Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 07:43 PM

7 posts, read 49,534 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about buying land around Tok. I have been looking at the DNR website and they offer land in the Tok area. Me and a friend are planning on flying up this summer to look around. My buddy and I are maried to cousens and we are planning to buy a pice togather as a vacation place we live full time in northwest Wyoming near Yollowstone N.P. but want to get someware remote we like hunting and fishing and we want to spend a couple of months a year up in your area just looking for a place that we can get supplys and such and someware we dont have to fly to and Tok looks like a good place what do you think we are not afraid of cold weather but not planning on staying in the winter how are the bugs in summer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 08:31 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codwyguy View Post
I am thinking about buying land around Tok. I have been looking at the DNR website and they offer land in the Tok area. Me and a friend are planning on flying up this summer to look around. My buddy and I are maried to cousens and we are planning to buy a pice togather as a vacation place we live full time in northwest Wyoming near Yollowstone N.P. but want to get someware remote we like hunting and fishing and we want to spend a couple of months a year up in your area just looking for a place that we can get supplys and such and someware we dont have to fly to and Tok looks like a good place what do you think we are not afraid of cold weather but not planning on staying in the winter how are the bugs in summer?
Well, bugs should be plentiful during the summer, but it beats the few days of -70 degrees of winter. It's not always that cold, but it gets there every now and then.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:41 PM

26 posts, read 81,115 times
Bugs are pretty bad everywhere in the summer in AK. The fall is nice though.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:29 PM

sounds about the same as wyoming you get in the mountains and the bugs are bad but they thin out good by augast so we are planning to come up late aug. or erly sept.

Old 03-08-2008, 01:04 AM

395 posts, read 1,716,828 times
Ah Cod', Are you sure Tok is where you want to have a vacation spot for land or even a home? Tok is in middle of nowhere. I don't recall any close by places for good fishing. I am not an an Alaskan person yet but I've been through Tok a number of times. Your wives may have second thoughts when they see the area. You may wish to discuss your plans with them before making any decision. I am all for you 2 couples finding a place in Alaska.
Have you look in areas in the Kenai or Valdez or Haines? You will probably will need to fly into Anchorage, rent a car and drive to Tok. I believe there is a small airport in Fairbanks but I don't think they make connection from the lower 48. Youse guys North, correct me if I am mistaken.

Old 03-08-2008, 01:53 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,032,359 times
Fairbanks has an international airport. You can fly there in any kind of commercial jet.

Fly there and rent a car to go to Tok. If you want to get good salmon fishing you need to go farther west...but there is good hunting around Tok. Sort of.

I really dont think there is any good hunting in Alaska near the road system. You need to fly in or boat in to get into good hunting.

Old 03-08-2008, 03:11 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,651,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMFEB31 View Post
Ah Cod', Are you sure Tok is where you want to have a vacation spot for land or even a home? Tok is in middle of nowhere. I don't recall any close by places for good fishing.
The problem with Tok is that highway, and they don't actually build roads to nowhere, so Tok can't be in the middle of nowhere.

For good hunting and fishing, get a ticket on a 747 to the "little" airport in Fairbanks, and take a smaller plane from there to somewhere, in the middle of nowhere, where there aren't any roads.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:30 AM

we are going to fly up to anchorage and rent a vehicle in aug. and look around the state but the reason i have chosen tok as a posible choice is because of the road and accesabilty i am not planning on just hanging out in tok but we need a bace of opperations that we can get to on our own to drive up through canada it is close for alaska standards 2500 miles from my house we want to bring up a large older travel trailor and build a snow shed over it and a shipping container to store a vehicle that we will leave in alaske and other stuff we want to keep secure for that we need a way to get their by wheeled vehicle then when we have our base and then we can get other things we need like a boat 4 wheelers then their will come a time that we will be able to just fly up and we will have all of our stuff up their then we can go whear ever

Old 03-08-2008, 09:11 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,951,581 times
Can I have either Cliff Notes or punctuation, please?

Old 03-08-2008, 02:42 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codwyguy View Post
we are going to fly up to anchorage and rent a vehicle in aug. and look around the state but the reason i have chosen tok as a posible choice is because of the road and accesabilty i am not planning on just hanging out in tok but we need a bace of opperations that we can get to on our own to drive up through canada it is close for alaska standards 2500 miles from my house we want to bring up a large older travel trailor and build a snow shed over it and a shipping container to store a vehicle that we will leave in alaske and other stuff we want to keep secure for that we need a way to get their by wheeled vehicle then when we have our base and then we can get other things we need like a boat 4 wheelers then their will come a time that we will be able to just fly up and we will have all of our stuff up their then we can go whear ever
I hope some folks from Toke can tell you about that area. I have been there a few times. Keep in mind that more than likely you will need a jet boat to travel Alaska rivers. Also, and ATV won't get you very far from Toke to hunt. An airplane would be a better idea. Well...I better let some "Tokeans" do the talking, since they know more about their town than I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska