Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 01:15 AM

1,931 posts, read 2,168,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitgreb View Post
No the more that really don't want to be here the better! You remember the saying?
They are leaving because of a job loss. That's different. I'll be honest. I love Alaska and I love teaching. If I lost my job and couldn't find another one in the state, I'd leave too if it meant I got to continue teaching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2017, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I'd rather the layabouts leave instead of hanging around wrecking the place. These people are just leaving because of work.

Anyway, kind of makes you wonder what's going to happen to the schools with all the teacher cuts.
This response if for my lap top tomorrow. It's going to get ugly.

Old 04-01-2017, 02:32 PM

468 posts, read 799,128 times
I think it is going to get ugly too. My husband is a school counselor and his rural district cut half of their counselors. I am upset for the kids. Sometimes the school counselor is their only quick access to a mental health person. Some of the issues he has dealt with have been heartbreaking and now the kids won't have those school counselors available.

He may have been able to find another rural job but there is no guarantee that it won't just be cut again next year. We also have been living apart for the better part of five years. Healthcare in most villages is not enough to satisfy our oldest's medical needs so after a year in a village, we moved to Homer while he worked away from us during the school year. Between the economy and our living situation, we decided the Lower 48 would be better for now.

Old 04-01-2017, 02:41 PM

628 posts, read 818,273 times
So why all the budget cuts in the State? What is the root problem of this?

Old 04-01-2017, 02:53 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrishawke View Post
An economy that depends on extractive industries.

Old 04-01-2017, 03:07 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,268,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunabell View Post
It has been an amazing 6 years but we are packing up and moving on. My husband's job was eliminated due to the education budget cuts. We decided that there isn't a point in trying to stay with the current economic outlook. He was just offered a job in Colorado and we are going.

I am going to miss this amazing state. It is unlike anything else. I loved my time on the North Slope and I have loved living in Homer. I will definitely miss my view. I will miss, at least once I move, all the little inconveniences that come with living in this state. Oh and the northern lights! How I will miss you too!

To those looking to move here, just accept that this place is nuts, in the best way possible. Forget how you used to do things because that won't be how you will be doing them here. Just embrace it and roll with it! You will meet some of the most amazing people and have the most amazing experiences if you let yourself have them. That being said, the economic outlook isn't good so also be sure you have employment to afford the rest of it!

I will miss you, Alaska!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
I am also headed out of Alaska in 5 weeks for a better job in Washington state. I live just up from you in the Soldotna area. I love visiting Homer and we make the trip several times per year. I'm definitely gonna miss this quirky weird place!
While I am glad you got to live there, I am sorry you both have to leave (I've recently had to accept I likely won't ever get to move there but I'll visit when I can).

Best wishes to you and yours, and I hope you find things you love about your new locations!

Old 04-01-2017, 03:26 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrishawke View Post
Stupidity (among the voters) and greed (among both voters and politicians). Most of the voters were paid off through the PFD and didn't start crying until they were in danger of losing it. Now they're crying about the possibility of an income tax. Anyone with half a brain saw this coming years ago, but the voters wouldn't listen to those who tried to warn them because they were afraid they'd lose their precious little PFDs.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 04-01-2017 at 03:46 PM..

Old 04-01-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Stupidity (among the voters) and greed. Most of the voters were paid off through the PFD and didn't start crying until they were in danger of losing it. Now they're crying about the possibility of an income tax.
Gov. Walker visited our schools the other week. As unpopular as his decision was to cut that pfd, it was what was needed to slow the bleeding. More needs to be done. Taxing or drilling more alone won't solve our problem. Politicians that only care about themselves or getting respected are not the solution.

Gov. Walker said he made a decision that he believed was needed and was best for the state. He also said he hopes it is a short term issue. The man made a very tough decision. He's not backing down. He's leading. He is still trying to fix our budget, and I really don't think he cares that it may cause him not to be reelected. He wants to solve it.

Old 04-01-2017, 06:01 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
I'm aware. My comments weren't about Walker. This thing predates your time here.

Old 04-01-2017, 06:07 PM

7,534 posts, read 17,221,758 times
Quote:
I'm aware. My comments weren't about Walker. This thing predates your time here.
To me the notion that 90% of your state economy can be built on extraction and have the citizenry pay no state income or state sales tax (and the majority paying no local sales tax in Anchorage) for decades is so so foolish. This entire situation could have been avoided through modest financial planning. Kudos to Walker for inheriting a long-time mess and doing some politically unfortunate things. I believe in 30-50 years he will be regarded as an excellent governor for this state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska