Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2014, 09:56 PM

39 posts, read 88,725 times

Advertisements

So I'm in a dilemma. My hubby and I were born and raised in AK. We moved away in 2010 with his job. We have 3 kids. Teenagers. At the time of moving, it seemed like a great opportunity. Cheaper cost of living. Road system. Ready to leave the cold behind. So here we are, 4 years later. My kids and I are homesick for AK. But my husband REFUSES to move back. We miss the family. We miss the snow. We miss the 'small-town' feel. Like I said, we haven't been back for awhile. Is everything still expensive? Has anything changed? Am I being unrealistic? How is the housing market? And the job market? And the schools? Should I move back with a senior in high school? How would that be for adjusting? So many questions. So few answers. What are the pros and cons of AK versus the lower 48? Looking for honest answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 03:03 AM

1,753 posts, read 2,904,275 times
I'd say if you had to force your husband to move back when he really didn't want to, your marriage wont last very long. You know it's cold and dark here long enough that if you don't love it here, you find a way to leave. There's a reason for that. I would at least wait until your kiddo graduates.

Old 12-06-2014, 08:08 AM

173 posts, read 380,698 times
U turns in life aren't always productive....but having said that, I understand and have often witnessed the boomerang effect that Alaska has on people who move to the Lower 48. Good luck with your decision!

Old 12-06-2014, 10:39 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,104,882 times
I don't think much has probably changed since you moved away. Good luck figuring everything out.

Old 12-06-2014, 11:42 AM

863 posts, read 2,078,369 times
Yeah, pretty much the same as 2010, though with ever increasing concerns about oil revenue. Everybody's got to be totally on board in order to make living here a good idea. Maybe think about a compromise? Lots of small cities in the western US that might be a better fit.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:35 PM

879 posts, read 1,731,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2hoop View Post
U turns in life aren't always productive....but having said that, I understand and have often witnessed the boomerang effect that Alaska has on people who move to the Lower 48. Good luck with your decision!
I don't know, my life has been nothing but a series of U-turns, some very productive. I've gone back to a couple old jobs, gotten back with old flames, moved back and forth between a few of the same cities multiple times. I mean, I've moved to two particular cities 3 times each. I've come to the conclusion that I have a hard time settling down.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:58 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,306,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicBear View Post
I don't know, my life has been nothing but a series of U-turns, some very productive. I've gone back to a couple old jobs, gotten back with old flames, moved back and forth between a few of the same cities multiple times. I mean, I've moved to two particular cities 3 times each. I've come to the conclusion that I have a hard time settling down.
I am right there with you nomadic bear. About to make my third move back to Alaska in two and half years. I like to call my stints in places "workcations" instead of "moving." Family gives us a hard time moving around a lot because we are slightly nomadic. Looking to stay for good this time though as I have become very disinterested in living in places other than AK. Each time we left we have had a harder time trying to adjust to a normal "lower 48 lifestyle" and begin missing Ak.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:57 AM

39 posts, read 88,725 times
We've also moved around quite a bit with my husband's job. Moved out of Ak for a year, moved back. Stayed in Ak for 2 years, then moved to Henderson, NV for 2 years. After that, we BOUGHT (and sold) a house in Southern California. We only lived there for a year. After being sick of living in the same hot weather, surrounded by fake people, running the rat race, we accepted a position in Washington state. Thought it would be more like 'home' for the kids. Wrong. We are missing Ak more than ever. We feel like outsiders around here. Hard to adjust. Now my kids are older but all they speak of is ALASKA! Now I'm kinda thinking, maybe I should move home and let my kids graduate from high school up there. But is it the right thing to do? If it were JUST ME, I wouldn't move back. I love being on the road system and I the COL is manageable down here.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:07 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
It doesn't sound as if you value your marriage much. That's probably the real issue here.

Old 12-10-2014, 08:40 PM

406 posts, read 756,514 times
If you don't want to live here........................... DON'T !!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska