U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 07:00 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,681,843 times

Advertisements

Lol Floyd, I also found an article that said it was in Churchill and one that said it was in Barrow. So 3 different articles, 3 different locations. I just picked the one that sounded the most interesting hahahaha.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 07:47 PM

3,841 posts, read 4,258,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
The cited article is high on imagination, and low of facts.

The pictures were taken in Kaktovik, 300 miles or so east of Barrow, not in Barrow as the article claims.

One interesting bit of information that may be correct though, is the injury to the fellow in the pictures. I never saw that claim anywhere else, but at about that time I did see a picture of someone who'd been slightly mauled by a polar bear. It could be the picture I saw was of that fellow. The description matches the pictures. Unfortunately the picture is no longer available, so I can't try comparing to see if it's the same guy.

However, since no other source that I recall seeing said the bear actually mauled him, I'm a bit skeptical given the rest of the article.
He was untouched according to one of the doctors here.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:00 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,018,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
The cited article is high on imagination, and low of facts.

The pictures were taken in Kaktovik, 300 miles or so east of Barrow, not in Barrow as the article claims.

One interesting bit of information that may be correct though, is the injury to the fellow in the pictures. I never saw that claim anywhere else, but at about that time I did see a picture of someone who'd been slightly mauled by a polar bear. It could be the picture I saw was of that fellow. The description matches the pictures. Unfortunately the picture is no longer available, so I can't try comparing to see if it's the same guy.

However, since no other source that I recall seeing said the bear actually mauled him, I'm a bit skeptical given the rest of the article.
The article states "they are the world's largest land predator, and are the only animals that actively hunt humans."

Really? So, do Polar Bears wait outside (tap tap tap with paw) pubs, grocery stores, motels, gas stations, and other places humans frequently go and slap their heads off when exiting?

Old 10-07-2010, 12:20 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,134,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by think first View Post
Really? So, do Polar Bears wait outside (tap tap tap with paw) pubs, grocery stores, motels, gas stations, and other places humans frequently go and slap their heads off when exiting?
Yes, in fact they do that.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:38 PM

3,841 posts, read 4,258,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by think first View Post
The article states "they are the world's largest land predator, and are the only animals that actively hunt humans."

Bears are ambush hunters so I've been told to look before exiting buildings in case any are around. They have been seen in the hospital parking lot before.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:36 AM

15,603 posts, read 37,818,942 times
They will hide under stair landings in ambush. On Endicott Island nearly all the exits have cages built over them. So when you step outside your stilll inside a cage, and then can exit the cage upon verifying no ambush is waiting.
There have been guys stalked right in Prudhoe while working on well sites. They are awesome. I've had to chase more than one off a drilling pad with a 966 loader. Even in the summer they are elusive. In the fog they can wander around the field popping up here and there, then suddenly disapearing in the fog. They've ambushed many a caribou in Kuparuk in the fog.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:25 AM

1,055 posts, read 1,718,948 times
Yikes, don't like to hear that Rance. My DH works in Kuparek and I have alway referred to him as Tender Chunk! Hmm...maybe I will have to start calling him Old Crusty Dude or something. ;-)

Old 11-18-2014, 07:20 PM

1 posts, read 992 times
Hi "Stiffnecked,"

I like these and would love to include one as an illustration in a cultural history of the polar bear that I am currently researching (for the University of Washington Press). Could you please check with the photographer and see if he/ she is interested? I go to Kaktovik regularly but have never been in a situation like this myself!

I'd really appreciate your help. I can be contacted at: nedludinmoab@yahoo.com

Best,
Michael E. (in Nome)

Old 11-28-2014, 10:17 PM

2 posts, read 1,386 times
Better yet why is the moron not armed?

Old 12-01-2014, 09:05 PM

251 posts, read 663,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertr7819 View Post
Better yet why is the moron not armed?
Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska