Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 06:02 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
How would you like it if your fuel was barged in every summer/spring? Would you pay $5.76 a gallon for gas now? Things are expensive to ship/air freight here as we speak, that goes for all of bush Alaska.
What are you using the gas for?

Personally, I try to rely as little as possible on the outside world, and in the bush, it would be a necessity as much as a desire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 06:08 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
What are you using the gas for?

Personally, I try to rely as little as possible on the outside world, and in the bush, it would be a necessity as much as a desire.
Probably to run a chainsaw to cut a three or four cords of wood to heat his home, to run the motor on his boat so he can reach the fishing spot to catch enough fish to survive, or to hunt a moose or caribou to bring food to the table, or to fill his ATV tank to haul firewood, moose and caribou meat home, or just to ride to his neighbor on a muddy trail ten miles away, or...maybe he is talking about "heating fuel" to heat his home (which can be used to run the diesel generator that powers the village

Old 06-14-2008, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Probably to run a chainsaw to cut a three or four cords of wood to heat his home.
If that were the case, while the price is high, given the amount needed, it wouldn't be too bad given the savings over using oil or gas for heating. I am a crosscut saw fan myself though...

Old 06-14-2008, 06:16 PM

Quote:
I can understand all the arguments for building roads, but understand that sooner or later that means the areas connected by it can and will become just like the over-developed lower 48, and there's no turning back from that point. So be careful what you wish for. And as oil climbs using those roads will become more expensive also, so you may find yourself in the same position you were in before the road eventually...
Looking at life in Alaska in such a way would mean that the Folks in Valdez (for example), would still be walking The Valdez Trail between Fairbanks and Valdez. Crossing nearly frozen streams on foot, breaking though the semi-frozen stream's ice (no bridges), enduring weeks of -40 to -65 degrees on the road. One thing for certain, folks in Valdez would be in great shape having to travel that far to buy food. They would be built like steel cables, thin and tough

Old 06-14-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Looking at life in Alaska in such a way would mean that the Folks in Valdez (for example), would still be walking The Valdez Trail between Fairbanks and Valdez. Crossing nearly frozen streams on foot, breaking though the semi-frozen stream ice (no bridges), and spending several weeks of travel to make it back and forth. One thing for certain, folks in Valdez would be in great shape having to travel that far to buy food.
Or they'd try to supply their own food instead of buying it.

I didn't say I was opposed to all development, but I wouldn't be so quick to spring for what's in the rest of the country. Once you connect the bush to the road system, it's no longer the bush now, is it? Living anywhere, and particularly the bush, has its tradeoffs, you trade easy availability of purchased goods for the benefits of the bush (less development, people, etc.). I kind of look at this the same way I look at rural areas elsewhere: move to and live in a rural area if you want the rural lifestyle associated with that area. Don't move there and then try to bring the conveniences of the city with you. Eventually you destroy what made that rural area special to begin with. It's happened all over this country. Hence my warning to be careful what you wish for.

Old 06-14-2008, 07:07 PM

391 posts, read 1,029,970 times
Quote:

I didn't say I was opposed to all development, but I wouldn't be so quick to spring for what's in the rest of the country. Once you connect the bush to the road system, it's no longer the bush now, is it? ...I kind of look at this the same way I look at rural areas elsewhere: move to and live in a rural area if you want the rural lifestyle associated with that area.

Arctic,

Honestly, the correlation between rural areas in the lower 48 and "the Bush" are hard to make. The Elliot already connects Fairbanks to New Minto, Manly Hot Springs, etc. Same thing for the Steese hitting Central and Circle. There is NO "urban sprawl" like we have down south. Just too rugged a life style. There isn't going to be a rush out to the west of Fairbanks if they open up new roads...I fly over the Elliot and Steese quite a bit (drive the Steese quite a bit for camping/ATVing, but not the Elliot) and there is NO plethora of vehicles going back and forth. There are the occasional vehicles making the run down to Fairbanks.

Also, someone said something about the Pebble Mine/Bethel, etc. The article at the beginning of this thread is discussing INTERIOR road connections (ie: west and north of Fairbanks...not Anchorage).

And finally, yes, I'm for giving access to my neighbors in the west if THEY want it and it is feasible. Look at a map of Central/North/Western Alaska from 20 to 30 years ago versus one today. See a difference? Neither do I.

Old 06-14-2008, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Or they'd try to supply their own food instead of buying it.

I didn't say I was opposed to all development, but I wouldn't be so quick to spring for what's in the rest of the country. Once you connect the bush to the road system, it's no longer the bush now, is it? Living anywhere, and particularly the bush, has its tradeoffs, you trade easy availability of purchased goods for the benefits of the bush (less development, people, etc.). I kind of look at this the same way I look at rural areas elsewhere: move to and live in a rural area if you want the rural lifestyle associated with that area. Don't move there and then try to bring the conveniences of the city with you. Eventually you destroy what made that rural area special to begin with. It's happened all over this country. Hence my warning to be careful what you wish for.
I agree with your point of view to a point, but only half-way after living in Alaska for nearly 30 years, and in the lower-48 before that. It's very difficult for a family with children, if not impossible at times, to survive in some places of Alaska without having to buy certain products. I understand that it's difficult for you to understand what I am referring to, but once you give Alaska a try you will understand.

We see folks from the lower-48 telling us what we can or can't do all the time, and this is the primary reason why a lot of Alaskans seem to be rude to newcomers and their attitude. I am just pointing out one of the first things of myself I changed when i arrived here with the military. Please understand that I am not being rude, just realistic. I came here from a big city in the lower-48, just like lots of Alaskans. A lot of us already know about roads, crime, overpopulation, etc.

Old 06-14-2008, 07:39 PM

I understand, arctichomesteader

The way it usually works, perhaps not all the time, is by a vote of the people. We elect representatives, including those from isolated areas of Alaska. The State can't just impose its way on the people. If the people in Bethel decide they don't want a road, more than likely they don't get it, or their representative gets kick-out of Juneau.

Old 06-14-2008, 08:29 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,951,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
So, you're moving to a suburb of Fairbanks, nice.
At least there's a strip club out by the airport.

Old 06-14-2008, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
At least there's a strip club out by the airport.
Now just how did I miss that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska