Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2022, 09:44 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Of course you wouldn't play. Because if you had played, you would have lost.
50-50 chance of guessing correctly!

One could probably find photos of several places in PNW or Kamchatka peninsula that look similar to parts of SE, with the environment dominated by water and conifer forests.
You could also find photos of SE to compare with Norway that would be difficult to distinguish between the two. Not sure the Olympic Peninsula could play in that game.

The context of a community could help distinguish between the relative locations.

With the Olympic peninsula, I believe the mountains are many miles from any given town.

In SE, the towns are frequently clinging to the sides of mountains. Avalanches and mudslides can be a hazard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2022, 01:34 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Of course you wouldn't play. Because if you had played, you would have lost.
Cloudy, this is almost as good as the time you tried to claim that "settlers" were moving to Alaska in "droves" in covered wagons during the great land grab of the 1800's to play farmer in the dell.

You've never even been here, yet you spend a lot of time wielding Google and trying to tell us about our home. Why is that?

The second photo looks a lot like my area on the southern panhandle, but because I don't like gotcha games, I didn't play. The first has that unmistakably tarted-up look of National Parks photos. But your Google games don't prove anything. Here's just a few of the reasons why:

Alaska's southern panhandle gets a lot more rain than the OP. It also has no wineries or agricultural land to speak of (yes, I realize you'll be heading to Google to try to "prove me wrong," so I'll state in advance that the area does have some minimal farming; those who are doing so had to bring in their own soil) — my point is that it's far from the norm; you won't be driving your car through a pleasantly bucolic countryside with vineyards and lavender fields out the window. The OP has maple and oak trees. People go there in the fall for "leaf-peeping;" nobody does that in SE.

I won't touch on the cultural differences, but they're significant.

Old 03-17-2022, 01:44 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Cloudy, this is almost as good as the time you tried to claim that "settlers" were moving to Alaska in "droves" in covered wagons during the great land grab of the 1800's to play farmer in the dell.

You've never even been here, yet you spend a lot of time wielding Google and trying to tell us about our home. Why is that?

The second photo looks a lot like my area on the southern panhandle, but because I don't like gotcha games, I didn't play. The first has that unmistakably tarted-up look of National Parks photos. But your Google games don't prove anything. Here's just a few of the reasons why:

Alaska's southern panhandle gets a lot more rain than the OP. It also has no wineries or agricultural land to speak of (yes, I realize you'll be heading to Google to try to "prove me wrong," so I'll state in advance that the area does have some minimal farming; those who are doing so had to bring in their own soil) — my point is that it's far from the norm; you won't be driving your car through a pleasantly bucolic countryside with vineyards and lavender fields out the window. The OP has maple and oak trees. People go there in the fall for "leaf-peeping;" nobody does that in SE.

I won't touch on the cultural differences, but they're significant.
Met, you do realize by responding to our little plays-like-he-knows-it-all-but-knows-nothing troll you're giving him what he wants, right? Some of us refuse to engage and put him on Ignore a long time ago.

Old 03-17-2022, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Met, you do realize by responding to our little plays-like-he-knows-it-all-but-knows-nothing troll you're giving him what he wants, right? Some of us refuse to engage and put him on Ignore a long time ago.
I'm aware, but whether to put someone on "ignore" is a personal decision. I have been posting with Cloudy for years and have a love/hate relationship with the old troll, and I am not convinced that he is completely beyond redemption (though every now and then, I put him in a time-out). He makes me laugh sometimes, and not in a bad way (laughing with him and not at him). That's worth something to me these days.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 03-17-2022 at 03:05 PM..

Old 03-17-2022, 03:45 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,044,643 times
I did not mean to imply that anyplace in the Lower 48 is like Alaska in every way. As the original poster gave very little information, it's hard to guess exactly what it is about Alaska s/he is looking for, or even which region of the state s/he finds most appealing.

With respect to Washington state, I was thinking somewhere west of Olympic NP. It's relatively unpopulated, gets a lot of rain and cloudy days (Google machine says 110 inches of rain annually in Forks), and has a coastline that's largely undeveloped.

Of course there are lots of differences. To my knowledge western Washington state has no polar bears, brown bears, musk ox, reindeer, etc. There are no large glaciers. I'll guess traveling by bush plane is a rarity. I'm sure you folks who live in AK can write a very long list, haha!

Last edited by hikernut; 03-17-2022 at 04:40 PM..

Old 03-17-2022, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I think you mean the panhandle. I still need the link to that please. I'd like to see the tidelines.

The first thing I thought of when I saw the second photo was Rose Inlet, but it could be so many other places in the archipelago.

Old 03-17-2022, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post

With respect to Washington state, I was thinking somewhere west of Olympic NP. It's relatively unpopulated, gets a lot of rain and cloudy days (Google machine says 110 inches of rain annually in Forks), and has a coastline that's largely undeveloped.
Now that I think of it, there were a lot of people from Forks during one of the past timber rushes, and I recall hearing that it was similar.

Old 03-18-2022, 07:01 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I think you mean the panhandle. I still need the link to that please. I'd like to see the tidelines.
Yes you are right, it is the panhandle. It's Mink Bay. The tideline is visible on the right side of the picture. I lost the exact link to the image, but you can follow the entire boat track right here.

Google - Google Maps

If that link doesn't work the cordenence is about 55.02971928409167, -130.69543345777436

Old 03-18-2022, 09:06 AM

1,810 posts, read 897,070 times
Quote:
Yes you are right, it is the panhandle. It's Mink Bay. The tideline is visible on the right side of the picture. I lost the exact link to the image, but you can follow the entire boat track right here.

Google - Google Maps

If that link doesn't work the cordenence is about 55.02971928409167, -130.69543345777436
Are you done tormenting the folks on the Utah ghost town post?

Old 03-18-2022, 12:08 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:

Google - Google Maps

Thanks, I found the inlet as well as the original picture and was able to zoom in on the iron oxide tidelines. Yes, it's near the south end of the panhandle and relatively close to the border as the crow flies, as a matter of fact not very far from where I used to live in BC when I was young. It's within the temperate coastal rainforest zone which accounts for the deciduous growth and the atmospheric haze.

Also I looked up Lake Quinault on the Olympic Peninsula to confirm my observation about the lake water and indeed there are copper and manganese ore deposits and mines throughout that region of Lake Quinault so that's why I saw the natural presence of copper in the lake water.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska