Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 09:45 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
That's very true. It seems to be part of the "master plan" for the lower 48 at any rate. Arctic you mentioned that you have a year's supply of food. Is it in cans or pails?
Both but more in buckets (with the actual food sealed in mylar bags with oxygen absorbers to create a vacuum). Mainly due to cost of the big #10 cans. Some things like salt and baking soda are in half gallon canning jars, mainly because I got a good deal on the jars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 09:58 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,951,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Both but more in buckets (with the actual food sealed in mylar bags with oxygen absorbers to create a vacuum). Mainly due to cost of the big #10 cans. Some things like salt and baking soda are in half gallon canning jars, mainly because I got a good deal on the jars.
What's the lifespan of the food in pails as opposed to the cans? I'm looking at the cans versus pails dilemma right now. The suppliers that I've checked with are backordered on the cans from 6-8 weeks right now.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:09 AM

Quote:
What's the lifespan of the food in pails as opposed to the cans? I'm looking at the cans versus pails dilemma right now. The suppliers that I've checked with are backordered on the cans from 6-8 weeks right now.
With whole dried grains like wheat, corn, oats, and also dried beans, white rice, salt, sugar and such, basically, forever as long as it's kept dry and clean. The beans could get a bit tough over time though. Brown rice lasts less than a year, usually, and ground grains (flour, corn meal, etc.) don't last as long as whole grains. The big advantages to the metal cans are they're stronger and so less likely to fail, more portable due to size and weight being less, you have less food opened and vulnerable to moisture or insects than with a big 5 gallon bucket that may have around 50 pounds of something in it, and rodents and such can't chew into them like they can into plastic containers (glass is also good against rodents and such, but it can break more easily). Things like rice can sometimes have eggs for insects in them that can hatch while in storage, a deep freeze for a few weeks should take care of any of those (make sure your food doesn't get wet when unthawing though) and a good vacuum when it's packed will make it difficult for them to survive long if any survived the freeze. But that's more an issue if you pack your own containers.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:
With whole dried grains like wheat, corn, oats, and also dried beans, white rice, salt, sugar and such, basically, forever as long as it's kept dry and clean. The beans could get a bit tough over time though. Brown rice lasts less than a year, usually, and ground grains (flour, corn meal, etc.) don't last as long as whole grains. The big advantages to the metal cans are they're stronger and so less likely to fail, more portable due to size and weight being less, you have less food opened and vulnerable to moisture or insects than with a big 5 gallon bucket that may have around 50 pounds of something in it, and rodents and such can't chew into them like they can into plastic containers (glass is also good against rodents and such, but it can break more easily). Things like rice can sometimes have eggs for insects in them that can hatch while in storage, a deep freeze for a few weeks should take care of any of those (make sure your food doesn't get wet when unthawing though) and a good vacuum when it's packed will make it difficult for them to survive long if any survived the freeze. But that's more an issue if you pack your own containers.
Thanks! That's good information to know. I wonder if Admin would add a homesteading/Survival section(s)?

Old 06-15-2008, 11:01 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,944,608 times
I understand that many people do not embrace the concept of "voluntary simplicity" quite as strongly as people like ArticHomesteader and I do. Like Arctic, I've lived self-reliant in harsh climates -- not AK, but -30 and 6+ months of heating season. It takes a different mindset to live that way than the mindset of the average American. I don't fault them for it, I was only hoping to remind people of the darker side of putting in a road, because I know it's easy to make a decision focusing on only the positives when you're hurting for something. Personally, I'd put a lot of thought into whether the road (and all the maintenance and hassle required) is more beneficial to a remote community than, say, an alternate energy powerplant. But that's just me. Call me romantic if you like, I'm not offended. If I fail, I know I didn't account for something. If I succeed, then I've achieved my "idealistic" goal.

Most of the financial expense of living self-sustaining are initial (nails, woodstove, buidling materials, tools, etc); but once you get those and your homestead is up and running, there is/can be very little financial expense. The biggest expense is your time and labor... but, if you like that sort of work, you're just happily self-employed working for what you need instead of for a paycheck to buy what you need. I survived quite nicely on 6 hours of work a day, with on occasional "all-nighter" when one of the animals was in labor. I figure that AK will be maybe 2-3 times more difficult... so 12-18 hours of work a day, but this time I'll have my husband to help out, so it's still only 6-9 hours a day (same as a "job"). It takes a bit of planning and managing to survive the self-sufficient way; but the adage "work smarter, not harder" definitely applies. But, no, you don't get weekends, holidays and vacations off.

Yes, humans are social animals... but luckily we don't *have* to satisfy that social need with only our own species. Humans adapt quite well to socializing with animals and vice-versa. In fact, "animal therapy" is one of the most successful forms of mental and physical therapy - which I don't think is a coincidence. And, as for a partner being repelled by your stank because you can't bathe... well, if you're both not bathing then there's no noticing, just like you both eating garlic at dinner so kissing later isn't a problem.

Arctic - look into goats for your dairy needs. They require much less space to feed and house, and do extremely well foraging on their own. The only thing you'd probably have to supplement is selenium salt and some soda.

My tubs of vac-packs are rated for 10 years for "optimal freshness" (plus the empty buckets come in handy in all sorts of ways). The #10 cans are about the same/little longer... but I've found cans of "wet" food staples (like lard) are a bit problematic because they tend to burst if they freeze.

Old 06-15-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
I wonder if Admin would add a homesteading/Survival section(s)?
I think that's a wonderful idea Barking... then we "romantic" homesteader-types wouldn't be out in the general public irritating the other folks as much!

Old 06-15-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
I think that's a wonderful idea Barking... then we "romantic" homesteader-types wouldn't be out in the general public irritating the other folks as much!
Actually it would be easier to exchange information. That was my thinking anyway...

Old 06-15-2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Actually it would be easier to exchange information. That was my thinking anyway...
Well, of course, that's an equally great reason

Old 06-15-2008, 02:43 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Quote:
Well thanks for all the nice comments guys.

In no particular order, my responses: You don't cut and chop your wood in the middle of winter. I had to do that once in northern VT at -30, it just doesn't work too good. Late winter is the best time to cut trees and then they can be cut to firewood sized pieces and chopped through the spring and summer. I kept a 12 by 16 cabin warm in VT once with just an axe and crosscut saw (and file for sharpening). I'm planning on a 16 by 16 cabin for my main cabin on my land and I'm sure I can heat that using hand tools just fine. Should I fall behind, sure, I can have a chainsaw as backup to avoid freezing, but as I've said, I'd prefer not to be a slave to the oil companies. I also cooked on that heating stove (not a cookstove BTW) and it took practice and some burned food but I got the hang of it.

I've lived without electricity or running water or such before, here in VT. I was quite fine. One of those times I was living in a tent in the woods in the late winter/early spring. I survived quite okay. Obviously not everyone would want to do that, I have no problem doing it. I've collected items that'll make things fairly well for me when I have no electricity, including my lamps, some kerosene and gasoline, some that will burn other fuels so I could avoid relying on oil companies should I need or want to. You know a lot of "homesteader" types like me throughout this country actually enjoy this sort of work, so it isn't simply "work" to us, keep that in mind.

I'm quite good at gardening, fishing and hunting here in VT, and preserving those foods. AK is different but given my experience and knowledge I'm sure I can adapt to the different conditions. Razor edge of survival? Hardly, but I'd never rely on one food source. Two is one, one is none. Always have other options. I'm a bit of a survivalist already, and have a year's worth of basic food items (grains and beans and fats and such). I intend to bring similar amounts of supplies in my first year or two to ensure I don't starve as I get used to the new conditions and area.

Grain is easy to grind with a good grain grinder. Get a good one and it's hardly work at all to grind enough flour for some bread. Get a cheap/poor grinder, and yeah, you'll be working hard for some poor quality flour.

Floyd: there are a handful of neighbors within a 1 mile radius, not many, but some. So I won't have anyone right on top of me but there will be people nearby...

Hey if everyone wants to laugh at me I don't care, but give me 1 or 2 years to see how I do first. By all means, build your roads if you're convinced they'll solve your problems. But, I just saw that gas is $4.08 here. $5.75 a gallon down here isn't far fetched in the future. By all means stay reliant on the oil companies. A lot of people will be getting used to "lower" standards of living soon, and it ain't going to just be in AK.
Nobody is laughing at you here. Soon enough you will realize that Alaskans don't like being told what they should or shouldn't have, specially from folks who know nothing about Alaska. You probably noticed that the problem began when you "advised" Alaskans not to have road access and such, and after all the negative responses you received, you sill continue preaching the same thing. That's the attitude I referred to in a previous post, just leave it in the lower-48, for it won't get you very far up here, specially with the few neighbors you will have.

Old 06-15-2008, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Nobody is laughing at you here. Soon enough you will realize that Alaskans don't like being told what they should or shouldn't have, specially from folks who know nothing about Alaska. You probably noticed that the problem began when you "advised" Alaskans not to have road access and such, and after all the negative responses you received, you sill continue preaching the same thing. That's the attitude I referred to in a previous post, just leave it in the lower-48, for it won't get you very far up here, specially with the few neighbors you will have.
My first post on this thread said: "but understand that sooner or later that means the areas connected by it can and will become just like the over-developed lower 48, and there's no turning back from that point. So be careful what you wish for."

So I was merely pointing out what happens in the lower 48, and suggesting that people consider it very carefully and with the long term results in mind, not just short term gains. Alaska's harsh climate can't entirely protect it from what development does in other states, just look at Anchorage. So like I said, be careful what you wish for, you might get more than you expected. But go ahead and prove me wrong...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska