Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2022, 03:12 PM

2,021 posts, read 1,650,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
Not that hard to visit. Buy a plane ticket and come visit. Pro-Tip: if visiting is too expensive, then living here is definitely too expensive.

There. Fixed it for ya.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2022, 08:01 PM

1,809 posts, read 897,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Really? Which one of these is Alaska and which one is the Olympic Peninsula? It's not a trick, I just grabbed two radom locations from Google Maps.

We played that game last year.

Old 03-16-2022, 01:48 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
happygrrrl is correct that the Olympic Peninsula is nothing like Alaska. But I can tell you that the geography of the entire west coast regions from Washington all the way up the coast through BC to Alaska and beyond mostly all looks to the unfamiliar eye like those two pictures.

The things that make the two regions very different from each other is their respective climates, the temperatures, the visual clarity, colour and quality of the atmosphere and the moisture and invisible ice crystals content in it, the various shades, sharpness, brightness and depths of the green vegetation and the types and sizes of the flora and fauna, the economies, the people and their respective cultures. They aren't the same.

So which image is Alaska and which is the Olympic Peninsula? I'm still waiting for the answer. Since they are nothing alike, it should be eazy.

Old 03-16-2022, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
We played that game last year.
Do you have a link, or the thread title? The only one I remember was the Alaska vs the lower 48 thread. That most discussed the difference between Alaska and Utah and Nevada. The difference between Alaska and Utah and Nevada, is a bit greater then the difference between Alaska and the Olympic Peninsula, which are only 500 miles apart.

Old 03-16-2022, 02:23 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Do you have a link, or the thread title? The only one I remember was the Alaska vs the lower 48 thread. That most discussed the difference between Alaska and Utah and Nevada. The difference between Alaska and Utah and Nevada, is a bit greater then the difference between Alaska and the Olympic Peninsula, which are only 500 miles apart.
Digging yourself in again, I see. This won't go well for you, Cloudy.

You have never even been to Alaska, and you probably haven't been to the Olympic Peninsula, either. You or anyone else could find landscape photos from many places on the planet that would resemble the two that you posted. So? I could post a photo of my yard here in Oregon and another of my yard in Alaska and play the same game but it wouldn't prove anything.

Can't say it any better than this guy did, so I'll just repost and hope it sinks in:

Quote:
The things that make the two regions very different from each other is their respective climates, the temperatures, the visual clarity, colour and quality of the atmosphere and the moisture and invisible ice crystals content in it, the various shades, sharpness, brightness and depths of the green vegetation and the types and sizes of the flora and fauna, the economies, the people and their respective cultures. They aren't the same.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 03-16-2022 at 03:19 PM..

Old 03-16-2022, 03:11 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,100,771 times
Quote:
happygrrrl is correct that the Olympic Peninsula is nothing like Alaska. But I can tell you that the geography of the entire west coast regions from Washington all the way up the coast through BC to Alaska and beyond mostly all looks to the unfamiliar eye like those two pictures.

Ding ding ding! +10

Old 03-16-2022, 09:39 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
So which image is Alaska and which is the Olympic Peninsula? I'm still waiting for the answer. Since they are nothing alike, it should be eazy.
It's easy.

C'mon Cloudy, you know this here old great-grandma doesn't like to play cocky, tricky-dicky kids challenge games without giving you a lecture too. I already explained what some of the differences are between the two states and you're ignoring that. Just so you know, I have lived in many places in the Pacific west from Alaska south to Washington so I have a pretty good eye for the appearances of "conditions" in the west.

I hope you realize that if I play your game and tell you the location of each of those pictures then whether I'm right or wrong, the rules of your game are that since I give you an answer you are now required to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that I'm right or wrong.

And you get a bonus out of it, because I'll give you a reason why instead of just giving a guess.

At a glance I believe the top picture is somewhere in south central Alaska and the bottom picture is on or near the Olympic Peninsula. Some of my reasons are because there is a lot of copper in the water in the top picture and no copper in the water in the bottom picture. Also because of the conditions and colours of the lower and upper atmospheres in each picture. And because of the heights, colours, conditions and species of forest trees, plus the top picture has little or no deciduous trees and the bottom picture does have some deciduous trees mixed in with the coniferous.

I could also say that both of those pictures could just as easily be in many locations throughout British Columbia.

So now post your evidence for me ...... I'll settle for the internet links to your two pictures with information about their locations. I'll be waiting.

Old 03-17-2022, 07:14 AM

Quote:
It's easy.

C'mon Cloudy, you know this here old great-grandma doesn't like to play cocky, tricky-dicky kids challenge games without giving you a lecture too. I already explained what some of the differences are between the two states and you're ignoring that. Just so you know, I have lived in many places in the Pacific west from Alaska south to Washington so I have a pretty good eye for the appearances of "conditions" in the west.

I hope you realize that if I play your game and tell you the location of each of those pictures then whether I'm right or wrong, the rules of your game are that since I give you an answer you are now required to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that I'm right or wrong.

And you get a bonus out of it, because I'll give you a reason why instead of just giving a guess.

At a glance I believe the top picture is somewhere in south central Alaska and the bottom picture is on or near the Olympic Peninsula. Some of my reasons are because there is a lot of copper in the water in the top picture and no copper in the water in the bottom picture. Also because of the conditions and colours of the lower and upper atmospheres in each picture. And because of the heights, colours, conditions and species of forest trees, plus the top picture has little or no deciduous trees and the bottom picture does have some deciduous trees mixed in with the coniferous.

I could also say that both of those pictures could just as easily be in many locations throughout British Columbia.

So now post your evidence for me ...... I'll settle for the internet links to your two pictures with information about their locations. I'll be waiting.

Thank you. At least somebody was willing to take the bait. The top picture is on Lake Quinault on the Olympic Peninsula. It's labeled Willaby Campground, but it's actually taken from a boat on the lake.

Willaby Campground - Google Maps

The bottom picture is on the Pacific Ocean. It's one of the waterways between the islands on the very southern tip of Alaska. And I agree, either picture could just as easily have been taken in BC. Because It's all part of the same region, and it all looks similar. People here act like when you cross a border, suddenly you are in a different world. But that's not the way it works. Those are just imaginary man made lines. They have nothing to do with nature.

Old 03-17-2022, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
I'm not playing this game.
Of course you wouldn't play. Because if you had played, you would have lost.

Old 03-17-2022, 09:26 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:

...... The bottom picture is on the Pacific Ocean. It's one of the waterways between the islands on the very southern tip of Alaska......
I think you mean the panhandle. I still need the link to that please. I'd like to see the tidelines.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska