Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 10:30 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,616,843 times

Advertisements

Zuckerberg has screwed us all: https://www.facebook.com/zuck/posts/10103857892105091
I'm anticipating a new wave of "I'm coming to Alaska to join a Native Corporation and live off the land" posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 11:01 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
He forgot to mention that Alaska can't pay its bills.

ETA he also forgot to mention Alaska's extremely high rate of welfare and food stamps despite these "social safety net programs."

So sick of idiots. "The check" isn't a social safety net program, and neither are the Native corps or subsistence fishing. You're probably right that the stupid post will inspire a whole new wave of Alaska dreamers.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 07-05-2017 at 11:15 AM..

Old 07-05-2017, 12:30 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,104,882 times
Influx of idiotic questions in 3, 2, ...

Old 07-05-2017, 12:43 PM

Uhh... ADN seems to be practicing creative reading skills. Selective reading? Alternative reading? Dumbassery? I guess they didn't want to actually print in words just how grossly incorrect Fancypants' fb post is.

"Explaining how the PFD works" is an extremely kind characterization of Zuckerberg's long-winded post. News schmews. Who says it needs to be accurate.

Mark Zuckerberg spent the holiday in Alaska. Here’s what the Facebook CEO learned.

Author: Annie Zak
Updated: 31 minutes ago
Published 1 hour ago

Facebook co-founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg spent his Fourth of July holiday in Alaska, fishing and kayaking in the Homer area.

Alaska seems to have made an impression on the billionaire, who penned a long Facebook post in admiration of the state's Permanent Fund dividend, subsistence fishing and Alaska Native corporations.

"One thing that stood out to us is how different Alaska's social safety net programs are in a way that provides some good lessons for the rest of our country," Zuckerberg wrote, explaining how the PFD works and touting it as an example of basic income.

He said he also spent time learning about Alaska Native corporations and how those dividends work.

Much of Zuckerberg's post centered on the idea of Alaska having a unique social safety net, including subsistence fishing.

"(A) common issue with safety net programs is stigma for participating, but here everyone we met was proud of this — both for its cultural heritage and for the individual accomplishment of catching and preparing their salmon," he wrote.

He posted photos of an otter he and his wife, Priscilla Chan, kayaked past in Kachemak Bay State Park, and a bald eagle they spotted on the Fourth of July.

Their trip to Alaska was part of Zuckerberg's "Year of Travel" challenge, through which he's planning to visit and meet people in every state by the end of the year.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2017...at-he-learned/

Old 07-05-2017, 12:44 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,305,335 times
Zuckerberg is hanging out in homer now? It's officially Yuppieville California 2.0 down there now I guess. I got out just in time. Hopefully his elitist friends don't start buying up even more vacation homes in homer.

Old 07-05-2017, 12:55 PM

10,560 posts, read 7,758,541 times
I gathered that his post was essentially a plug for the "basic income" approach which he, along with some other prominent and wealthy Americans such as Bill Gates, favors.

You know, insuring that everyone has a minimum amount of cash in their pockets, whether they are employed or not. Sounds good, but not really feasible at this time IMO.

Old 07-05-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Zuckerberg is hanging out in homer now? It's officially Yuppieville California 2.0 down there now I guess. I got out just in time. Hopefully his elitist friends don't start buying up even more vacation homes in homer.
Too late. Marin County 2.0 is on like MF Donkey Kong

Old 07-05-2017, 01:00 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Interesting how he paints subsistence fishing as a "social safety net" and acts all surprised because
Quote:
A common issue with safety net programs is stigma for participating, but here everyone we met was proud of this
FFS.

Old 07-05-2017, 01:45 PM

3,889 posts, read 4,543,431 times
Wow! I didn't know Alaska was so socially progressive! I think I heard that there are a lot of guns up there though. Being from California I'm definitely not used to that, and I'm a vegan so I wouldn't need or want one for hunting. Does Alaska have really tight regulations on guns?... are there communities up there that ban them? I really don't want any neighbors who use guns, and if you can point me to the vegan restaurants and a PETA chapter up there, that would be rad!
I don't have a lot of money so the check would be great! I can live in a tent in the wilderness right?

I kid... I just wanted to make Riceme happy.

(Oh, but I AM from California... bwaaa haa ha!)

Old 07-05-2017, 01:50 PM

5 posts, read 5,183 times
"organizations think profoundly differently when they're profitable than when they're in debt. When you're losing money, your mentality is largely about survival."

Someone needs to show this to our Governor and Legislators.

Last edited by 907Bob; 07-05-2017 at 02:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska