Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2022, 07:38 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Sorry, I didn't intend to cast a drought upon your parade. Prescott will likely remain a very desirable place to live within our lifetimes, assuming you're near my age of early 60's. It's fairly high elevation, I believe over 5,000 ft. That could be a problem for some people.

I know a 60 something couple originally from Juneau who will be selling their retirement home near St. George, Utah because hubby can't handle the thin air anymore. He got Covid in 2020 and his lung function has been compromised ever since. They are looking at Northern Idaho now.
Another dream shot. I could do OK at 5,000, but who knows about when I'm older. I'm looking at some places in the Cascades foothills in Oregon where my family is from. Anywhere but the Oregon Coast anymore.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 06-17-2022 at 07:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2022, 08:10 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Look in the mirror. Guess you can dish it out but not take it.
There you are, overreacting again.

My post included a smiley because I was just teasing about Alaskan winters.
You said "There are some really nice parts of California except for one thing: there are Californians there."

There is a difference between teasing about cold weather (with a smiley, no less) which I did, and denigrating the inhabitants of an entire state, which is what you did.

I guess I'm more accustomed to my easy-going Mainer friends who admit to missing out on sunshine, while I pine for their delicious lobster.

Old 06-17-2022, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
There you are, overreacting again.

My post included a smiley because I was just teasing about Alaskan winters.
You said "There are some really nice parts of California except for one thing: there are Californians there."

There is a difference between teasing about cold weather (with a smiley, no less) which I did, and denigrating the inhabitants of an entire state, which is what you did.

I guess I'm more accustomed to my easy-going Mainer friends who admit to missing out on sunshine, while I pine for their delicious lobster.
Oh, I see; because my post didn't include a "smiley," I must have been overreacting.

I wasn't even responding to you with the post that you complained about, by the way, and I haven't spent a winter in Alaska since 2018. You're being way too touchy.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 06-17-2022 at 08:43 PM..

Old 06-18-2022, 10:04 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post

...There is a difference between teasing about cold weather (with a smiley, no less) which I did, and denigrating the inhabitants of an entire state, which is what you did..
But this is the Alaska forum, not California's. Also, one could interpret the remark in question to be a complaint about overpopulation in nice parts of that state rather than a whitewashing insult of all their citizens.

Besides, doesn't everyone in all western states have license to complain about Californians? There sure is a lot of it to be found, especially in Washington, Arizona and recently Idaho. The common complaint is that Californians are moving in and "ruining" things in the same fashion they've accomplished in their home state.

You will likely find less of this whining in Alaska because very few Golden State residents actually end up moving here to stay.

BTW, what I desire is warmth, not copious sunshine. I do have some friends who've enjoyed going to Borrego Springs every winter for a couple months over the past decade or so.

Old 06-18-2022, 03:33 PM

Quote:
But this is the Alaska forum, not California's. Also, one could interpret the remark in question to be a complaint about overpopulation in nice parts of that state rather than a whitewashing insult of all their citizens.

Besides, doesn't everyone in all western states have license to complain about Californians? There sure is a lot of it to be found, especially in Washington, Arizona and recently Idaho. The common complaint is that Californians are moving in and "ruining" things in the same fashion they've accomplished in their home state.

You will likely find less of this whining in Alaska because very few Golden State residents actually end up moving here to stay.

BTW, what I desire is warmth, not copious sunshine. I do have some friends who've enjoyed going to Borrego Springs every winter for a couple months over the past decade or so.
California retirees have ruined things in certain Oregon coastal communities. They've priced out the working class and then sit around and complain that "no one wants to work!" when they can't find anyone to clean up after them for the princely sum of $10 per hour.

Old 06-18-2022, 06:39 PM

125 posts, read 100,035 times
Quote:

You can add Colorado to the list. They have been moving here en mass for while now.

Old 06-18-2022, 07:50 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
California retirees have ruined things in certain Oregon coastal communities. They've priced out the working class and then sit around and complain that "no one wants to work!" when they can't find anyone to clean up after them for the princely sum of $10 per hour.
Yes, they create all kinds of taxes and work rules in CA, then leave North and East, get into politics, and turn the new places into the messes they left behind. It has been happening to Alaska for decades already.

Old 06-18-2022, 09:33 PM

I think there was one on the island once. I was reading the 911-log a few years ago, and someone had called because they saw a bear at Crab Creek on the way out of Craig.

Old 06-19-2022, 10:50 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
That would be quite obnoxious. A retiree has absolutely NO business complaining about a lack of workers to serve them.

I've recently interacted with a couple of relative newcomers to the state, one from Tennessee and the other from-California. They're both hospice nurses. I'm thankful for and welcoming to young, working professionals regardless of where they came from.

Old 06-19-2022, 01:55 PM

Quote:
That would be quite obnoxious. A retiree has absolutely NO business complaining about a lack of workers to serve them.
You should hear them when they get going about not having a Trader Joe's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska