Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 11:17 PM

1,331 posts, read 2,999,599 times

Advertisements

OK, it looks like the wife and I will be moving up to the Anchorage area within the next 6-8 weeks. Hell, it's more than "looks like," it's just a matter of finalizing dates.

I was born and raised in western Pennsylvania, just outside of Pittsburgh. To say that I am a Steelers' fan would be a colossal understatement. To that point, it looks like I'm going to have to go with DirecTV so that I can get the NFL Sunday Ticket.

That being said, how is satellite TV reception and coverage up there? I don't relish the thought of having to drive to a sports bar in the dead of winter, especially when it is illegal for a native Pennsylvanian to watch a Steelers game without a beer in his/her hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 01:42 AM

2,628 posts, read 6,886,848 times
Well, according to this map I found:

The prospects may be poor. Everyone I know in Alaska has cable... and a lot of them don't have tv at all!
GCI is the big name in cable up here, I'd scour their website to see if maybe you could get your games through them. Otherwise, it may be off to the sports bar for you... and that's if you can convince them to turn it from the Seahawks!

Whoops, I may have lied. Check this out:
DIRECTV - Alaska and Hawaii

Old 03-09-2008, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post

The prospects may be poor. Everyone I know in Alaska has cable... and a lot of them don't have tv at all!
GCI is the big name in cable up here, I'd scour their website to see if maybe you could get your games through them. Otherwise, it may be off to the sports bar for you... and that's if you can convince them to turn it from the Seahawks!

ROFL! I wasn't joking Xa'at about Pittsburgh loyalties. It's ingrained in our blood. Do a Google search of top NFL quarterbacks from western PA and you'll see what I mean.

I've seen several ads from DirecTV regarding their AK coverage and I'm hoping that they're not full of poo. I know about GCI considering that I work for Comcast here in San Jose. God I wish I could make the money up there that I make here but it's simply not feasible or correlative. Thank goodness that the wife deals drugs professionally.

Old 03-09-2008, 01:53 AM

I went to Pittsburgh a few years ago. I'm sure it's a very nice place, but I'm a total snob. I like my air clean, my mountains huge, my salmon fresh, and my ground not paved!
One of the taxicab drivers was telling me about these mountains that were just east of the city, or something. I was like, "ok, sure, we can call those mountains!"
In any case, I stuck out like a sore thumb. Couldn't wait to get home.

Old 03-09-2008, 03:10 AM

Quote:
I went to Pittsburgh a few years ago. I'm sure it's a very nice place, but I'm a total snob. I like my air clean, my mountains huge, my salmon fresh, and my ground not paved!
One of the taxicab drivers was telling me about these mountains that were just east of the city, or something. I was like, "ok, sure, we can call those mountains!"
Actually, Pittsburgh is an incredibly clean city. The old stereotypes went out the window over 30 years ago when the steel industry imploded. I spent 17 of my 38 years living right in the heart of Pittsburgh.

And no, any true Burgher sure as hell wouldn't call the hills surrounding the city "mountains." He must have been fresh off the boat from Punjab.

This is after the Super Bowl 2006.

I'm somewhere in this mess. It was about 20 degrees and the snow was coming down. The cops closed off 2 miles of the most popular bar strip in Pittsburgh, where my girl/friend lived, and we all went into the streets to celebrate our victory. There were no cars burned, no fights, no violence. Just plenty of exuberant drunkenness. That's why I'm a Burgher and will remain so until they nail my pine box shut.

Old 03-09-2008, 03:19 AM

It is, of course, possible that we have differing ideas of "clean".
I have found most metropolises that I have visited are really quite disgusting. Seattle is mostly nice with a few grungy areas, and Portland is positively sparkling. I think Nashville ("The air's just different here!") was probably the worst, but Pittsburgh was not exactly pine scented either.
There were some beautiful churches in the downtown area, though. A couple of restaurants that were impressive as well.

Old 03-09-2008, 03:28 AM

Quote:
It is, of course, possible that we have differing ideas of "clean".
I have found most metropolises that I have visited are really quite disgusting. Seattle is mostly nice with a few grungy areas, and Portland is positively sparkling. I think Nashville ("The air's just different here!") was probably the worst, but Pittsburgh was not exactly pine scented either.
There were some beautiful churches in the downtown area, though. A couple of restaurants that were impressive as well.
Eh, making a short visit and living there for a couple of decades will tend to change some opinions.

However, my wife and I can't wait to get up there. Obviously, we are used to cold weather and that isn't going to bother us in the slightest. Plus, given my wife's income, the tax situation is going to benefit us greatly. That's the primary reason I HATE California. The state income tax rate for us would have been 9.25% and the sales tax is 8.25%. The math is simple and I relish the thought of not having to worry about "registering" my firearms, which I absolutely refuse to do so here in CA. Nancy Pelosi, go to hell.

Last edited by Classic Satch; 03-09-2008 at 03:41 AM..

Old 03-09-2008, 09:14 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,857,528 times
Quote:

Hummmmmmm- Lied?, Hummmmmmm, I might suspect you guilty of several differing things, like, operating a sense of humor without a license, or being both intelligent and literate, or, occasional fits of compassion for another human being, or several other specie of animals, perhaps even the near felonious " smiling in public" but...Lying? Lying entails intent! and often ulterior motive. Perhaps the crime here is merely misdemeanor "being mistaken in public" I've been guilty of the same infraction slightly more than several thousand times myself.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:14 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,947,412 times
Quote:
I lived in Evans City for a year, then moved to West Deer Township. All of the properties that we looked at in Pittsburgh were either dirty, ugly or too expensive. The area around Pitt was pretty clean but I really tried to avoid the rest of the city.

Old 03-09-2008, 01:06 PM

391 posts, read 1,029,879 times
Hmmm, yes you do get satellite tv in Alaska. Further south is most likely better because of satellites being in geosynchronous orbit over the lower 48. However, ALOT of people both inside and outside of Fairbanks (pretty far north) use either Dish or DirectTV. Works pretty darn good when I used it (without going into the +/-s of local channels, prices, etc). Most interesting thing about it (to me) is where the receiver dishes point...actually TOWARDS the ground. Works, but I haven't figured that one out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska