Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 01:34 AM

1 posts, read 3,073 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm new. Here's the big picture: need to know opinions, facts, etc.

Here's our situation: we live in central california, now.
we are looking to move to Alaska
it's me (19), my mom, my niece(7), and possibly my nephew(4), and possibly my grandma (79)
we have 4 cats(outside), two small dogs, 2 siberian huskies
we are on a fixed income because of my mom, myself, and my grandma being disabled/retired.
we would have to rent a house, have elementary/junior high school close by, and, obviously, have the safest city/borough to raise the kids.
hopefully a college withing 15 or so miles, as i' d like to stay close.

Now, does anybody have any suggestions on the safest cities, kindest people, best schools, cheaper living/housing?! I've been scouring the net, but I'd like some actual info from people the know what they're talking about. we're from boston and R.I. originally, so we can handle the weather. We'd also prefer a small town with a nice, welcoming community. We were thinking Ketchikan/Kodiak-ish, lol. Thanks for any help you can offer! Oh! And any travel/moving suggestions, too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 01:37 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,033,517 times
I don't know much about Kodiak and Ketchikan, but for affordability it's hard to beat the Kenai/Soldotna area and then the Palmer/Wasilla area.

Both have small colleges nearby, branches of the University of Alaska. I think they are all about as safe as the other. I would think Ketchikan is likely the safest...but the wettest. You need to like rain to live there.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:29 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,829,023 times
City of Soldotna Online

Kenai Alaska City Government Home Page

Homer Chamber of Commerce

Welcome to the City of Homer Home Page

Old 04-22-2008, 12:14 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,888,143 times
Auke Bay is very nice down here in Juneau. It's a fishing village so it kind of has the same air as Ketchikan, but you're like a five minute drive from the valley, which has all sorts of shopping and grocery stores. The University of Alaska Southeast (I'm a student here, writing this as I'm sitting down for breakfast in the café ) is about a five minute walk from downtown Auke Bay, as is the elementary school. UAS is small, but it's going to be bigger than the branches of UAA that you would have in Soldotna or Palmer.
Auke Bay isn't as haute-toity as some of the places in the valley and downtown come off. As far as income it's a little bit lower class, but the people are all very friendly and it's certainly safe.
I have tons of pictures at my flickr account Flickr: Photos & Video from Xa'at (http://www.flickr.com/photos/laquatique - broken link)
And here's one of the UAS campus this January...

Old 04-22-2008, 12:40 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,245,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
Auke Bay is very nice down here in Juneau. It's a fishing village so it kind of has the same air as Ketchikan, but you're like a five minute drive from the valley, which has all sorts of shopping and grocery stores. The University of Alaska Southeast (I'm a student here, writing this as I'm sitting down for breakfast in the café ) is about a five minute walk from downtown Auke Bay, as is the elementary school. UAS is small, but it's going to be bigger than the branches of UAA that you would have in Soldotna or Palmer.
Auke Bay isn't as haute-toity as some of the places in the valley and downtown come off. As far as income it's a little bit lower class, but the people are all very friendly and it's certainly safe.
I have tons of pictures at my flickr account Flickr: Photos & Video from Xa'at (http://www.flickr.com/photos/laquatique - broken link)
And here's one of the UAS campus this January...
X,

Are you eating bacon waffles again? Just kidding

Old 04-22-2008, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
X,

Are you eating bacon waffles again? Just kidding
Oh, you got me! I just can't resist their light crispy outside and warm fluffy meaty inside...

Old 04-22-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Oh, you got me! I just can't resist their light crispy outside and warm fluffy meaty inside...
Yeah....m'kay. Doesn't sound good. But a nice bagel from Silverbow sounds pretty nifty. So does something from Rainbow foods!

Old 04-22-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Yeah....m'kay. Doesn't sound good. But a nice bagel from Silverbow sounds pretty nifty. So does something from Rainbow foods!
I haven't been to silverbow in a few weeks. I'm thinking about getting a place downtown this summer, so hopefully I'll be able to go more. I think I'm going to get a job at the fudge co... I'll probably gain so much weight!!

Old 04-22-2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:
I haven't been to silverbow in a few weeks. I'm thinking about getting a place downtown this summer, so hopefully I'll be able to go more. I think I'm going to get a job at the fudge co... I'll probably gain so much weight!!
There are neat places to rent downtown if you want to share. You let me know where you're working so I can play like a touron and ask you a bunch of stupid questions. You'll be looking at every touron all season thinking "Is THAT cobolt?" Ha Ha....I'll even buy some new white shoes for the occassion.

Old 04-22-2008, 03:52 PM

Quote:
There are neat places to rent downtown if you want to share. You let me know where you're working so I can play like a touron and ask you a bunch of stupid questions. You'll be looking at every touron all season thinking "Is THAT cobolt?" Ha Ha....I'll even buy some new white shoes for the occassion.
Well, I have apps for the fudge co, Annie Kail's, heritage, once in A blue moose (what used to be galli), hearthside, four seasons marine, and dipac. So far the best offer has come from 4 seasons, unfortunately I'm applying too late to get a job as a naturalist on the boat, which is what I wanted. The only job they have available dock rep. Not sure I want to do the whole, "hi, welcome to Juneau, watch your step" thing day in and day out.
There's still quite a few opportunities, but I refuse to work for non-locally owned businesses. Of course this generally means the pay is a little lower, but it's a question of ethics, you know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska