Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 03:13 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,803,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
you have absolutely NO sense of state. You folks are like the clans of Scotland from hundreds of years ago. Utterly unbelievable.
you have no idea how spot-on you are with that statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 03:45 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
What I've heard is it's sport hunters from cities such as Anchorage and Fairbanks, not subsistence hunters (though some people who aren't really subsistence hunters have managed to fraudulently get subsistence hunting rights). I've read quite a bit on another forum I'm a member of, the AK Outdoors Forum, most of the members are sport hunters/fishers, relatively few subsistence hunters. Essentially, a lot of them are convinced they have a "right" to hunt for a trophy moose or whatever, and they could care less if their activities hurt those who rely on the animals for subsistence, they want to eliminate the subsistence hunting regs. So, these people continue to move further and further out from the cities as they hunt out most of the larger (trophy size) animals in areas closer to them. You should see how some of them attack anyone who defends subistence hunting or fishing...
I only hunt and fish for subsistance, as does everyone I associate with in Alaska. We don't hunt or fish for sport, only for food. We are not interested in obtaining a trophy sized catch, although we wouldn't refuse it if we did manage to get something that large. When hunting game we are looking for 1) something we can legally shoot, and 2) what appears to be a healthy animal. When fishing we are looking for 1) something we can legally catch, and 2) what appears to be a healthy fish.

Defending subsistence hunting/fishing is easy: It puts food on the table. Which is more than can be said about sport hunting/fishing. I'm just glad our Fish & Game laws require that all meat from any game animal is salvaged and not wasted. There is no excuse for wasting perfectly good food.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:18 PM

959 posts, read 2,360,851 times
Darn straight Glitch--fork'n horns are tastier, anyway!

Old 05-05-2008, 05:28 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times
Thumbs up Livin' Large

Who is up for some Boo-Burgers?

Name:  smgrill.gif
Views: 191
Size:  28.0 KB

Old 05-05-2008, 09:17 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,951,581 times
What are Boo-Burgers?

Old 05-05-2008, 09:30 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,803,190 times
well, just to stay up with current events, I just want to post that Palin has decided that this is not an emergency, so no federal help is needed. None.
And the mayor of juneau has shown his true self be saying he "will not appeal her decision".
Let the partying in the villages begin.......and to think, some us here have been fighting for you......

Old 05-05-2008, 10:48 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,887,377 times
Thumbs down This isn't Botelho's fault...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
well, just to stay up with current events, I just want to post that Palin has decided that this is not an emergency, so no federal help is needed. None.
And the mayor of juneau has shown his true self be saying he "will not appeal her decision".
Let the partying in the villages begin.......and to think, some us here have been fighting for you......
If Botelho doesn't think an appeal would do any good, what would the point of appealing be? A waste of time. Bruce has done so much awesome stuff for this city and he's such a great guy- don't pin this on him.
Palin doesn't do anything, period, and we knew that. We're going to have to find ways to deal with this that don't involve asking the government for money. I would like to see a class action lawsuit against AEL&P. They should have insured the lines that they knew where in a heavy avalanche area. We certainly shouldn't have to cover the repair fees.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:43 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,487,518 times
Default close to the bone

It sounds like the local utility has been running their operation a little too close to the bone. Five gets you ten they're "self insured" for virtually all their risk, despite their obviously inadequate reserves. It certainly doesn't help things that the towers got wiped out right when diesel costs are holding at historical highs, but you'd think that they'd have had SOME financial resources tucked aside for unanticipated emergencies. Of course, now that they're scraping pennies out from under the breakroom couch cushions to pay for all the fuel they're burning it's a foregone conslusion that the ratepayers will be footing the bill.

At least this serves as a wakeup call for the rest of the state as to how delicate the power web is in the US, and in Alaska in particular.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:54 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,951,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
I would like to see a class action lawsuit against AEL&P.
What good would that do? Then the rate payers would be paying for repairing the towers & the lawsuit. The only people that would come out ahead would be the lawyers.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:10 AM

5,475 posts, read 12,243,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
Friggin incredible. Queen Palin has spoken. Now, off with your heads, everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska