Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2008, 07:55 PM

6 posts, read 93,767 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Well....I am interested in knowing anything I can find out regarding Cold Bay as my husband is currently in the process of getting a job in Cold Bay.

Cannot find any information about housing other than what my husband has already mentioned but his information about the area is over 20 years old ( that was when he was last there). He beleives it is more or less all government property and thinks there are no private properties?

I am trying to brace myself and educate myself on the way of life - being English I am still adjusting to the differences in the american way of life. I am determined to see everything as positively as I can but suspect there will be times I will experience frustrations - preparation is everything!

Looking forward to hearing anything anyone has to offer in information and advice.... thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 08:42 PM

124 posts, read 340,922 times
Cold Bay is a small friendly community. Small school with a graduating class of 0-5 kids...it seems that most folks are employed either in government jobs or the fishing industry....Realize you will have to shop on-line, or come into Anchorage...it is much like Bethel in that regard.

Good Luck, and take rain gear and warm sweaters, and a good attitude..

Old 06-29-2008, 08:45 PM

49 posts, read 232,637 times
There was a Cold Bay thread on this forum last fall - do a search of the Alaska forum for a "Cold Bay" thread and you'll find it (it was called "Realtor in Cold Bay, AK").

I believe there IS private land there. But living there will definitely require an adjustment. Here's what I said on that prior forum:

"I spent two nights in Cold Bay in August 2002. The Izembek Wildlife Refuge was wonderful, but there's a lot involved in living there. Besides visiting there (which of course you need to do), you might be able to get specific info from someone who works at the US Fish and Wildlife station there - they have a pretty large presence there (this link has a local phone number: Office Directory: U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service). I'd call them and just explain what you want to do and see if someone will talk with you.

It's an interesting place. Good luck."

This is what Marty Van Diest said, in two posts:

"Have you ever been to Cold Bay? There aren't any Realtors there as far as I know. You could fly there and probably tour ever house in town in one afternoon.

Population according to Wikipedia is 88. That's about accurate I think.

I don't live there, but I do like the area. But it seems there are only 88 people in the whole world willing to live there. Like any place, you need to visit. If you flew into town and asked around you would likely find out about 95% of the places that you could buy with one or two stops."

and

"Forgetwho has it right. It's kind of a cool spot...in more ways than one.

I've been there several times by boat and by air. To give you perspective, it's about as far to Cold Bay from Anchorage as it is to Prudhoe Bay. And of course you can't drive there.

I'm curious as to why you want to live in the area. It is pretty much an airport and some government buildings and support people.

I do like the spot myself, primarily because it is so remote but still has jet service to Anchorage."

Snootylooter had this suggestion:

"Try Alaska's Remote Property LLC, Anchorage, Alaska. They have several properties, lodges, land, etc., with great photos and descriptions."

There are a few other posts on that thread as well.

Here are a couple of other things I remember from my visit in 2002:

1. People took bears very, very seriously and didn't leave "town" without a firearm.

2. A Fish & Wildlife biologist who befriended me there told me that I was the first person to visit there in the year she had been there who just wanted to see the place - who wasn't either doing research or hunting.

3. There is no resident law enforcement person.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:48 PM

6 posts, read 93,767 times
Apologies, I didnt search first.... but thanks for the recap and for the replies.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,919 times
I was in Cold Bay from 1955 to 1957 when I was in the Army, Alaska Communication System. I see these
are all old related subjects, but maybe someone was around then?

Meryld
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska