U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 01:00 PM

5,356 posts, read 17,833,186 times

Advertisements

If that was me, I don't think I'd try to open a door in the first pics. I'm guessing you'd get the door open and then be trying to slam it shut on the bears head, just about the time he takes your arm off. What I'd do after the last pic is cut left in front of the truck and get in on the driver's door. That way the bear might even help you by slamming into the door, closing it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 01:09 PM

11,838 posts, read 27,319,174 times

Old 04-04-2008, 01:24 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,134,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
That was always a pain for us in Barrow when I worked at the police department. Someone would call in and say there vehicle had been stolen. Doors unlocked, keys in the ignition. We would track down the vehicle usually with someone driving. Report back to the victim who would then say it was okay cause the driver was their cousin, best friend, distant relative or neighbor. They just wanted us to tell who ever was driving it to put gas in it before brining the vehicle back. It was a never ending circle...
That's about it... actually stealing a truck here is pretty rare.

But, I do know of two instances, both the same night! While I was in the back room at the Alascom building out on Freshwater Lake Road, somebody walked in the front door, saw my jacket, and looked into the pockets to find the keys, and then took off with the company truck!

The number of odd things about this starts increasing at that point though. They drive the truck downtown, and run into the back of a parked vehicle, knocking out the head light on mine and the tail light on the other one. The other one just happened to be owned by the GCI rep. But, the guy took off down the road, did a 360 degree spin and snuggled up right against the back of another white Suburban. The difference between these two vehicles was that the other one had red lights on the top and said POLICE on the side.

That probably saved my vehicle from total destruction, because it scared the thief so bad that he got out and ran. That's the way the patrol officer found it. They called me (and were very suprised to learn that no my keys were NOT in the truck). They came out and gave me a lift to where the vehicle was. But we were interrupted by something that got them all very excited, and they handed my keys and all took off. Later I found out why.

It seems that the jerk who took my vehicle had stolen somebody else's car, driven it out Freshwater Lake Road and gotten it stuck in a snow drift. That's why he happened to show up at my door.

The other vehicle was a little red car, owned by a police officer! He had left the keys in it, of course.

They never did figure out who did it. And Alascom never did get the damage repaired, because the insurance adjuster required two estimates and just could not understand why I wouldn't drive it down to Fairbanks to the place on 30th Ave that they recommended...

Life in the fast lane...

Old 04-04-2008, 05:09 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,509,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
That's about it... actually stealing a truck here is pretty rare.
Well, where would they go with it?
It's the same thing in Juneau. You don't hear a lot about stolen cars, bank robberies, etc, because you can't just get on the road and start driving away with it. If you got lucky, you MIGHT be able to sneak by and onto the ferry. But I have no doubt that on the rare occasion that a car is stolen, the first thing the police do is give the license plate number and description to the folks at the ferry terminal.
If you ask me, the whole thing is a little improbable. Is there any chance that your friend has a wicked sense of humor and a copy of Adobe Photoshop, stiffnecked?

Old 04-04-2008, 06:18 PM

7,305 posts, read 13,680,183 times
No, it's not photo shopped or cut and pasted. Unfortunately it's the real deal. They were just lucky it didn't turn into a body recovery.

Old 04-05-2008, 12:01 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,522,599 times
Run Forest, Run!
Wow...those are priceless pics...thanks for posting them!

Bud

Old 09-09-2008, 07:40 PM

1 posts, read 3,674 times
Default Fake!

I'm sorry, but those photos are faked. Look at the right rear paw in the first and second photos. They are malformed blurs. Also, the right front paw or forearm is incomplete in the third photo.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:59 PM

734 posts, read 2,510,502 times
I don't care if it's fake or not...that's f'ing priceless!

Old 09-09-2008, 09:49 PM

15,603 posts, read 37,815,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kringle View Post
I'm sorry, but those photos are faked. Look at the right rear paw in the first and second photos. They are malformed blurs. Also, the right front paw or forearm is incomplete in the third photo.
I think your wrong. The paws are moving thats why they are blurred.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:41 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,134,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kringle View Post
Not faked.

The rear paws in the 1st and 2nd images are not "malformed", but they do show what is clearly "motion blur" due to a relatively slow shutter speed. It's a common thing in images of moving animals.

If you look carefully at the "incomplete" forearm in the third photo you'll realize that it is not incomplete at all. It is fully extended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska