Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 01:10 PM

15 posts, read 62,920 times

Advertisements

I'm tryin'!! Can anyone tell me anything about Soldotna, such as employment, housing, land, climate, people, SUITABILITY FOR CHILDREN, ETC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2007, 01:34 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,819,676 times
Brief History: http://www.ci.soldotna.ak.us/community.html (broken link)
City stats: http://www.ci.soldotna.ak.us/city_statistics.html
Zoom in on the legend of this map: http://www.ci.soldotna.ak.us/pdf/2002zone11x17.pdf (broken link)
The town website: http://www.ci.soldotna.ak.us/

I live 10 miles away in Sterling. Soldotna is nice. Gets crowded in the summer due to tourist and out of towners. The Sterling highway runs right through town for those going south to Homer and other smaller communities, for fishing. 4 th of July I've see solid cars backed up from one end of town to the other, waiting at the couple stop lights. The Kenai River runs along most of the town and there is great salmon and trout fishing anywhere you can get at the river. Has a handfull of parks for the kids, a couple camp grounds and boat launches. Modern shopping and fast food joints as well as a good selection of fine restraunts. It's a nice place. Not to big and not real small.

Old 04-16-2007, 01:43 PM

I really appreciate that, Rance. I currently live in Redford, Michigan but will be relocating to the area with my wife and kids. what is the weather like in the winter?

Old 04-16-2007, 01:48 PM

It's not bad. Usually a little warmer than Sterling in the winter, but cooler in the summer. It's a little closer to the Cook Inlet. Can get as cold as 20 or 30 below once or twice in the winter, but does get 70's, 80's and even 90's in the summer. For work...you might find something in the Clarion (local paper) at www.peninsulaclarion.com and you may have to register. Or try
http://www.jobs.state.ak.us/ for something. What kind of trade or business are you in?
For the most part...the folks are great. Sure there are occasional DUI's and domestic things. And occasional drug busts. There are 2 highschools with football programs, and a handfull of elementary and middle schools. Plenty enough outdoor activities for kids all year round. Skiing and snowboarding, snowmachines, icefishing, biking, boating, cars, movie theaters, and on and on.

Old 04-16-2007, 01:56 PM

I am in the automotive field (my company inspects auto parts). I would hope to be able to find something comparable to what I am currently making, or at least relative to the area.

Old 04-16-2007, 02:01 PM

Well there are no assembly plants I know of here. But there are auto parts stores and places like Midas or Johnson Tire that service vehicles.

Old 04-16-2007, 02:16 PM

That's good to know. I would even entertain a different field all together.

Gotta log off for now, but will definately log back in tomorrow.

Take care everyone.....

Old 10-09-2007, 10:43 PM

4 posts, read 10,385 times
i can give you a quote as far as raising children in alaska. i grew up in alaska. born and raised there. granted i was raised in soldotna/sterling but i wouldnt want to be raised anywhere else. there are drugs and alcohol like in the states but not nearly as bad. i have traveled a bit since i graduated ive been all over the world and i would have to say alaska would be the ideal place for family. there are alot of things to adventure out and do exp. if you are a kid/pre-teen/teen/college kid. the schools are pretty much like the ones in the states. it isnt bad at all. the cost of living is a bit more but the pay is also a bit more than the lower 48 so i guess it all equals out. hope this helped.

Old 10-10-2007, 05:09 AM

6,424 posts, read 13,243,334 times
ha, another Michigander getting out. We are shooting for May.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:40 PM

6 posts, read 13,747 times
Default questions about soldotna?

Hello! My husband and I are natives of central fl. and a little over a year a go we recently completed building a new home on the scenic Withlacoochee River, just Nth of Dade city,fl. It's secluded and quiet and we like it but, over the past year something has been causing us to have a very strong interest in your beautiful state. We are expecting our first child in less than 2 months. We have done quiet a bit of research on the Anchorage, particularly Wasilla/palmer area but are a little concerned about the high growth rate. We have checked the city data average home prices/incomes etc. It appears that the income in Soldotna is slightly higher and the home prices are slightly lower. Can anyone tell us what the cost difference may be on food items,gas,merchandise,etc...property taxes vs. the palmer/wasilla area?? My husband is a heavy equipment mechanic and there would be an opp for him to transfer branches in any of those three places. We would rather live in Sol or Sterling area because of being away from the big city. I'm currently a Speech Therapist with the public schools...until our baby comes and then I want to make the transition into teaching at a comm. college/university...just out of the public schools. We want to rent for the 1st year and get a feel for where we want to live. Is there a lot in way of choices for renting in the sol/sterling area? Do you know of any websites of rentals/apartments? Any info would be helpful and thanks in advance!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska