Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 03:59 PM

6 posts, read 26,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boydgreen View Post
I was stationed at Campion in 1970-71. Galena was still a village, with many Aleute Indians. I remember the bar with dirt floors, and the frigid winters
Boyd Green
I was stationed in Galena in 1970 and have remained here. I collect stories, history and photos of the local area.

Do you have any thing to contribute to our collection?
Thank you,
Larry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guvjim View Post
My name is Jim Thompson. I remember our radio station from Campion was mostly country music because the guy who had the most air time was a guy we called "Country Boy Bishop". We went to Galena one night to hear a "concert" by the natives, who, when guys went to rotate back to the lower 48 would trade their guitars, banjos, etc. to the natives for parkas, muk luks (MS) or whatever, and I was completely astonished at what I witnessed. It was like attending "The Grand Ole Opry". Just by listening to the radio, these people had learned to play the instruments perfectly. I happen to have a picture of me at the time I was there taken in December of 1956. If you would care to see it. let me know.
I was stationed in Galena in 1970 and have remained here. I collect stories, history and photos of the local area.

Thank you,
Larry

Old 06-23-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remnett View Post
I was at Galena 1960-1961 before most of the posts except for HapRay. Have lots of pics and memories from my time there. Spent my working hours at the missile shop near the hangers for the Alert birds (F-102s at that time ).

Thank you,
Larry

Old 08-22-2009, 07:01 AM

2 posts, read 6,952 times
Default Spent one year in Galena (Air Force) 1967-68

Hi everybody! In 1967 I was in the Air Force and stationed at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, in Tucson, Arizona. I received orders to go to Vietnam, and even went home to New York, to say good-bye to my family. While I was home in New York, I received orders to go to Galena, Alaska instead of Vietnam! I have very special memories of Galena! My name is Joe.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:18 PM

1 posts, read 4,568 times
Was there in 68-69. Remember Hobos or the Yucon Inn and the Mural of the Shooting of Dan McGrew and also the bar fights. The betting on the ice breakup, going bear hunting, the fish wheels. Have pics and if I can figure out how to send them I will. Tom

Old 11-14-2009, 04:42 PM

1 posts, read 4,457 times
amazeing hearing from you folks,spent 1 year remote et galena best year of my life us to go fishing an camping up the yukon it feilt great when youve been somewhere that no ones been before,sunsets were amazeing

Old 11-14-2009, 04:43 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,123,667 times
Spell check.

Old 11-14-2009, 11:11 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,859,942 times
OK folks, linguistic trivia spoken here. GALENA in spanish is pronounced (guy YEAH nuh) and it translates out to "HEN". I'll bet yall wonder how you ever lived without that information. Sorry, sometimes late at night I get tired and punchy. Methinks it is time to crash, see yall tomorrow----g'nite.

Old 11-15-2009, 12:07 AM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
I was stationed at Galena from Jan 72 to Jan 73. I worked at the Armed Forces Radio Station that was located in the Hangar on the base. I enjoyed my year there. I was glad when it was over though, because it was also the end of my 4 year enlistment.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:12 PM

1 posts, read 4,233 times
Default spent time in Galena as a kid

My family moved to Galena in the summer of 1947. we lived there until the summer of 1950 when my father transferred to FSS Woody Island near Kodiak. He was a heavy equipment mechanic working for the Civil Aeronautics Administration (CAA)- now the Federal aviation administration (FAA). I have many memories associated with my stay there including associating with the airmen stationed there and going to grade school in a "little red schoolhouse"
which was actually an olive drab Quonset hut.
I have a few stories about events there that some of you Air Force guys might be interested in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska