Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 02:08 AM

2,628 posts, read 6,885,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Satch View Post
I want my munchkin to be able to, by the time she's 5-6 years old, shoot a .22 and build a computer.
Oh, that's brilliant, Satch. Yes, let's all give our small children weapons, because that is certainly the only way to teach them ethics.
"This here's a rifle, hunny buns, and you can go shoot them thar bullies when they bes a pickin on you."
The most important thing you can ever give a child is love and attention, not the means to kill other people. Now please go spread your violence-embracing, intolerant crap elsewhere, and no more pmming me, kapiche?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 02:21 AM

1,331 posts, read 2,998,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
Oh, that's brilliant, Satch. Yes, let's all give our small children weapons, because that is certainly the only way to teach them ethics.
"This here's a rifle, hunny buns, and you can go shoot them thar bullies when they bes a pickin on you."
The most important thing you can ever give a child is love and attention, not the means to kill other people. Now please go spread your violence-embracing, intolerant crap elsewhere, and no more pmming me, kapiche?
Xa'at, for goodness gracious. The fact that you haven't any experience with growing up with firearms(as evidenced by your factually ignorant response) as my entire family did and we're all still alive, indicates that your response is purely knee-jerk.

My brother and I grew up in a household where there was a literal arsenal of firearms in a gun case but we were taught from Day-One that if you went near that case, you would get punished severely. After the first few times of beltings, you learned. After all, it wasn't as if these firearms were loaded, it was the principle.

Your diatribe was rude and unnecessary. Sorry to say it but my upbringing and experience with such things is probably far more in-line with the average Alaskan's than your irrational response. Only on this forum would your response gain any sort of credibility because I would bet that most Alaskans would agree with the need for training in the use of firearms.

"Crankiness personified" is an entirely accurate description of your moniker. However, that sure as hell doesn't make you right.

I daresay that you let your inherent personal views affect your response. However, I thank God every day that I will have the opportunity to bring my daughter up correctly and without the destructive influence of the contemporary "progressive" movement that dominates many areas of the "lower 48." .

Old 03-30-2008, 02:30 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,440,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
Put a sock in it Xa'at! Your attitude begatts verbal violence which could lead to worse.

there is nothing wrong with teaching the young proper respect for safe use of a fire arm. Love and attention is not mutually exclusive of other interests.

We don't rag on your life choices so don't rag on someone elses.

Old 03-30-2008, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticthaw View Post
Put a sock in it Xa'at! Your attitude begatts verbal violence which could lead to worse.

there is nothing wrong with teaching the young proper respect for safe use of a fire arm. Love and attention is not mutually exclusive of other interests.

We don't rag on your life choices so don't rag on someone elses.
Thank you. I was hoping that my rather sedate response(in regards to what I really wanted to say) would not be totally ignored.

What I stated before was true. My family had firearms distributed around the house but proper discipline and respect precludes any incidents.

Old 03-30-2008, 02:45 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,440,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Satch View Post
Thank you. I was hoping that my rather sedate response(in regards to what I really wanted to say) would not be totally ignored.

What I stated before was true. My family had firearms distributed around the house but proper discipline and respect precludes any incidents.
I hadn't seen your response before I wrote mine. I am tired of people attacking someone for a different view, instead of having a discussion in an inteligent way on the merits of the subject. I feel the other poster has been negativly infulenced by someone who causes hate, discontent, and thinks they are getting mana from heaven when someone unsuspecting posts here. The fact that such behavior is tollerated here is starting to give this forum a bad name.

Old 03-30-2008, 02:45 AM

7 posts, read 17,924 times
I don't know...

I was raised with guns all over the place and turned out ok for it, but Xa'at has valid points too. Maybe a 5year old isn't ready for the responisbilty for the power that weilding such weapons demands.

Old 03-30-2008, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticthaw View Post
I hadn't seen your response before I wrote mine. I am tired of people attacking someone for a different view, instead of having a discussion in an inteligent way on the merits of the subject. I feel the other poster has been negativly infulenced by someone who causes hate, discontent, and thinks they are getting mana from heaven when someone unsuspecting posts here. The fact that such behavior is tollerated here is starting to give this forum a bad name.
All I was trying to say is that my daughter will be trained properly and that will eliminate any problems. If you look at causes of death for children, riding a bike across the street is far more dangerous than any "firearms accidents."

All I want to do is move to AK and I'm hoping for some help on the way......

Old 03-30-2008, 02:51 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
"What does it take to call yourself Alaskan." Not how to teach your kid how to shoot.

Old 03-30-2008, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
"What does it take to call yourself Alaskan." Not how to teach your kid how to shoot.
That would happen regardless of our home. It's in our family's blood to learn the proper use of firearms.

Old 03-30-2008, 02:56 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
I see, make a new thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska