Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 08:59 AM

2 posts, read 4,849 times

Advertisements

IF YOU DO COME THIS WAY, SELL YOUR VEHICLE AS IT IS NOT WORTH THE HASSEL! PLUS, DEALS ARE IN THE NEWS EVERY DAY AND YOU ONLY HAVE TO LOOK. I SUGGEST YOU GET ALOT OF INFO FROM MAGAZINES AND FROM SOURCES WITH QUOTES FOR YOUR NEEDS AS IT IS MORE COSTLY TO LIVE IN ALASKA THEN SAN ANTONIO! WE LIVED THERE FOR 6 YEARS AND WE LIKED IT BUT MOVED ON BECAUSE OF RAPES AND CRIMES! GOD BLESS, AND TAKE CARE DEAR ONE!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan_Adventurer View Post
Hello Piscesgirl! I live in Anchorage, and I grew up in San Antonio, Texas. I adjusted fine to Alaska, so you shoudn't have any problems either. There are lots of hair salons and barber shops here, so finding employment is going to be fairly easy for you. Rent is fairly reasonable here. You can find a one-bedroom apartment for $500-600 or even cheaper for a studio. If all else fails, you can get a roommate. Wasilla is growing quite rapidly now, due to real estate prices in Anchorage. The problem with Anchorage is that there is no more land for expansion. The city is basically surrounded by mountains and the Cook Inlet, so land is getting so expensive. People are now buying in Wasilla and commuting to work. I am looking to buy a house, and will most likely buy in Wasilla, or what most people call "The Valley" I would suggest selling your car and buying a vehicle here. The drive up here can be a real killer. If you have any more questions, please feel free to email or IM me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 06:19 PM

624 posts, read 1,161,418 times
Default More locations Sitka , Homer and Juneau

These towns are much smaller but do have some of the amenties you are looking for. However housing in Juneau is higher and not sure about Sitka's housing costs in relation to Anchorages costs.

Sitka and Juneau , however have lots more rain and damper climate.

Ever consider Homer?

If some one told me this very moment they would furnish land and a house for me in Alaska, and I only had to pick a location, I would have a hard time deciding . Every place has its pluses and minuses. One thing for sure, I would want to live near a town/community with a good library. And at least some rudimentary health care clinic.

Its sure not going to be like Texas. But whatever your choice , wishing you lots of luck.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:18 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,442,176 times
I am not sure why everyone wants you to sell your car, but getting here is half the fun and being able to say you drove the Alcan highway. Usually the cheapest way to get your stuff here is pack it in the trunk and drive up. Convice a friend to drive up with you as a mini vacation and they can fly back if they don't fall in love with the place too.

What kind of car are your driving and how old is it? Are you comfident it will handle a 4000 mile trip?

Might as well make it an adventure.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:52 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times
I agree with Arcticthaw, you should definately drive. I drove from Los Angeles to Alaska in 1991. It is an adventure you won't soon forget.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:34 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,887,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piscesgirl View Post
Will a garage prevent you having to dig your car out of snow? Or will you just have to dig snow away from the garage door to get your car out? Do you ever have to dig yourself out of your house? if so how often and is it ever not possible to get out for a few days?
The only time I have been unable to leave my house due to natural causes is when there was a bear or a moose in my yard!

Old 11-16-2007, 01:39 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,411,206 times
So does anybody know if she showed up this past summer and did she move up here like she thought?

Old 11-16-2007, 05:23 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,887,377 times
I didn't even notice that this thread is old...
Huh, now I wonder too...?

Old 11-18-2007, 03:04 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,047,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
Huh, now I wonder too...?
City-Data Forum

It's that Temple of God guy who yells at everybody in all caps.

He picks up an old thread and then everybody is off to the races.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:53 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,823,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEMPLEOFGOD View Post
IF YOU DO COME THIS WAY, SELL YOUR VEHICLE AS IT IS NOT WORTH THE HASSEL!
Speaks as tho he/she is sitting right here in the great state of AK.

Quote:
WE LIVED THERE FOR 6 YEARS AND WE LIKED IT BUT MOVED ON BECAUSE OF RAPES AND CRIMES!
Speaks as tho he/she is "not" sitting right here in the great state of AK.

Rabblerouser! Which is it?

Old 11-18-2007, 07:22 PM

740 posts, read 1,973,536 times
I was talking to Pices over a few months, and in the end she decided to stay down south, due to reconciling with her ex. Unfortunately she hasn't logged on for about 9 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska