Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 03:33 AM

2,628 posts, read 6,885,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticthaw View Post
Put a sock in it Xa'at! Your attitude begatts verbal violence which could lead to worse.
Well, seeing as I just couldn't find a pair of socks to stuff in my mouth, nor would I even if I could because frankly, that's disgusting and I've never been one to stifle my own opinions, I'll write a bit more- part elaboration, part public apology.
Classic, I apologize for verbally abusing your parenting skills. It seems I may have been out of line on that part. That being said, it is getting very tiring, the fact that almost all of your posts have you sneaking a word in edgewise about how we should all feel sorry about you because you have to handle a little liberalism once and a while. When you are called on it, suddenly it's "oh, I'm just looking for help moving to Alaska." Or, more accurately, "I'm just looking to move to Alaska and my biggest fear is missing a football game."
I do still believe that children shouldn't be handed things that could easily kill other people, and I will always believe that, and I will continue to say it when the topic comes up because I do think it bears repeating. This is a public forum, and it's within my rights so long as I stick to the TOS, which apparently doesn't stand for The Original Series. (whoops, stupid star trek joke)
Just a few things before I wander off into the sunset to write more of my never-ending novel.
Classic, I'm Alaskan. Just because my views don't match up with whatever force-fed notion of my state that you picked up from the discovery channel does not make them any less 'Alaskan'. As it turns out, we are not all a bunch of gun-totin' fish wranglin' right winger types, (although some are) and if you continue to believe that you will have a rather nasty surprise when you show up.
I stand firm on my earlier statement: moving anywhere solely a political refugee is really a bad idea.
Last but not least- attribute my attitude and opinions to no one but me. Just because I happen to hold the same views as someone does not, as it turns out, make them any sort of influence on me, no less a bad one. 'Nuff said.

Now, have a wonderful night, everyone. There is a word processor calling my name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 04:27 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,387,379 times
I tend to call someone an Alaskan when he quits calling somewhere else home! (It's helps if he's seen a season or two and plans to stay in Alaska.)

Old 03-30-2008, 04:36 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,387,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead View Post
When we were living in the Anchorage area we knew a gal that had lived there over ten years and had never actually been out of the bowl past Eagle River, if you can believe it.
I believe it. Maybe DannyL is right and she found her comfort zone. There's nothing wrong with that. However, when I lived in the Anchorage area, I had far too many people ask me where Chugiak is. And too many people in Eagle River and Chugiak asked me where Thunderbird Falls is. For crying out loud! Can't people get a basic idea of the area that surrounds them?!

If someone has no interest in his area, it's hard to find anything polite to call him. I certainly wouldn't call him an Alaskan, no matter how long he's lived here.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:23 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,429,236 times
Default Your views

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Satch View Post
All I was trying to say is that my daughter will be trained properly and that will eliminate any problems. If you look at causes of death for children, riding a bike across the street is far more dangerous than any "firearms accidents."

All I want to do is move to AK and I'm hoping for some help on the way......
For one thing, if you are moving to Alaska you need to understand clearly Alaska is a gun State. People own them and some carry them. If you have a problem with that you might not like it up here. Also, you have not even moved here and you are already expressing certain views of what you dislike and don't want. The problem is too many people move up here and then want to make it like the place they left. Maybe you need to do more research and move where they have strict gun laws.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:08 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
I want my munchkin to be able to, by the time she's 5-6 years old, shoot a .22 and build a computer.
Actually, Satch, at that age your child won't have developed the cognitive reasoning skills or the muscle coordination necessary to do either one of those things. Don't push her. Let her be a kid before you expect her to be Annie Oakely. Don't forget about the 6 year old who died in a plane crash quite a few years ago because her parents pushed her to learn how to fly in order to gratify some weird egotistical kink of their own.

Quote:
I hadn't seen your response before I wrote mine. I am tired of people attacking someone for a different view, instead of having a discussion in an inteligent way on the merits of the subject. I feel the other poster has been negativly infulenced by someone who causes hate, discontent, and thinks they are getting mana from heaven when someone unsuspecting posts here. The fact that such behavior is tollerated here is starting to give this forum a bad name.
I think you'll notice that the posters who come here and treat us with respect have that returned in kind. But we've had an influx lately of those who are interested only in what they can take from Alaska, as well as know it alls who have never been here and think they've got it down because they've seen it on television. We're tired of it and getting more so with every post along the lines of "how can I stuff my pockets in the great White North" and "Can't I just live on federal land?"

If they feel attacked on a message board because of the answers they get to such questions...just wait until they get up here, if by any chance they actually do.

Oh, and if by any chance you're referencing me in your little snit, the only response that your statement is worth is--well, I was gonna say to "put a sock in it", but that ain't my style. Apparently it's yours.

Xa'at is more than capable of thinking for herself, by the way. And manna is spelled with two "n"s.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 03-30-2008 at 11:38 AM..

Old 03-30-2008, 10:17 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Satch...

Quote:
I daresay that you let your inherent personal views affect your response. However, I thank God every day that I will have the opportunity to bring my daughter up correctly and without the destructive influence of the contemporary "progressive" movement that dominates many areas of the "lower 48." .
You're thinking of Wasilla and perhaps the entire state as being some kind of neo-con haven. It simply isn't. Wasilla itself is growing so quickly that the influences you're trying to escape may be right behind you. There will always be outside influences. I'm really concerned that that you're going to be another one of those who becomes very disillusioned with Alaska because it didn't measure up to what you thought it would be. Though I do expect a first hand report of what the Mug Shot is really like on the inside.

As far as guns---well, you're moving to Wasilla and not the bush. But since you're obviously going to have firearms in your home, of course your child needs proper education concerning them.

I'm pretty neutral on the subject of guns myself. In SE we don't have much need for them, really. I can shoot and so can the offspring, though I wasn't the one who taught him. Neither one of us feel the need to carry or to have them in our homes though.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 03-30-2008 at 11:47 AM..

Old 03-30-2008, 10:46 AM

391 posts, read 1,029,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
For one thing, if you are moving to Alaska you need to understand clearly Alaska is a gun State...
Pat,

Think you misinterpreted Satch's posts in this thread? Satch is definitely pro-gun and thinking of most "Alaskans" as the same. Xa'at disagrees. Perhaps it is different in the SE, but I find the Interior much like Satch thinks about guns. It isn't "in your face", etc, but it isn't frowned upon...except by Outsiders (and obviously some AKs) looking for the Government to watch after them. And since the state does have a CCW/AK driver's license policy, me thinks Alaska could overall be considered gun "friendly". Hard to argue that one I would think. And no, I am not some neo-con "nut" or someone looking for the same.

Back on topic (although I don't expect it to stay there?), I do not consider myself Alaskan. I don't consider myself any state "an". Move around way too much to honestly think of myself something more striated than an American. That is okay with me.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:53 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,429,236 times
Default Up early..

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarian View Post
Pat,

Think you misinterpreted Satch's posts in this thread? Satch is definitely pro-gun and thinking of most "Alaskans" as the same. Xa'at disagrees. Perhaps it is different in the SE, but I find the Interior much like Satch thinks about guns. It isn't "in your face", etc, but it isn't frowned upon...except by Outsiders (and obviously some AKs) looking for the Government to watch after them. And since the state does have a CCW/AK driver's license policy, me thinks Alaska could overall be considered gun "friendly". Hard to argue that one I would think. And no, I am not some neo-con "nut" or someone looking for the same.

Back on topic (although I don't expect it to stay there?), I do not consider myself Alaskan. I don't consider myself any state "an". Move around way too much to honestly think of myself something more striated than an American. That is okay with me.
You'll have to excuse me, was up way early this morning and not enough coffee lol.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:06 PM

1,331 posts, read 2,998,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
Well, seeing as I just couldn't find a pair of socks to stuff in my mouth, nor would I even if I could because frankly, that's disgusting and I've never been one to stifle my own opinions, I'll write a bit more- part elaboration, part public apology.
Classic, I apologize for verbally abusing your parenting skills. It seems I may have been out of line on that part. That being said, it is getting very tiring, the fact that almost all of your posts have you sneaking a word in edgewise about how we should all feel sorry about you because you have to handle a little liberalism once and a while. When you are called on it, suddenly it's "oh, I'm just looking for help moving to Alaska." Or, more accurately, "I'm just looking to move to Alaska and my biggest fear is missing a football game."
I do still believe that children shouldn't be handed things that could easily kill other people, and I will always believe that, and I will continue to say it when the topic comes up because I do think it bears repeating. This is a public forum, and it's within my rights so long as I stick to the TOS, which apparently doesn't stand for The Original Series. (whoops, stupid star trek joke)
Just a few things before I wander off into the sunset to write more of my never-ending novel.
Classic, I'm Alaskan. Just because my views don't match up with whatever force-fed notion of my state that you picked up from the discovery channel does not make them any less 'Alaskan'. As it turns out, we are not all a bunch of gun-totin' fish wranglin' right winger types, (although some are) and if you continue to believe that you will have a rather nasty surprise when you show up.
I stand firm on my earlier statement: moving anywhere solely a political refugee is really a bad idea.
Last but not least- attribute my attitude and opinions to no one but me. Just because I happen to hold the same views as someone does not, as it turns out, make them any sort of influence on me, no less a bad one. 'Nuff said.

Now, have a wonderful night, everyone. There is a word processor calling my name.
No problem Xa'at. I don't wish to engender any enmity with anyone here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
You'll have to excuse me, was up way early this morning and not enough coffee lol.

For shame!!!

Quote:
ou're thinking of Wasilla and perhaps the entire state as being some kind of neo-con haven. It simply isn't. Wasilla itself is growing so quickly that the influences you're trying to escape may be right behind you. There will always be outside influences. I'm really concerned that that you're going to be another one of those who becomes very disillusioned with Alaska because it didn't measure up to what you thought it would be. Though I do expect a first hand report of what the Mug Shot is really like on the inside.
Anything is better than this incredibly overpriced hell-hole where we live now. You would not believe the housing prices here in Silicon Valley. I really don't have any set preconceived notions of Alaskan living. I'm simply looking forward to very low taxes (in comparison to CA of course), beautiful scenery, outdoor fun (fishing, hunting, etc..), and a more laid-back mindset. I was working a neighborhood in Sunnyvale (where many of the biggest names in computer tech are located) the other day and saw a brand new BMW that some idiot adorned with a bumper sticker that said Impeach Bush. Just how much of a space cadet do you have to be to do something that stupid? I just want to raise my munchkin in a sane environment where I might actually know my neighbors and become a part of the community.

Last edited by Classic Satch; 03-30-2008 at 12:20 PM..

Old 03-30-2008, 12:30 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,885,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Satch View Post
the other day and saw a brand new BMW that some idiot adorned with a bumper sticker that said Impeach Bush. Just how much of a space cadet do you have to be to do something that stupid?
This is exactly what I am talking about.
It seems to me that one of the things you hate about California is encountering opinions different than yours. That will happen to you everywhere, hate to be the one to break the news. People have that bumper sticker here too...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska