U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 10:48 PM

434 posts, read 489,416 times

Advertisements

I'm a city guy and that's what I thought.

I go out in the wilderness anywhere, I'm taking a firearm, period. Probably a shotgun with slugs.

I also wouldn't have let a bear come up on me like that. WTH.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 07:24 AM

16,489 posts, read 23,456,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
They will hide under stair landings in ambush. On Endicott Island nearly all the exits have cages built over them. So when you step outside your stilll inside a cage, and then can exit the cage upon verifying no ambush is waiting.
There have been guys stalked right in Prudhoe while working on well sites. They are awesome. I've had to chase more than one off a drilling pad with a 966 loader. Even in the summer they are elusive. In the fog they can wander around the field popping up here and there, then suddenly disapearing in the fog. They've ambushed many a caribou in Kuparuk in the fog.
We had a neighbor that was a welder and worked out of Prudoe Bay. He and the guys he worked with were told that they should not carry any guns on them. He said there was no way they would travel around with no gun. At one point he had to go work on this very small building in the middle of nowhere and do some welding. It was all wood and one window. He was working and heard something. Right there at the window was a huge polar bear. He grabbed the gun they had hidden in the shack just for these occasions. The bear was on its hind legs with feet and arms spread, chewing and grabbing at the building. He was also on his radio trying to contact the guy who he had dropped him off. The guy came back as quick as he could. When he got there this bear had chewed up this building, scraped it all up, and his friend was rolled up into a ball with the gun just waiting for him to come right in the building. I don't think I would have waited that long to shoot, but it worked out for him. His friend pulled up and fired off some shots in the air and the bear waddled off.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska