Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 01:19 AM

68 posts, read 183,834 times

Advertisements

Sheesh what a lovely night. My patients are all asleep. The ER is slow so no admissions. The end of the shift is 4 hours away.

I'd be bored to tears if it wasn't for you kind people.

How about a new thread....humor me. I go home tomorrow for a few days and I don't know when I'll get back to a computer again. I'll start this thread and see where it goes.

Everybody likes to EAT so participation is a given.

OKAY...I know you folks in Bethel like to eat salmon. The salmon I've had has been farm raised. I can hear you gagging already. I liked my farm raised salmon but, not being from Alaska; I acknowledge my naive palate.

Here's my question. Is there a place in Bethel that's like a seafood market? Is there a place where someone can just go and buy a fresh hunk of salmon and other fish? How about shellfish? I know that storebought goods are expensive, but how about locally harvested foods? How far to get fresh seafood?

When I went to Maine I expected fishmarkets swimming with fresh fish, lobsters, shrimp, shellfish and so on. I was a bit disappointed. I did find fish for sale, but it was at the supermarket.

If a fellow wanted to try some other stuff, like moose, elk, bear does he have to go shoot one; or can he buy some? I realize that selling meat has a lot of legal baggage attached to it.

I was reading up on burbot. Now that sounds interesting. A fish that tastes like lobster. I happen to like lobster but I also think it's over rated and over priced. When I went to Bangor Maine one of my first objective was to obtain a live lobster and do the boiled alive thing. I must say it was good, but at 6 bucks a pound I got a few bites of meat, some juice and a lot of empty shell.

Then I tried mussels. Man, they were good and a lot cheaper too. Still, a bunch of shell and a few bites of mussel. In December Maine shrimp came in season. FINALLY I thought..some honest to goodness 'seafood' fresh off the pier. I must admit, Maine shrimp are tasty but I'm guessing the krill in Alaska are bigger. I bought three pounds of whole, fresh shrimp for 89 cents a pound. After two hours of work I had about a cup of peeled, cooked shrimp and....you guessed it....a bunch of shells.

I want to make some GOOD chowder with REAL fish stock I made myself from a fish carcass. I want to broil some fresh WILD salmon with just salt and pepper. I want to try some WILD mussels picked from the rocks, and FRESH halibut and rockfish. Oh...and the burbot...a must try. And trout. I have NEVER EVEN tasted trout; much less wild ones.

Yes, I have lived an impoverished existence.

Last edited by Jeff Emler; 03-12-2008 at 01:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 01:37 AM

201 posts, read 823,070 times
I thought there would be a punchline when I opened this thread. Darn!!

I'm not in Bethel. Here we can get shrimp and crab from a trailer stand, it costs much more than what I paid in the lower 48, even when the crab is caught up here. Funny how that works. As far as fish, you buy herring here in the grocery store. And then you use it as bait. All the fresh salmon, dolly varden, pacific cod, ummm... trout... oh and of course best of all- HALIBUT you would like to eat here for merely the cost of a fishing licence and gear, not sold in the grocery.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:46 AM

2,628 posts, read 6,887,802 times
Quote:
What do you eat in Bethel besides salmon?
Oh, the usual. French toast, hamburgers, other people...

Old 03-13-2008, 04:18 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,861,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
Oh, the usual. French toast, hamburgers, other people...
oh wow, you left out some of my personal favorites, like.... small children, snakes, snails, aardvark tongue, tourists, cats, wolf eye soup, brown bear snout sandwiches, whale blubber, fried seal skins et al.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:12 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,127,072 times
There is no seafood market here. My mother has this trade thing going with her cousins out on the coast. Every spring she goes ice fishing for dried pike fish and trades it with her cousins out on Nunivak Island for reindeer meat and seal. Also trades the dried pike for other meats like caribou or moose. We have your order/dine in restaurants here that serves a wide variety of food. Theres three pizza joints here along with 7 Korean owned take outs. The local grocery stores here have seafood, frozen not fresh. You can normally eat anything you can get from down states, not as fresh though.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:32 AM

68 posts, read 183,834 times
My question was sincere.

I like salmon, but I also dream of a seafood smorgasbord.

I figured I'd never have time to catch all I'd like to try.

I would love to stumble on to a fishmarket full of everything from ling cod to gooey-ducks.

I can't wait to try burbot.

I never meant to imply anything negative.

Thanks for the informative replies aquariusmom and warptman.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:22 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,954,115 times
So warpt? Are there any sushi restaurants in Bethel?

Old 03-13-2008, 11:50 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,127,072 times
Yes, we have one of those. The VIP Restaurant. I don't care much for sushi.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:58 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,244,635 times
Isn't your answer, Warpt, supposed to be "blood oranges"? Bought a bag of them at Trader Joes the other day for $1.99. Yummers! And thought of you Warpt!

Old 03-13-2008, 01:03 PM

5,459 posts, read 8,178,236 times
To elaborate a little on what warptman said: fish that you buy in Bethel at a grocery store or restaurant, even if it originated in Alaskan waters, will not be any fresher than what you buy in the lower 48. Often it is less fresh. It has to go through the normal food distribution chain. Before Alaskan caught fish reaches Bethel, It has probably already been in the lower 48.

If you want fresh fish in Bethel you have to catch it yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska