Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 03:54 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,189,773 times

Advertisements

No restrictions on mag capacity in Alaska.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2016, 03:53 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,118,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska-47 View Post
I tend to prefer military grade firearms for their reliability, versatility and options. I currently own an AR15, SR25 pattern .308 rifle, an AK47 and M1 carbine. Unfortunately here in California they have some ridiculous restrictions on military grade firearms. Needless to say, there's going to be some need for restocking once I get settled in.

I know that Alaska has some of the loosest gun laws in the nation, but in the entire 7 years I lived on the Kenai peninsula, I only saw one military grade firearm, and it was an M1 Garand. Have things at all changed, or am I going to have to hunt down allot of parts and accessories?

Also, what's a good way to go about getting firearms to Alaska? Canada won't tolerate any firearms from my collection going through their country. LOL I spoke with a gun shop in Anchorage and they not only wanted a pretty penny for each gun, but said I had to undergo a background check as well, which I can't afford to be waiting around in Anchorage for.
Gun shops in anchorage are a nightmare unless you go to sportsmans or the like. I found a little pawn shop in mt view that only charged $25 but it was still a painful process to transfer a gun I already owned, very painful.

I wonder if taking the gun apart and sending it through the regular mail would work. I have sent the trigger assembly down to the lower 48 to get the pull reduced on my HK91 and the post office said it was no big deal and I know you can order barrels from HK through regular mail so maybe part it out and just mail it. Then you can get tracking and all that and get yourself a UPS store box and that's about the best you can do in AK.

Not sure what the threshold is for a gun "part", can you take the bolt and carrier out of a bolt action rifle and mail the stock and barrel? Do you have to have the stock removed some how, might have to ask the guy at the post office.

The issue is you have to have someone on the other end willing to part the gun up and mail it out which is more work.

Old 12-08-2016, 06:31 PM

59 posts, read 62,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
No restrictions on mag capacity in Alaska.
Even conservative states with few gun restrictions put limits on magazine capacity when hunting. Typically 3 to 5 rounds. Never made any sense to me, but they do. Are you saying that Alaska doesn't have this issue?

Old 12-08-2016, 06:44 PM

2,136 posts, read 2,313,333 times
I recently moved from Alaska to Washington state, I built a pair of crates and packaged my firearms in them, then took them to Alaska airlines and freighted them to Seattle where I picked them up.

Cheaper and easier than going through an FFL or messing with the legalities of Canada.

Old 12-08-2016, 07:00 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,189,773 times
Quote:
Even conservative states with few gun restrictions put limits on magazine capacity when hunting. Typically 3 to 5 rounds. Never made any sense to me, but they do. Are you saying that Alaska doesn't have this issue?
The only restrictions is the federal 3 rounds for shotgun migratory birds.

Old 12-08-2016, 07:39 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,171,758 times
Quote:
I;ve never read any rules in the regs about mag capacity issues, even in hunting. I used an AR-10 last year to back up a bow hunting buddy for bear. Encountered a brown shirt as well.

Old 12-08-2016, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Gun shops in anchorage are a nightmare unless you go to sportsmans or the like. I found a little pawn shop in mt view that only charged $25 but it was still a painful process to transfer a gun I already owned, very painful.

I wonder if taking the gun apart and sending it through the regular mail would work. I have sent the trigger assembly down to the lower 48 to get the pull reduced on my HK91 and the post office said it was no big deal and I know you can order barrels from HK through regular mail so maybe part it out and just mail it. Then you can get tracking and all that and get yourself a UPS store box and that's about the best you can do in AK.

Not sure what the threshold is for a gun "part", can you take the bolt and carrier out of a bolt action rifle and mail the stock and barrel? Do you have to have the stock removed some how, might have to ask the guy at the post office.

The issue is you have to have someone on the other end willing to part the gun up and mail it out which is more work.
You may want to check the laws on handguns and mailing.

A rifle or shotgun can be mailed from yourself to yourself, and I believe to a gunsmith.

Old 12-12-2016, 06:32 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,118,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
You may want to check the laws on handguns and mailing.

A rifle or shotgun can be mailed from yourself to yourself, and I believe to a gunsmith.
I know that barrels can be mailed direct from HK distributer as well as other parts and pieces but maybe the frame is where they get you ...

You just have to ask the post office guy, if he does not care and is willing to process it then its a done deal.

Old 12-12-2016, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
I know that barrels can be mailed direct from HK distributer as well as other parts and pieces but maybe the frame is where they get you ...

You just have to ask the post office guy, if he does not care and is willing to process it then its a done deal.
Until the guy on the other end nails you. Don't risk it with the handgun.

Old 12-12-2016, 11:02 PM

681 posts, read 1,207,531 times
Right from the USPS regs: "Parts of handguns are mailable, except for handgun frames, receivers or other parts or components regulated under Chapter 44, Title 18, U.S.C."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska