Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2021, 03:56 PM

1,809 posts, read 897,070 times

Advertisements

Go the through the steps on the provided link. I got my answer and it didn’t include a quarantine.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...s/wizard-start
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2021, 12:27 PM

1,169 posts, read 749,809 times
I don't know about anyone driving but I know of several people who entered by boat in the last week or two and were allowed to proceed on direct route with only necessary stops for fuel, food etc without quarantine.

Old 04-15-2021, 02:44 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,473,825 times
And understand that Canada border employees have the last say. If they do not like you or anything about your paperwork, you can be turned away and have no recourse. Kind of like TSA, no matter what the internet says, the employees at the gate have the final say.

Old 04-16-2021, 10:40 PM

8 posts, read 9,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
Go the through the steps on the provided link. I got my answer and it didn’t include a quarantine.

That's what I found also (see post 5).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
And understand that Canada border employees have the last say. If they do not like you or anything about your paperwork, you can be turned away and have no recourse. Kind of like TSA, no matter what the internet says, the employees at the gate have the final say.
This has been the case for a long time now but the additional 14 day quarantine requirement per the first link was all new (at the time I created this thread).

Update:
https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...nsit-alaska-us
So now the 14 day quarantine part has been removed from Canada's web page for Driving to or from Alaska through Canada, however there are still instructions regarding Arrival testing at the border (which appears to be a part of the Driving to or from Alaska through Canada instructions) with two test, the 2nd test performed on the 10th day of one's quarantine. The webpage last update still reads 2021-03-31.

Driving to or from Alaska through Canada
You can’t transit through Canada by land for an optional reason, such as a vacation or leisure. When seeking entry to Canada, you will be subject to strict entry conditions and public health requirements. You will need to have proof that your entry into Canada is not optional, such as:
proof of residence or employment in Alaska if going north
proof of residence or employment in the lower 48 states if going south
You must provide proof of a valid test result to enter Canada.

Arrival testing at the border
When entering Canada at a land border crossing, you will be provided with two COVID-19 Specimen Collection Kits: one to use on the day you arrive in Canada and another to use on day 10 of your 14-day quarantine.
The kits contain instructions on how to collect a nasal swab and send the sample for testing.

I still suspect that the link is not accurate and that the old rules allowing Alaska/Lower48 US land travelers do not need to quarantine while following the max 5 day driving allowance. The reason I believe this is that if one does go through the 14 day quarantine, then there would no longer be a need for a time limit on travel as one would then be effectively in the same category (free of Covid via 14 day quarantine) as one returning and living in Canada. One would (as the Canadians do) have to follow current lock down requirements and trans-territorial travel restrictions.

So, has any US citizens driven up to Alaska or down from Alaska since March 31st 2021? If so, were you required to quarantine for 14 days as the updated (March 31,2021) Canadian web page instructs?

Thanks

Old 04-16-2021, 11:02 PM

894 posts, read 2,201,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredwanderer View Post
Thanks for that link. The Alaska ferry would be too much time spent in the car for our buddy without being with him and we don't want to put him through that. It was three days to Juneau from Bellingham, then another 1.5 days to Whittier. 2 adults, one sedan, no cabin = $3300 (dog option didn't show). A direct ferry was $4K with no room, 4.5 days total. Juneau may still have Covid test/quarantine rules, though perhaps they may change for those who are fully immunized.

Another option would be barge the car up ($2100 approx) and the three of us fly to Anchorage. With Current Covid restrictions, flying with a pet is much more difficult (unless small carry on). A pet shipping company would need to be hired and the dog put on a cargo plane which could mean $2K or so.

So the only real option is to drive up and that leads back to the latest information from Canada and that is for those who drive to/from Alaska/Lower must quarantine for 14 days. There was a 'test' one could click on to determine if one 'may' be allowed entry to drive to/from Alaska, and in that information nothing was mentioned about a 14 day quarantine;

So I'm wondering if there really is a new rule about the 14 day quarantine or it was mistakenly inserted to describe those who intend to travel to and stay in Canada rather than for those who intend to drive straight through to Alaska. This is why I started this thread to find out if any has driven up from the lower 48 since March 30 and if they were required to quarantine for 14 days as the Canada web page link states.
Alaska Airlines is $100/pet, plus your pet needs a health certificate. We just did this with 2 cats and 1 dog on March 2nd.

Old 04-17-2021, 10:27 AM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurNextAdventure View Post
Alaska Airlines is $100/pet, plus your pet needs a health certificate. We just did this with 2 cats and 1 dog on March 2nd.
This isn't new and has nothing to do with Covid-19. Dogs/cats and some birds have always needed health certificates if they transit over the state line via airline, ferry, or the road. CA wants them too. Pet airline fares differ, starting off at around $100 but can be more depending on the size of the kennel.

Old 04-18-2021, 11:02 AM

6,538 posts, read 7,118,145 times
Quote:
This is the case everyday no matter what, it’ will never change.

Old 04-18-2021, 12:05 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Exactly the same as the American border guards. They have the final say. It's always been that way on both sides of the Can-Am border.

Old 04-18-2021, 09:28 PM

894 posts, read 2,201,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
This isn't new and has nothing to do with Covid-19. Dogs/cats and some birds have always needed health certificates if they transit over the state line via airline, ferry, or the road. CA wants them too. Pet airline fares differ, starting off at around $100 but can be more depending on the size of the kennel.
No ****. I was referring to his comment on the cost of transporting his pets.

Old 04-20-2021, 12:41 AM

8 posts, read 9,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurNextAdventure View Post

Thanks

Just looked at Alaskan airlines web page and it appears that the same pet transport policies are in place as pre-Covid, which is great news (but need to confirm by calling).

When booking flights earlier, a pet shipping company quoted me around $2K plus to transport our dog via a cargo flight to Anchorage from Seattle (plus $3K+/- to get to Seattle from an international flight arrival) and that we could not fly on the same plane. This is why I wrote above that flying would not be an option for us ($2200 for the car barge to Anchorage + $3K+/- for us and our dog) so driving was the logical choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska