Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 11:37 AM

459 posts, read 585,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
You're too damned dumb to even bother with this morning, but wth, I've got some extra time. You were crying about this, in your own words:

I pointed out that they pay sales tax and debunked your crying about how they give nothing back. If you knew even a fraction of what you think you know, you'd know that it isn't just industry and tourists who pay sales taxes in these Alaskan communities. Every time the average King Cove resident goes to the grocery, they're paying sales tax (elders are exempt).

I also pointed out their extremely low unemployment rate to counteract your crying about how they "contribute nothing."

I have no idea what amount of federal funding or oil money King Cove gets for their schools and have better things to do on a sunny Sunday morning than research it (I think they're federal subsidies may be less due to being a first class city rather thana designated village); my point was the community doesn't seem to be the haven for layabouts that you're claiming it to be.
Well if you have better things to do then go do them ... never mind - it doesn't matter cause you don't matter. Just another forum queen with nothing to do.

have a great day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2017, 11:54 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
And you're just another stupid old man with nothing better to do than bray insults every time one of your asinine claims is debunked. Are you going to start crying about my post count next the way you did with the poster who disagreed with you in another conversation? You should stay in the Alabama forum where you belong.

Quote:
Well if you have better things to do then go do them
Nah, it's raining.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 12-18-2017 at 12:24 PM..

Old 12-18-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Or is this more important -- living in a community that contributes back to society, be it ever so little, and pays a fair share for what is received? Hum, interesting concept and it applies equally in many, many places, certainly not unique to Alaska.
It certainly applies to your Alabama, fourth on the list of deadbeat states. Alaska is something like 23rd. Perhaps you should work on cleaning up your own backwoods backyard before trolling this forum with your constant crying.

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-mos...vernment/2700/

Old 12-19-2017, 12:18 PM

459 posts, read 585,782 times
Quote:
It certainly applies to your Alabama, fourth on the list of deadbeat states. Alaska is something like 23rd. Perhaps you should work on cleaning up your own backwoods backyard before trolling this forum with your constant crying.

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-mos...vernment/2700/

Heck, if you really work at it you might hit 20,000 post before 2018 ---

You really think 23rd ... not if you count the non-countable ... lol

Yep - lived in Fairbanks 38 years and happy to leave after most every idiot from everyplace else moved in. Then rural Virginia for 16. Only been in Alabama 6 months and like it a LOT. Of course we don't have the mega-posters and business tycoons like you to carry our water but I hope to get by.

Have a great day my man ... and
Attached Thumbnails
King Cove Road-relax.jpg  

Old 12-19-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Heck, if you really work at it you might hit 20,000 post before 2018
Yep, right on cue. So sadly predictable and unoriginal.

I'm sure you fit right in in Alabama, but even that state is changing to leave your sort in the dust, grandpa.

Old 12-19-2017, 05:03 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,599,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
No, I'm referring to the extraction industries that will now be able to point to the King Cove road and say that they can pave over a refuge or a Wilderness area too.
It’s a one lane gravel road not a super highway.

Old 12-19-2017, 08:25 PM

So is a single lane gravel road actually going to be that useful if someone is hurt and needs to be transported to Cold Bay? I know I'd rather be on a Coast Guard medivac if I had a heart attack or got mauled by a bear instead of bouncing down a gravel road at a snail's pace.

Old 12-20-2017, 03:27 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,189,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
King Cove officials keep a list of the medical evacuations by plane or boat to Cold Bay, an exhaustive catalog of suffering and treatment delays for problems like fractures, heart problems and a fisherman crushed by a 600-pound cod trap. The area's frequent bad weather can make the trip to Cold Bay impossible at times — the local borough says at least 19 people have died because of the road's absence, and in 1980 a medical flight departing King Cove killed four people.

Again I ask which is more important, ducks or people?
Met: where do you think the Coast Guard was when the 19 people died?

Old 12-20-2017, 10:14 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Quote:
So is a single lane gravel road actually going to be that useful if someone is hurt and needs to be transported to Cold Bay? I know I'd rather be on a Coast Guard medivac if I had a heart attack or got mauled by a bear instead of bouncing down a gravel road at a snail's pace.
I've done 80 mph on those gravel roads in Cold Bay. Hardly a snail's pace. It takes time for a flight from Anchorage or Kodiak to reach Cold Bay. A patient could be brought over from King Cove way before the medivac flight ever arrives. There is a clinic in Cold Bay where a patient can be kept while waiting for the flight to arrive. Or the ambulance could time its departure from King Cove to coincide with the medivac's arrival at Cold Bay.

Most people who have an opinion on this road have never been to Cold Bay and have never been to King Cove. They don't understand the situation and just parrot mindless garbage promulgated by eco fascists. Given a blank map of Alaska most couldn't even find either town. But they're all experts on why the road shouldn't be built. Well, I'm from Cold Bay and I stand with the people of King Cove on this.

Old 12-20-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
Met: where do you think the Coast Guard was when the 19 people died?
Hey, I just asked a question and made an observation. Apparently, that part of Alaska has better gravel roads that what I'm used to (nothing but potholes on mine, we depend heavily on medivac, and yes, people die there too). I don't have much of an opinion on this, and I know how frustrating it is when everyone thinks they should have a say in what happens where you live -- but I just asked a question because I was interested in understanding the situation better.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 12-20-2017 at 12:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska