Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 10:20 AM

14 posts, read 18,885 times

Advertisements

My family (we have a middle school child) may move to Kenai from Tennessee. Anyone have any thoughts on the positives/negatives of life there? We would make just over $100,000 per year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 11:08 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,614,728 times
I think the biggest challenge on the Peninsula is a good job. But it sounds like you have that covered. Positives: hiking, hunting, fishing. Negatives: a degree of isolation.

Old 10-12-2016, 02:55 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,188,802 times
Lots colder than you are use to. Lots of people there and lots to do to keep you and kid busy! The job is the most important part of the move.

Old 10-12-2016, 03:14 PM

Thanks for the reply! Anyone know anything about the school systems? On par/better with an average system?

Old 10-13-2016, 01:20 AM

17 posts, read 31,097 times
I don't know much about the average school system, but the schools here are pretty good in my opinion. Take a look at the kpbsd website, they have info about the schools, and wider district info. Also, $100,000 a year should be fine living in Kenai. Kenai is a nice place to live.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:47 AM

10,555 posts, read 7,750,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albus1 View Post
Thanks for the reply! Anyone know anything about the school systems? On par/better with an average system?
I think the HS gets good marks. Here's a fun story about one of their recent graduates, a star athlete and very good student. Straight A's and NCAAs: Allie Ostrander Is America's Next Running Phenom

Old 10-13-2016, 10:19 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,823,601 times
Soldotna is only 10 or 11 miles from Kenai...and Sterling another 10 miles from Soldotna. You probably don't have to live in Kenai if you find something you like outside of Kenai proper. Soldotna also has schools.

Old 10-18-2016, 11:23 PM

I know there was a minor earthquake today and we have some small earthquakes here but how concerned should we be about earthquakes if we make the move? just thinking about the kid. My wife is already concerned about bears... The beauty may trump anything and make the move likely but want to make sure we think about everything. I don't want to move to Alaska and then move out after a year or two because we didn't think through any real possibilities

Old 10-18-2016, 11:51 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,823,601 times
Alaska has daily earthquakes, most of which we don't feel. Earthquakes | Alaska Earthquake Center

Living in the Kenai area...you can look across Cook Inlet and see 3 of the 4 resident volcano's. Seeing one of those go off is even better than feeling a good mag 5 or 6 earthquake! Alaska Volcano Observatory

Don't worry too much about the bears. If you come across a sow with cubs...grab a cub! The sow will not risk hurting her cub! Once she has calmed down, you can set the cub down and send it on it's way. If it's a male...make eye contact, stare that son of a gun down, and make yourself big. Put your arms up and make yourself appear big. If it charges, you charge. Then drop to one knee and give that rascal a paralyzer punch to the choad. That'll stop him!

Or bear spray. Bear spray works pretty good too.

Old 10-19-2016, 10:42 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,614,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Don't worry too much about the bears. If you come across a sow with cubs...grab a cub! The sow will not risk hurting her cub! Once she has calmed down, you can set the cub down and send it on it's way. If it's a male...make eye contact, stare that son of a gun down, and make yourself big. Put your arms up and make yourself appear big. If it charges, you charge. Then drop to one knee and give that rascal a paralyzer punch to the choad. That'll stop him!

Or bear spray. Bear spray works pretty good too.
Growing up in Southeast we were always taught to grab the bear by its tongue and yank hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska