Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 06:11 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times

Advertisements

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2017...out-nightmare/

People sometimes ask what's the worst that can happen if they take on a seafood processing job. I suppose things could be worse for this crew -- they could have all drowned. The crew are literally stuck with no way to get home. Some have even lost their homes due to not being paid.

Here's something I can do for anyone wanting to work processing in Alaska -- PM me. I'm not hiring, but I can find out if the person you're thinking about working for is legit or a grifter. Word travels really fast in Alaska's seafood processing industry. I would have warned anyone who asked away from this guy. Still owes me money from three years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 07:56 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,614,728 times
I had seen the headline but hadn't read the story... Unfortunately it's not the first time something like that has happened and it probably won't be the last. That's why I always say don't come unless you've got the money stashed away to get out of here.
Thanks for sharing Met.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:50 PM

I know -- in a perfect world, everyone would have the price of a ticket home in their pocket. People who hire on with processors shouldn't have to worry about a ticket home or being paid, though. Those who take these jobs aren't usually in the best financial places -- and these guys were out at sea for weeks with no cell service and no internet service -- they didn't know their pay hadn't gone through direct deposit as promised.

As far as this guy, he's been around the commercial processing industry for over 50 years. Idiot should be wealthy by now, but stupidity doesn't pay well.

Quote:
"I guess this will all be sorted out in court, sad to say," said Lang, pledging that he will pay the crew first if any money is raised from the processing, sale of the fish, or the sale of the Akutan.
This makes me furious. He's basically saying is that his crew is SOL. If you don't have the working capital to pay your crew, you don't belong in business. My crew got paid even though Larry Lang ripped me off for thousands of dollars and sold every last bit of the product he never paid for.

Was just gonna write his debt off and be glad we no longer do business with him, but it'll be turned it over to collections now.

I am contacting the AMSI and others to see what we can do for these people. Some of them got tickets back home from AFG, at least.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 08-18-2017 at 09:11 PM..

Old 08-18-2017, 10:15 PM

2,039 posts, read 1,657,346 times
Or the processing plant you are working in goes up in flames.

Old 08-19-2017, 12:13 AM

3,573 posts, read 2,880,685 times
That's right, two processing tragedies this week. Thanks Met for posting the F/V Akutan fiasco, that's unconscionable, and your right, no excuse for the man behind it.

The other tragedy was the burning of the Peter Pan plant, I was working Tridents Chignik Bay plant when it burned in 2008, so many tried to save it, but old timbers and limited support makes it hard. Thank god in both instances there were no serious injuries.

Old 08-19-2017, 01:25 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,002,874 times
Somehow I get the feeling the whole story is not being told. Beyond the crew not being paid things just don't add up. I find it very odd that Bristol Bay Seafoods invested $400,000 upfront in a boat that looked like it was next in line to be cut up for scrap and was owned by someone that lost a lot of money the year before and then severed their ties with Icicle Seafoods. I really get the feeling this whole venture was never meant to succeed.

Old 08-19-2017, 01:55 AM

Larry Lang talks a good game, and he had a positive enough relationship with tribal in Klawock when he rented their old cannery facilities for eight years, which probably gave him some credibility with Bristol Bay Seafoods (which is a startup run by business amateurs anyway). Chances are that Bristol Bay Seafoods never even saw the boat prior to signing a contract with Larry -- and losing a lot of money the year before in the seafood industry isn't necessarily a red flag; some districts were even declared disaster areas because of low pink runs. There was a lot of money lost in the North Pacific in 2016. Not standing up for Larry at all, but I can see how someone could be taken in, especially since those guys were pretty anxious to stick it to the big processors.

I honestly don't know what the end game would be if this were some sort of setup to fail. There's no gain.

ETA although it would come as no surprise if some of that money didn't end up in Larry's pocket.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 08-19-2017 at 03:20 AM..

Old 08-19-2017, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
That's right, two processing tragedies this week. Thanks Met for posting the F/V Akutan fiasco, that's unconscionable, and your right, no excuse for the man behind it.

The other tragedy was the burning of the Peter Pan plant, I was working Tridents Chignik Bay plant when it burned in 2008, so many tried to save it, but old timbers and limited support makes it hard. Thank god in both instances there were no serious injuries.
That's pretty sad -- I think that's the only employer in that town? Doesn't seem likely they'll rebuild

Old 08-19-2017, 08:11 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,785,557 times
Um...

You'd best do your homework before signing on to a "processor" up there.

I busted my hump for years out there in Dutch Harbor, the Aleutians, Cold Bay, Chignik and all the rest...and it sucked.

Low pay, low respect, high risk, distant aloof owners and managers safe in Seattle.

You're out there slinging 150 pound sacks of rock-hard frozen sea "food"....crappy busted equipment....risking your life on some World War Two era POS "Ship" for Fish "MiK-nuggets".....

Crazy.
You'd best have a plan "B"....to get you through to the rest of your natural life....if you go up there.

Old 08-19-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Cells View Post
Um...

I busted my hump for years out there in Dutch Harbor, the Aleutians, Cold Bay, Chignik and all the rest...and it sucked.

Why did you keep going back?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska