Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 03:55 PM

959 posts, read 2,360,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Maybe the residents of Juneau should get off the grid...and the electric company can sit there and wonder what to do with all that power. Candles, woodstoves, and solar panels.
That really ain't a bad idea at all; some people here are considering solar panels when building now as a matter of course. The thing now is that if you have to drive your truck out anywhere to cut wood, with gas the way it is...it could almost be the same deal as paying high heating bills in the end soon!!

Our hydro plant here has recently had issues; had to supplement it with diesel, which drives up price. I have been trying to figure out why this has been happening; did they make some errors when building the plant or what? This type of power was supposed to be efficient and "green..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 04:27 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,243,697 times
Yeah....how do solar panels work in SE AK? Even so, the amout of solar power required to run a city is pretty high. I was watching a tv special that featured alternative power solultions. There was some place in the CA desert, I think, that was just covered in solar panels: huge and numerous....like a field of them, and even so, they did not harness enough power for 100K houses and you can't store the energy. I doubt the tourism industry is going to burn firewood. I mean...how does that work? They need their neon signs etc.

This energy company is taking JNU for a ride and Palin is taking JNU for a ride as well. As I've said before, it may not be a "disaster." People may have power, but I'll bet you dollars to donuts that if this happened in ANC, it would be handled in a much different manner.

And...since I'm on a friggin roll here, be prepared for more of the Palin Evasive Manuevers should the capital get moved. The only reason JNU is on her radar is because she must make the obligatory visit every so often. If you can't get her to support the community now, good luck when all the fat cats are hanging out in Wasilla or Willow or wherever the hell it is.

Old 05-06-2008, 04:34 PM

True that...probably solar wouldn't work that well here; however, I do know a couple here that do have roof solar panels and have said it has made a farily substantial difference in traditional energy consumption in their home. However, the up-front cost would be prohibitive for a lot of people. Now THAT'S where the feds should step in; big incentives for people who invest/build with solar/wind harnessing technologies.

Old 05-06-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskagrl View Post
True that...probably solar wouldn't work that well here; however, I do know a couple here that do have roof solar panels and have said it has made a farily substantial difference in traditional energy consumption in their home. However, the up-front cost would be prohibitive for a lot of people. Now THAT'S where the feds should step in; big incentives for people who invest/build with solar/wind harnessing technologies.
Right....things like solar and wind power would be supplemental rather than primary. I tend to think the Feds don't step in because it behooves them for the energy sources to remain (coal/oil/etc). But then again, I don't trust government. Maybe that comes from a history of working for them and some knowledge I'd rather not have. It could just be my own suspicion and conspiracy theories!

Old 05-06-2008, 05:01 PM

Cobolt....I'll agree with you on that one, as I'm in the same situation. And sometimes what you find out is just as creepy, even if the gov't isn't directly involved.

Here's a cute nugget I found out the other day while researching alternative energy. I delved into a technology that uses waste paper/waste wood scraps as energy. A farming machine compresses the material into cubes, it is dried for x amount of time, and then it can burn just like coal but with far less emissions. This technology was being USED, like every day, man--in a factory and power plant in South Carolina in the early 1980's. When the project operator tried to drum up interest int he cubed paper technology, he got it...but also from the Mob. According to him (spoke with him personally), the Mob controlled most of waste disposal on E coast (and elsewhere) and didn't want to see their $$ for paper disposal disappear; and NO ONE was willing to take them on, for obvious reasons!

There is a lot to know out there, and less and less of it looks good as you get older. Somehow, politics factors into almost everything.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:48 PM

Yep....I totally agree. I posted on another forum talking about alternative energy that I believe the technology is already out there but the patent is either being held hostage by big oil, govt (yes, I think they're in bed together) or some sort of drug deal is going on to bleed the dependence on fossil fuels until people just arent willing to pay for it anymore....and right now...they are. Think about this: gasoline at the pump costs twice what it did a year ago this time and people are still giving up the greenback. When people start to conserve and then increase the desire and demand for alternative fuels and power sources, the powers that be will find a way to make those things mainstream and increasingly expensive over a period of time....Now....where is my stockpile of ammo and cheetos?

Old 05-06-2008, 05:56 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,651,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
This energy company is taking JNU for a ride and Palin is taking JNU for a ride as well. As I've said before, it may not be a "disaster." People may have power, but I'll bet you dollars to donuts that if this happened in ANC, it would be handled in a much different manner.

And...since I'm on a friggin roll here, be prepared for more of the Palin Evasive Manuevers should the capital get moved. The only reason JNU is on her radar is because she must make the obligatory visit every so often. If you can't get her to support the community now, good luck when all the fat cats are hanging out in Wasilla or Willow or wherever the hell it is.
Bull's eye. You hit that one dead on.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:22 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,411,206 times
I noticed in my post that I missed a major word, what I meant to say was that once Palin makes up her mind there is NO logical thinking for reconsideration.

In defense of her we the people have voted numerous times to move the capital to Willow and the powers at be shot it down every time. I think the capital should be moved to an area that the majority of the population can visit and keep an eye on the stuff that goes on down there, too bad that Juneau will die off so they say but they can go back to fishing and mining.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:28 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,651,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tressa View Post
In defense of her we the people have voted numerous times to move the capital to Willow and the powers at be shot it down every time.
The VOTERS have shot it down several times. The move won in only one vote, ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tressa View Post
I think the capital should be moved to an area that the majority of the population can visit and keep an eye on the stuff that goes on down there, too bad that Juneau will die off so they say but they can go back to fishing and mining.
Too bad only the Anchorage area voters would have that sort of access, and half the population of Alaska would become second class citizens in terms of government.

That is indeed exactly what would happen, and it is indeed exactly why voters have repeatedly voted it down.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:36 PM

Yeah....too bad Juneau will die off but they can go back to fishing and mining, which is regulated up the wazoo....right. That's the attitude I'm talking about. "Too bad Juneau. More for us, less for you. Now go away, you're bothering me."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska