Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 10:31 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconsinVegasHeights View Post
I lived in Anchorage from 6-2010 until 04-2011. I found it to be an absolutely vile place. Most of the people are extremely rude and nasty. The sustained extreme cold and darkness does wear you down after time.

Las Vegas has better scenery and many days without a single cloud in the sky. High of 67 degrees today.

I had two family members die while I was there and I couldn't fly back down due to the prohibitive cost.
If you didn't notice the beauty of the landscape around Anchorage, the mountains, over by Turnagain Arms, etc.? Did you ever stop to look at the belugas at Belugas Point? If you only noticed the way people behave, it means that your interest revolves around people, not scenery. Also, I can understand that having some bad experiences with people can sour your views about any place. Now, if you say that Nevada has some beautiful scenery I would agree with you, but Las Vegas is just another city full of people. You have to get out of the city to experience the beauty of the landscape.

That said, I don't like Anchorage anymore because it not longer feels like Alaska. Too many people.

Last edited by RayinAK; 01-28-2019 at 11:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 11:28 AM

1,931 posts, read 2,169,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieKay56 View Post
My daughter moved to Alasaka almost 2 years ago. They are in Eagle River. So far they love it. I do send a lot of gifts up there via Amazon. Some things won't ship because they are too big but overall we are happy that the grandkids still get their birthday and Christmas presents.
Some shipping advise. Add 10 of the same product into your cart. Use different vendors. Sometimes one vendor want ship but three others will.

I’ve ordered tires. A bed mattress. Bookshelves. And other large items. It’s nust a matter of finding the vendor that ships.

Old 01-28-2019, 01:10 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,302,629 times
The negatives of the dark cold winters are actually positives because it keeps most of the people away. If winters were shorter, warmer and lighter more people would want to live here.

Old 02-01-2019, 05:18 AM

863 posts, read 2,077,335 times
Quote:
Las Vegas has better scenery
lol

Old 02-01-2019, 01:07 PM

23,269 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
I lived in Anchorage from 6-2010 until 04-2011. I found it to be an absolutely vile place. Most of the people are extremely rude and nasty. The sustained extreme cold and darkness does wear you down after time.

Las Vegas has better scenery and many days without a single cloud in the sky. High of 67 degrees today.

I had two family members die while I was there and I couldn't fly back down due to the prohibitive cost.
Funny, I've been in LV and could say exactly the same things about it. Just substitute the extreme heat for cold and relentless sun for darkness. As for weather, it was the same day after day for weeks at a time. Drove me nuts. I found the scenery around LV boring, depressing, almost dead.

Takes all sorts.

Old 02-01-2019, 01:13 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Funny, I've been in LV and could say exactly the same things about it. Just substitute the extreme heat for cold and relentless sun for darkness. As for weather, it was the same day after day for weeks at a time. Drove me nuts. I found the scenery around LV boring, depressing, almost dead.

Takes all sorts.
Did you go out to the Mojave Desert after a spring rain?

Old 02-01-2019, 01:25 PM

23,269 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Did you go out to the Mojave Desert after a spring rain?
Not lucky enough to be there after a rain, but I have visited some beautiful remote places in the Mojave. Guess I don't consider LV "true" desert in the same way Anchorage isn't "true" AK.

Old 02-01-2019, 08:14 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,879,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Amazon Prime is worthless.
Prime 2-day shipping understandably isn't likely to much of Alaska. That said, Amazon has timely delivered to me in Sand Point, St. Paul, Chignik Bay, and Naknek.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:22 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,985,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
Prime 2-day shipping understandably isn't likely to much of Alaska. That said, Amazon has timely delivered to me in Sand Point, St. Paul, Chignik Bay, and Naknek.
I've gotten timely delivery myself in Palmer, but I just have to expect pretty much anything I want is going to be 7-10 days.

Not necessarily a bad thing, but the biggest plus of Amazon Prime is 1 or 2 day shipping options.

Old 03-07-2019, 12:21 AM

1,425 posts, read 1,386,221 times
Alaska is very hard to get out.

If one knows for absolute sure that he wants to move there and die there, it's a place for him. Getting out before retirement is very difficult, if you aren't a scientist. Long cold dark winters, lack of architecture, very specific attitudes, inconvenient and costly air travel, bad medicine, high unemployment, bad education, high crime rate, no quality entertainment - it's all about Alaska. Also bad food (except for Anchorage), and yes, even Amazon don't deliver everything there. GCI is crap (they have no idea about existence of other countries besides Canada and maybe Mexico, so their phones are useless for international travel), people drive like they are stoned, and, opening your Sunday issue of a local newspaper you might find a 3X photo of dog's hair infested with lice (or whatever it is) - bon appetite!
The scenery - when one has time to look at it - is, in many areas, beautiful, but cold and lifeless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska