Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2023, 06:07 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times

Advertisements

I've heard about these situations elsewhere with rising waters and climate changes, but this is the first I've seen for right here in the United States.

An Alaskan Town Is Losing Ground—and a Way of Life
For low-lying islands like Kivalina, climate change poses an existential threat.

For years, Kivalina has been cited—like the Maldives, in the Indian Ocean, or the island nation of Tuvalu, in the Pacific—as an example of the existential threat posed to low-lying islands by climate change.
Seven years later, Kivalina’s move is still mostly in the future, even though the island continues to lose ground. Building housing is an expensive and laborious process in the remote Arctic, and no single federal agency is responsible for relocating communities facing environmental threats.
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...-a-way-of-life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2023, 01:42 AM

5 posts, read 12,394 times
This is quite depressing to hear about and unfortunantly Kivalina isn't the only village experiencing the effects. Newtok village recently grabbed the attention of Vice news for its rapid decline.

Old 02-11-2023, 09:44 AM

2,036 posts, read 1,657,346 times
I have not been to Newtok but the residents there made a plan to move to a new site and are carrying out the years long process of moving a whole village over. The new village has been named Mertarvik.

I have been to Kivalina. If it washes into the sea I'm not sure that would be a great loss.

Old 03-01-2023, 10:59 AM

432 posts, read 760,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
I have been to Kivalina. If it washes into the sea I'm not sure that would be a great loss.

Not to be ugly about it, but I've heard the same sentiment expressed by every educator who has worked in that village.

Old 03-08-2023, 09:21 AM

910 posts, read 1,082,198 times
This happens all the time and is part of the natural process of the interaction between ocean and land. Where I live in Montana, a million years ago it was part of the inland sea. It still affects us to this day. Many areas don't have access to groundwater due to the salt absorbed by the land when it was ocean bottom. The ground water is super salinized, sometimes as much as double the amount currently in the ocean. If humans were around then, someone would be complaining about the fact that their beachfront property was now worthless because the ocean dried up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: