U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 11:39 AM

3 posts, read 26,284 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone! I have the hope of moving to Barrow, AK but I seem to be having a problem finding a place to rent (either a house or an apt). Can anyone help me out and give me some leads as to where I can find someplace to live before I arrive? Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 12:30 PM

1,930 posts, read 1,795,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justmy1op View Post
Hello Everyone! I have the hope of moving to Barrow, AK but I seem to be having a problem finding a place to rent (either a house or an apt). Can anyone help me out and give me some leads as to where I can find someplace to live before I arrive? Thank you!
Are you moving for a job? If so, then I would reach out to my employer and get help from them.
Barrow is in the bush, and bush communities are not like anything you have ever experienced more than likely. Rentals are often found by word of mouth and the quality won't match the price.

If you are on Facebook, look for yard sale type sites for Barrow and there are often places advertised. Just understand that if you don't have a job, you probably won't be able to rent.

Why are you moving to Barrow?

Old 04-25-2018, 01:24 PM

975 posts, read 949,752 times
There isn't a Barrow, Alaska any more. It is now Utqiagvik, Alaska and if you can't pronounce it you shouldn't go there.

Old 04-25-2018, 01:40 PM

7,305 posts, read 13,487,224 times
At the present time there are no rentals available in Barrow on the private market. I personally know 8 residents there that have been waiting over 6 months for a rental to open up. When a vacancy does occur advertising is done via word-of-mouth.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:22 AM

First of all if your ugly attitude is indicative of the natives of BARROW then... There was certainly no need for the attitude. When people are not from a particular place they tend to call it what the majority of the people from the lower 48 tend to call it. I certainly meant no disrespect by calling your city Barrow. Clearly the long winters have gotten to you and you should visit the "Sunny State" -AKA- (Also Known As in case you don't know what that stands for) Florida and if you can't pronounce that well...

Old 05-10-2018, 09:28 AM

I f i get the position that I am applying for I was going to ask my employer for assistance. In the mean time I was just trying to do some research on my own but thanks. Also, I very much appreciate your kind reply, it's nice to know that there are people there with very helpful information and nice dispositions. I have taken your information to heart and will put it to good practice. Excellent suggestion! again Thank you!

Old 05-10-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
I f i get the position that I am applying for I was going to ask my employer for assistance. In the mean time I was just trying to do some research on my own but thanks. Also, I very much appreciate your kind reply, it's nice to know that there are people there with very helpful information and nice dispositions. I have taken your information to heart and will put it to good practice. Excellent suggestion! again Thank you!
Honestly, I would make sure I had housing lined up before I moved up. The job helps, but we have helped teachers who arrived with no house, and it sucked. They ended up sleeping in classrooms, until they could find a place.

Regardless, Barrow (I still call it Barrow, though I am trying to learn how to spell it correctly) is an interesting place according to my research. I would like to visit one day, but for now, I just get to admire from afar.

Old 05-10-2018, 06:17 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,638,402 times
Quote:
First of all if your ugly attitude is indicative of the natives of BARROW then... There was certainly no need for the attitude. When people are not from a particular place they tend to call it what the majority of the people from the lower 48 tend to call it. I certainly meant no disrespect by calling your city Barrow. Clearly the long winters have gotten to you and you should visit the "Sunny State" -AKA- (Also Known As in case you don't know what that stands for) Florida and if you can't pronounce that well...
Ohhh man. If you are going to get that butt hurt over a couple harmless comments, you might want to rethink your plan on moving up.

Old 05-10-2018, 06:20 PM

7,305 posts, read 13,487,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
Honestly, I would make sure I had housing lined up before I moved up. The job helps, but we have helped teachers who arrived with no house, and it sucked. They ended up sleeping in classrooms, until they could find a place.

Regardless, Barrow (I still call it Barrow, though I am trying to learn how to spell it correctly) is an interesting place according to my research. I would like to visit one day, but for now, I just get to admire from afar.

Barrow is an interesting place for a while. My 1 1/2 year there may have been 6 months too long. Housing all across the North Slope is in extremely short supply. The North Slope Borough even states that on their recruitment page. The police department even went to a 2 week on/ 2 weeks off schedule for officers in village assignments to free up those housing units they had been occupying.

The school district, the hospital and the AC Company are the only ones I know that still provide some housing in Barrow for their employees.

Old 05-10-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Barrow is an interesting place for a while. My 1 1/2 year there may have been 6 months too long. Housing all across the North Slope is in extremely short supply. The North Slope Borough even states that on their recruitment page. The police department even went to a 2 week on/ 2 weeks off schedule for officers in village assignments to free up those housing units they had been occupying.

The school district, the hospital and the AC Company are the only ones I know that still provide some housing in Barrow for their employees.
We got some friends that lived there for ten years. They said they lived there 8 years too long, but they just couldn’t leave.

Housing is a major concern in the bush. Many new people don’t understand that issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>