Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2008, 11:50 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,189,427 times

Advertisements

I've looked at the empireonline and can't find much information; but was told there would be fireworks midnight July 3rd. Can someone give me information about the typical celebrations,parades,etc.? Where is the best spot to park to view the fireworks? Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 01:56 PM

Default Never mind!!!

Never mind!

Old 07-02-2008, 02:12 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,572,153 times
The fireworks display starts around 12:01 AM on July 4th. To get a good parking spot, you need to get to the downtown area as early as 8:30 PM or even earlier on July 3rd. Since this is your first year here, I'd suggest finding parking around the Centennial Hall parking lot and walking down to the waterfront area to view the fireworks. There will be a lot of young people down there, but it's usually family friendly. If you want to stay by your car, good spots can be found along Egan Drive, just past the intersection at the bridge to Douglas down to where the sub-port used to be. You just park up on the sidewalk, lay out a blanket and lawn chairs and wait for it to start. You might get some late comers who'll set up by you about 15 minutes before the start, so make sure you stake out the area you want early versus just before the start. The other main area is from the Douglas side of the channel, but it's best to be invited by friends who live there as parking is limited.

Once the fireworks are over, expect an hours delay in getting out. The traffic will be bad. one way to avoid it is to pack up during the fireworks and leave just as the finale is completing. If you park along the road and need to go to the valley, I've made a u-turn from the left turn lane at the street going to the State Museum. If you end up on Willoughby, I suggest you forget about getting back on Egan and go past the high school. It will be easier to get back on by the entrance near the hospital.

The parade will start about 11 AM on the 4th and will last about an hour. Anywhere on Egan is a good spot (water side). The main reason for getting there early is to find a parking spot, but usually 10 AM is soon enough. Once the parade is over, many participants will go to Douglas for their parade at 2 PM. The Sandy Beach/Savikko Park area is the active area after the Juneau parade, with many activities. Getting there and parking can be a problem, but I think they offer free bus service from downtown.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:14 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,572,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
Never mind!
Too late.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:34 PM

ok, and thanks for responding. I did find some information online just this morning, which is why I posted nevermind. But your response is appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
The fireworks display starts around 12:01 AM on July 4th. To get a good parking spot, you need to get to the downtown area as early as 8:30 PM or even earlier on July 3rd. Since this is your first year here, I'd suggest finding parking around the Centennial Hall parking lot and walking down to the waterfront area to view the fireworks. There will be a lot of young people down there, but it's usually family friendly. If you want to stay by your car, good spots can be found along Egan Drive, just past the intersection at the bridge to Douglas down to where the sub-port used to be. You just park up on the sidewalk, lay out a blanket and lawn chairs and wait for it to start. You might get some late comers who'll set up by you about 15 minutes before the start, so make sure you stake out the area you want early versus just before the start. The other main area is from the Douglas side of the channel, but it's best to be invited by friends who live there as parking is limited.

Once the fireworks are over, expect an hours delay in getting out. The traffic will be bad. one way to avoid it is to pack up during the fireworks and leave just as the finale is completing. If you park along the road and need to go to the valley, I've made a u-turn from the left turn lane at the street going to the State Museum. If you end up on Willoughby, I suggest you forget about getting back on Egan and go past the high school. It will be easier to get back on by the entrance near the hospital.

The parade will start about 11 AM on the 4th and will last about an hour. Anywhere on Egan is a good spot (water side). The main reason for getting there early is to find a parking spot, but usually 10 AM is soon enough. Once the parade is over, many participants will go to Douglas for their parade at 2 PM. The Sandy Beach/Savikko Park area is the active area after the Juneau parade, with many activities. Getting there and parking can be a problem, but I think they offer free bus service from downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska