Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 03:28 PM

959 posts, read 2,353,421 times

Advertisements

Tongass TC is pretty good but some of their stuff is over priced...like all that synthetic wear from all the Patagonia/Columbia companies; I've found deals on real Columbia fleeces, Coolmax clothing and more, online through some non-commercialized vendors. Hopefully I'm not buying stolen goods! But I don't think so 'cause they are all labeled, shrink-wrapped, with original Columbia labels, etc.

Tongass TC is the place rural Southeastern Alaskans get a variety of gear, for sho'. However, I do go to Wal-mart too, for cheap stuff I need that I'm not overly worried about quality. And Safeway is AWESOME!!

I make like 2-3 trips a year to Ketch to shop at the abovementioned places, stay at the Narrows Inn, and gorge myself on Annabelle's chowder, Ocenaview takeout *mmmm* and beer, wine, etc!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 03:44 PM

16 posts, read 54,939 times
excellent info, thanks!

we're staying at the narrows until we can get an apartment secured, hopefully by june 1 it'll be available. annabelle's chowder is awesome! the salmon chowder wasn't all that great, imo, but everything else was amazing. i'll have to check out oceanside, not even sure where it's at. and i'm falling fast for alaskan brews!

Old 05-13-2008, 06:27 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,493,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramona9980 View Post
excellent info, thanks!

we're staying at the narrows until we can get an apartment secured, hopefully by june 1 it'll be available. annabelle's chowder is awesome! the salmon chowder wasn't all that great, imo, but everything else was amazing. i'll have to check out oceanside, not even sure where it's at. and i'm falling fast for alaskan brews!
Be aware you can get alaskan brews cheaper down south. At least that's the complaint in Juneau where it's made. For outdoor gear, ordering online is popular. The hard part is finding companies that don't charge a small fortune to ship to Alaska. One company we like is Campmor with reasonable prices and shipping.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:59 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,517,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Satch View Post
I'm not "attacking" you. I'm simply refuting your viewpoints. I have no problem with huge corporations and apparently you equate my derision towards "global warming" nonsense as "destroying the environment." There's no need to feel sorry for me. I know what I'm talking about (opening myself up for a nice jab here ) and am 100% confident in the veracity of my opinions. However, you are obviously just as entitled to yours.
Alright alright alright, let's not fight-we agree to disagree, truce?

Old 05-13-2008, 10:01 PM

1,331 posts, read 2,985,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Alright alright alright, let's not fight-we agree to disagree, truce?
Agreed.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:07 PM

26,506 posts, read 36,370,326 times
One of the reasons I don't shop at Wal*Mart is because I don't have to. Another reason is because my integrity ain't for sale. Another reason is because I find the whole Wal*Mart environment to be a shrill and unpleasant one. The last one I went into was in Anchorage and there was some seedy man hanging around the ladies underwear department.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:18 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,856,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
One of the reasons I don't shop at Wal*Mart is because I don't have to. Another reason is because my integrity ain't for sale. Another reason is because I find the whole Wal*Mart environment to be a shrill and unpleasant one. The last one I went into was in Anchorage and there was some seedy man hanging around the ladies underwear department.
Next time you have about half an hour to spare, Metla, you have to watch the South Park episode about Wall-Mart. It is hilarious, but disturbingly true.
There's a link to the full episode here: Something Wall-Mart This Way Comes - Episode Guide - South Park Studios
Of course, a note to anyone else who wants to watch it: there is some mature content. It is South Park, after all! But it's hilarious if you can get past that.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:26 PM

26,506 posts, read 36,370,326 times
Thanks, Xa'at--I haven't seen that episode but have heard great things. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Now seriously...what does Wal*Mart even have that people need so badly? Boxed processed food, genetically engineered produce, hideous clothing and other assorted cheap crap.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:20 PM

16 posts, read 54,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Thanks, Xa'at--I haven't seen that episode but have heard great things. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Now seriously...what does Wal*Mart even have that people need so badly? Boxed processed food, genetically engineered produce, hideous clothing and other assorted cheap crap.
i had to run up there for some random stuff i need until we can get into our northland svs. container. i bought some coffee & filters (hotel coffee just doesn't do it), q-tips, and mouthwash. i'll probably buy TP and kleenex there as well...that just about covers it.
the ketchikan walmart is really sketchy...old & dingy.

on another note...who do people use for internet services around here? and i refuse to bank with wells fargo, so are there any opinions on good local banks around here? also, are there any hidden gems as far as local hangouts (bars/foods)?

Old 05-14-2008, 05:23 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,856,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramona9980 View Post
i had to run up there for some random stuff i need until we can get into our northland svs. container. i bought some coffee & filters (hotel coffee just doesn't do it), q-tips, and mouthwash. i'll probably buy TP and kleenex there as well...that just about covers it.
the ketchikan walmart is really sketchy...old & dingy.

on another note...who do people use for internet services around here? and i refuse to bank with wells fargo, so are there any opinions on good local banks around here? also, are there any hidden gems as far as local hangouts (bars/foods)?
GCI is what pretty much everyone uses as their ISP around here. There's also ACS, and I believe although I could be wrong, that the public utilities in Ketchikan (KPU) provides internet service.
As far as banks, go Alaska Pacific. I've never had bad customer service from them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska