Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2021, 07:06 PM

894 posts, read 2,189,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
I've had both, have always had RWD - one of which was a 4Runner - and have a strong preference for Blizzaks. There was a period of time when I had Blizzaks on my 4Runner and studs on my Silverado and I didn't like going from one to the other because they handled so differently.
Perfect person to talk to. My pickup is a Silverado. I have a set of General Artic LT non studded snow tires for it.

Reading different forum results, it seems the blizzaks are the way to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2021, 08:55 PM

10,407 posts, read 7,502,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurNextAdventure View Post
...Reading different forum results, it seems the blizzaks are the way to go.
Dedicated, non studded snow tires that are available in the large size your 4Runner uses would be my choice. Could be Blizzaks or some other brand. Perhaps Michelin makes some too, I don't know.

Not that I've ever done that myself here in SE. All terrains, all year.

Old 08-15-2021, 09:19 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,063,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurNextAdventure View Post
Perfect person to talk to. My pickup is a Silverado. I have a set of General Artic LT non studded snow tires for it.

Reading different forum results, it seems the blizzaks are the way to go.
I can't remember where you moved to but the types of road conditions makes a difference and there is definitely a factor of personal preference. I live in Fairbanks, I have a long drive to work each day, and I hardly ever drive in the Anchorage area in winter conditions.

The studded tires on my Silverado came with it when I bought it. If I were going to buy studded tires I'd buy Hakkapeliittas.

Old 08-16-2021, 04:49 AM

7,487 posts, read 7,966,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
If you do see a 50/50 mix of clear roads as well as snowy roads, during your "winter" season, I'd suggest Nokian WRG3s....
My last few years in Alaska and about 4 years in Washington I had WRG3s on my Jeep. The nice thing about them is I could leave them on year round. They were considered an all weather tire which placed them between an all season tire and a dedicated winter tire. Since the 4Runner has 4 wheel drive these tires should do fine.

I just put on a set of Nokian Encompass AW01 tires on the Jeep.

Old 08-16-2021, 12:28 PM

889 posts, read 658,881 times
Had Blizzaks and loved them.

Old 08-16-2021, 08:22 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,585,083 times
Quote:
I can't remember where you moved to but the types of road conditions makes a difference and there is definitely a factor of personal preference. I live in Fairbanks, I have a long drive to work each day, and I hardly ever drive in the Anchorage area in winter conditions.

The studded tires on my Silverado came with it when I bought it. If I were going to buy studded tires I'd buy Hakkapeliittas.

The OP is in Palmer. We have different conditions than Fairbanks, mainly many more times where the ice/snow is wet. At -40F you could drive around on racing slicks and have good traction. 33F with mixed rain/snow is a whole 'nother ballgame. That's why we run studs and I'm not trying to start a studded versus non-studded argument.

Blizzaks are good and popular tires here in southcentral. My wife has studded Hankook iPikes on her Forester and I run studded Nokian Hakkapiliittas on my F350 and both vehicles do well in any winter condition. You can get both tires non-studded, however I can't say how well they work without studs. I drive thousands of miles every winter on snow and ice pulling a trailer behind my truck and I like what I have.

My daily driver is an AWD Mountaineer. The winter tires for it are the worst winter tires ever made. Glacier Grip with light weight studs. All the studs have broken off and they are no longer really studded tires. I've been driving on them year around trying to just wear them out but they still have lots of tread left. The tire compound is just too hard to be any good on ice. This car maybe sees 10-15 miles a day and with these tires I drive it like grandma going to church on Sunday when the roads are icy. Does OK in soft snow but it is a toboggan on ice.

Old 08-21-2021, 02:48 AM

300 posts, read 325,830 times
We have Nokian Hakka's on the Highlander, on my F350 I went with heavily siped Yokohama all terrains. We'll see how they do over the next few months, but I think they'll be fine. Most winters I've just been running Toyo M/T's. Load range F's, I tow heavy sometimes.

Old 08-21-2021, 12:40 PM

3,002 posts, read 2,133,705 times
I am surprised that no one has mentioned getting slightly narrower snow tires. In my experience (admittedly not in Alaska), that makes more difference than the brand of snow tires.

Old 08-21-2021, 06:19 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,063,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
I am surprised that no one has mentioned getting slightly narrower snow tires. In my experience (admittedly not in Alaska), that makes more difference than the brand of snow tires.
I am a fan of pizza cutter tires in the mountains. Not so much in the snow & ice.

Old 08-21-2021, 09:19 PM

3,002 posts, read 2,133,705 times
Quote:
I am a fan of pizza cutter tires in the mountains. Not so much in the snow & ice.
Deep snow and ice is where the narrower snow tires are most effective. Wider tires are better in packed snow…

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=126

https://www.tirereview.com/breaking-winter-tires/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska