Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 02:09 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,566,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
Yeah, it was. There was a patch of that really stiff seagrass growing right next to him and he was batting his hands at it like a cat.
Ok, you've got me laughing out loud in my cubicle at work. People are thinking I'm nuts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 02:29 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,544,358 times
The most interesting encounter was with the black wolf last winter. He got to about 10-15 feet away from my dog and I. While he's not known for attacking anyone, he did take a couple of small dogs to dinner. Or was it lunch?

The most startling encounter was a humpback whales surfacing about 15 yards away from the boat. While it's not uncommon to see them up close, this was the first time they popped up in the area I was fishing that day.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:39 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,888,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Seriously??? That cracked me up! I once walked by some bushes that had legs sticking out of them...legs of a passed out college kid. Classic!
Oh, I'm completely serious. He may have been talking to himself, but I'm not sure...

Old 03-27-2008, 02:40 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,888,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
The most interesting encounter was with the black wolf last winter. He got to about 10-15 feet away from my dog and I. While he's not known for attacking anyone, he did take a couple of small dogs to dinner. Or was it lunch?
Are you talking about Romeo? I hear talk that there's plans to move him somewhere away from civilization. Just too many people living in that area. We will miss him!

Old 03-27-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post

The most startling encounter was a humpback whales surfacing about 15 yards away from the boat. While it's not uncommon to see them up close, this was the first time they popped up in the area I was fishing that day.
Let's see, one winter while camping, I was walking around the park & there were tons of deer, just standing around staring at me. It was super quiet, very eerie. I slooowly backed away & returned to my site. Then another time camping, I saw a wolf just a few feet away from where we were sitting. It was at night & I had been under the influence let's just say so I wasn't sure if what I saw was real. The next day while driving, there in the middle of the road was my "wolf"....it ended up being someone's pet dog that was a hybrid dog, w/a collar & everything. It was big enough & certainly looked like a wolf though!

Old 03-27-2008, 02:53 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,416,728 times
For me it was last summer, I was out flying the kite somewhere between midnight and 1am. I was sitting there working to untangle a couple strings. All of the sudden I hear breathing behind me. I turn around and there was a moose no more than 15 feet away, perfectly situated between me and the car. After a couple minutes it wandered off, and I determined now would be a good time to head home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
I was snorkling on a reef off Barbados. I thought I saw something interesting in the rocks & swam closer to see what it was. It turned out to be a 6' Moray Eel & it was not happy to see me. I got out of there so fast that I was actually running through the water.
Same thing happened to my dad and I in Mexico

Old 03-27-2008, 02:54 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
I was freaked out when one of my dogs decided that a moose calf looked like a good playmate; the calf's mother wasn't amused. Neither was I.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I was freaked out when one of my dogs decided that a moose calf looked like a good playmate; the calf's mother wasn't amused. Neither was I.
Now that could've been cute, just think baby moose for a pet

Old 03-27-2008, 03:09 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times
This one time in highschool some friends and I went camping up the Kisaralik river. That evening we had a nice fire going. We were cooking dinner on it and a black bear popped his head out of the trees about 10 feet from us. Of course, the guns were at the tent some 20 feet away. That was the longest 10-15 second stare down I've ever had. Didn't sleep that well that night. This other time up the Kwethluk River we were camping in bear country. I had my black lab with me and a friend and he decides to wander away from camp. Morning came around and I was very tired and forgot I brought Rowdy with us. I went to go take care of business in the trees and my dog came running through the woods and about gave me a heart attack.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:23 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,245,584 times
Xa'at...the same thing happened to me on a beach in Mazatlan...okay I didn't think the homeless guy sleeping on the rocks was a bear...I thought he was maybe a beached thingy....(some sort of marine life). I was hiking the beachline to see how far it would take me and it eventually slopes up to a sort of grassy/rocky area and there was the drunk, passed out dude. I think I was more shocked than anything.

Last summer I was hiking down Klahane Ridge. The weather was rolling in, it was getting misty, cloudy, and cold. There were doe everywhere it seems. I must have passed a good five or six, one with a fawn. Anyway, I am coming on a straightaway and there, smack dab on the trail is a buck...a BIG dang buck too. I was kinda shocked but I figured he would move so I kept walking down the trail. He was approaching me from the opposite side of the trail and he wasn't moving. So we were both walking towards eachother and then I thought "He isn't scared. He isn't moving. Okay..." and I tried to recall all my wildlife knowledge....what to do if you run into a grizzly, a blackie, a shark, okay..no good here. And I'm thinking to myself "Heck. Do deer attack?" and he is coming closer and looking right at me and suddenly I decide to retreat a bit, about 20 paces back. He stood on the path for a long time and then started walking towards me again. During the whole time, he was sort of bucking his head up and down. I backed off a bit more and he started eating some pretty wildflowers. He then stepped off the trail, but not far, in fact only on the very edge of the trail. I decided to brave it and pass him, but he sort of let me know that he was the king...or maybe I happened upon his harem. Who knows? But it did sort of freak me out a bit...more than the beached homeless dude in Mazatlan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska