Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 10:43 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,954,115 times

Advertisements

Tourists often embarrass themselves by saying the duh-mest things, or what not to say when visiting Alaska
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 11:14 AM

60 posts, read 158,216 times
Those are priceless! Makes me think of our move back in '06: People actually asked us if we were going to be living in an igloo (my reply: "Yep, and we'll be traveling by dogsled"); would we have to see by candlelight and pee outside; and some asked if we'd need passports and visas since we were moving outside of the U.S.

Once we got to Anchorage, a family member called the cellphone and was shocked to find we were sitting in a Pizza Hut and had just gotten out of the Wal-Mart! "You mean there's a Wal-Mart in Alaska????" Yep, we got us a real good dog team. They know how to navigate the traffic real good. LOL!

Old 04-15-2008, 11:50 AM

310 posts, read 777,789 times
OK, so I have to admit this one... Just remember I'm an outsider and it was our first trip.
The first trip to AK we went fishing out of Kodiak. We landed the night before and went to the hotel. I was really dissapionted to see a McDonalds right next to the hotel. Everything you see an the tube about AK shows mountains, snow, glaciers, fishing, etc and there's a friggin' McDonalds.
So now when people find out that we are moving to Homer, I just tell them what ever you think it's like, it's not like that.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:02 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,105,106 times
Wyoming can suffer from the same moronic audacity to ask some fairly stupid questions. I used to work for a stable and exercised horses, often riding alongside the highway...I have had people stop, take a photo, and ask if I am on my way to work...because they'd heard that we still rode horses instead of driving an automobile to work. Or...wasn't I afraid of the Indians attacking? Ehm...<sigh>....you get the picture.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:07 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
I count myself fortunate. The vast majority of my interactions with tourists has been indirect. I notice the increased traffic on the roads, the congested fishing holes, the longer lines, etc., but I haven't been asked any inane questions.

The only time I ever have a conversation with tourists is while I am fishing, and the conversation usually revolves around them and where they are from. Since I usually fish areas not commonly visited by tourists, I must be encountering the smarter more experienced tourist because they have never asked me a stupid question about Alaska that I can recall.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:28 PM

143 posts, read 564,082 times
I got one for you... I'll be moving to Alaska in the next few months and everyone one where I work knows about it and has commented - living in Arkansas I've gotten some interesting ones.

But this takes the cake - I mentioned I'd be driving through Canada and she says, "Canada? But that's way over in the East. And isn't Alaska next to Hawaii?" First I explained that Canada stretches across the top of the states, then with a bit of hesitation, I asked her why she thought Alaska and Hawaii were next to each other. Her response, "Well when I see them on maps they're right next to each other."

Yeah. Because they usually stick Alaska and Hawaii in that little box so they fit on the map she assumed they were right next to each other. The fact that they are opposites when it comes to weather was just a fluke to her. She's in her late thirties, a senior manager with two teenage kids...

How funny and how sad!

Old 04-15-2008, 06:15 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,564,932 times
When people hear that I'm from Wisconsin, they assume we all walk around w/cheeseheads on & lots of times they have no idea where Wisconsin is. They also assume everyone is fat & alcoholic....that one is actually kinda true

Old 04-15-2008, 09:15 PM

94 posts, read 267,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahB82 View Post
I got one for you... I'll be moving to Alaska in the next few months and everyone one where I work knows about it and has commented - living in Arkansas I've gotten some interesting ones.

But this takes the cake - I mentioned I'd be driving through Canada and she says, "Canada? But that's way over in the East. And isn't Alaska next to Hawaii?" First I explained that Canada stretches across the top of the states, then with a bit of hesitation, I asked her why she thought Alaska and Hawaii were next to each other. Her response, "Well when I see them on maps they're right next to each other."

Yeah. Because they usually stick Alaska and Hawaii in that little box so they fit on the map she assumed they were right next to each other. The fact that they are opposites when it comes to weather was just a fluke to her. She's in her late thirties, a senior manager with two teenage kids...

How funny and how sad!
Interesting trivia: I read somewhere that Alaska and Hawaii both have an all-time record high temperature of 100 F.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:48 PM

143 posts, read 564,082 times
And, they rival each other for the wettest spot on Earth.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:59 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,954,115 times
I wonder which state produces more pot?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska