U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2008, 02:55 AM

1,007 posts, read 1,991,384 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know the Inuit or Native Alaskan name for "Big Dog/s"?

I know this is probably a little off topic, BUT my hubby swears he heard the word before and he really liked it. We are starting up our kennel and trying to remember this name to incorporate into the name of our kennel and farm. We raise Giant Alaskan Malamutes so that was the main reason for wanting the name.
He thinks he heard it in the either the "snow dogs" movie or "8 below". We are not personally native Alaskan (obviously or I wouldn't be asking) but our Mals are and such we felt deserved the name...if that makes sense. Any help would be much appreciated...Thank you, Stephanie

I will be posting this on a few of the other forums too. So if you see it somewhere else I'mjust trying to get as much help as I can. Thanks Again.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 04:57 AM

3,539 posts, read 6,821,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamChasers8 View Post
Does anyone know the Inuit or Native Alaskan name for "Big Dog/s"?
I don't speak Inupiaq, but I do have a dictionary and know at least a little about how it is structured.

In Inupiaq (northern Alaska and all across Canada and Greenland) the basic word for dog is "qimmiq", or some variation on that, such as
"qi'miq" or "qinmiq". I'm not positive about this last part, but the usual suffix to modify something to be big is "puk", hence it might be "qimmiqpuk" to indicate a "big dog".

In Yup'ik (Central Alaskan Yupik) the word commonly used is "qimugta" and a big dog is "qimulvak". There again, I do not speak the language and am repeating what is in available dictionaries. On this last one... maybe Warptman can explain it in better detail. I think he probably is fluent in Yup'ik! (And if not he know a few people who are... like Mom and Dad!)

Old 08-16-2008, 05:10 AM

21,366 posts, read 34,296,975 times
Yup, Qimugta (kee-moooggg-tah) is dog in Yup'ik. I'll ask the parents what the word for big dog. You have to drag the g like you're clearing the back of your throat getting ready to spit that saliva out. In Yup'ik, the letter R and G sound the same, but you have to drag the R from the front of your mouth. It's confusing.

Waqaa (Wah-kah)---Hello

Cangacit (Chang-ah-chit)---How are you doing?

Asirtua (ah-sirrr-two-ah)---I'm fine

Quyana (koo-yah-nah) Thank you

Quyana Caknek (Koo-yah-nah Chuk-nuk) Thank You Very Much!

Piuraa (Bee-urrr-ah) Bye!

The letter P sounds like B in Yup'ik.

Curat (chew-rrat) Blue Berries

Tangerpiit (Dung-err-peet) Black Berries

Old 08-16-2008, 05:19 AM

3,871 posts, read 16,013,759 times
Waqaa, Warptman. Scroll lovin' with curat to you.
Cangacit?

Old 08-16-2008, 05:35 AM

3,871 posts, read 16,013,759 times
Well you've left, so I will too. Quyana Caknek, Warpt. Piuraa -- Dewayne!

Old 08-16-2008, 10:45 AM

21,366 posts, read 34,296,975 times
When someone says Quyana to you, you answer with a "ii-i" (eee-e). This means "your welcome. It also means yes.

If someone asks you cangacit, normally you'd say something like, wiinga (me) (weengah)--asirtua. I am good.

Old 08-16-2008, 01:33 PM

1,007 posts, read 1,991,384 times
Wow. that is such a neat and beautiful language. I really appreciate all of your help.
These are some of the words others have told me about.

big (is) - angiyok, takiyok
dog (leader dog) - issorartuyok
dog (plays) v - unayok

My hubby said he was pretty sure it started with an S or an SH sound. How would I pronounce this word "issorartuyok"? Could it be the s so sh word he thought he heard.

Thanks for all of ya'lls help. I thought this might be the best place to come and ask something like this. You guys are great.

Old 01-06-2013, 03:14 PM

2 posts, read 4,987 times
warptman, do your parents have a way of saying, "Big Dog?"

I'm very interested too, want an honorific way of talking about Sedna's dog husband in some of the Inuit heritage story variations, since this big dog, sometimes revered as ancestor, isn't known by a personal name.

can anyone help DreamChasers8 and her husband with their family dogs, me, and others who want to know, please?

~ Ntsom, a writer in California

Old 01-06-2013, 03:17 PM

2 posts, read 4,987 times
and if not Inuit dialects, other Native Alaskan ways of saying "Big Dog" would also be very appreciated! Surely a common phrase for many speakers, we may hope?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska