Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2023, 04:37 PM

10,547 posts, read 7,739,679 times

Advertisements

Ride a bike from Fairbanks to Nome on the frozen Yukon like an old gold prospector did, now that would be an adventure.
My sister worked/lived in Nome for a couple years. I regret not visiting her, but she says I didn’t miss much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2023, 09:08 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,895,355 times
For sure, Nome is a "nice place to visit but wouldn't want to live there" sort of place.

Old 05-01-2023, 11:56 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,706,855 times
April got away from me and here we are in May. I'm hoping to go somewhere this weekend or next. When do the cruise ships start running? I'm hoping to beat that crowd.

I think I'll head up to Ketchikan and Sitka since those are relatively short flights from Seattle.

Old 05-01-2023, 01:02 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
April got away from me and here we are in May. I'm hoping to go somewhere this weekend or next. When do the cruise ships start running? I'm hoping to beat that crowd.
This would be fairly easy to do the legwork on for yourself. The cruise "season" starts in mid April for some.

The companies that offer the majority of itineraries to SE AK seem to be Norwegian, Princess, Holland America, Royal Caribbean, and Carnival. You could check their websites for ports of call dates that include Ketch and maneuver your visit around them. Don't have any idea how many ships Ketch can accommodate at the same time.

Be aware that a number of local attractions/businesses orient their own operating seasons around cruise arrivals. AK imposes relatively strict air quality standards on cruiseships (use of low sulphur fuels, stack emission limitations, speeds) so not all cruise lines or specific ships are licensed to operate in state waters.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-01-2023 at 01:26 PM..

Old 05-01-2023, 01:47 PM

Looks like Princess cruises will be arriving in Sitka and Ketchikan as early as this weekend and it's a pretty big ship. Kind of a bummer if you are hoping to avoid crowds. Maybe it's better if I go somewhere else. Is Kodiak an interesting place to visit for a weekend?

Old 05-01-2023, 02:44 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Looks like Princess cruises will be arriving in Sitka and Ketchikan as early as this weekend and it's a pretty big ship. Kind of a bummer if you are hoping to avoid crowds. Maybe it's better if I go somewhere else. Is Kodiak an interesting place to visit for a weekend?
Just ONE ship? Services in a city the size of Ketch can easily manage that! Now if there were 2-3 scheduled to be in port at the same time I might alter plans to avoid them. Peak season tends to be later once more kids are out of school. There will definitely be more variety of things to do in Ketch than Kodiak. Don't discount potential people watching. IME, cruise ship passengers can be comical .

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-01-2023 at 04:11 PM..

Old 05-02-2023, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Kodiak could be interesting for a weekend. I wouldn't avoid SE just because one cruise ship happens to be in town. You won't experience "crowds" anywhere in the region, except perhaps along the main street accessible from the dock for tourists to be strolling along.

Old 05-03-2023, 06:29 AM

1,810 posts, read 897,718 times
Quote:

The cruise ship crowd in Ketchikan sticks to the area right around the docks. They don’t wonder far. In my 8 years of living there I was never bothered by the crowds. There is a lot more to Ketchikan then those 4 or 5 blocks that make up downtown.

Old 05-05-2023, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
The cruise ship crowd in Ketchikan sticks to the area right around the docks. They don’t wonder far. In my 8 years of living there I was never bothered by the crowds. There is a lot more to Ketchikan then those 4 or 5 blocks that make up downtown.
Any recommendations for things to do besides wandering around the area near the docks?

Old 10-19-2023, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bromsi View Post
I want to visit green areas
Try the Tongass or Chugach forests. Off season leaves the possibility of snow. Less chances for this in SE Alaska-Tongass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska