Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2008, 06:39 PM

1 posts, read 7,091 times

Advertisements

Hello All~

Family and I are looking to drive from Prince Rupert, BC to Seattle within the next few months, does anyone have any advice or tips (i.e. hotels, gas stations, conditions of road, how long of a drive in real time?) Any advice would be greatly appricated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 07:14 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,493,792 times
The road itself is paved and in good condition. Driving it in the next few months can get you into snow and ice conditions. I once drove it in December and the roads were clear, so it all depends. It's about a 1,000 miles so you're looking at 15-18 hours driving time. Gas is available along the whole road, but there are a couple of long stretches with limited services so be aware how far your car will go on a tank of gas.

As to how far you go all depends on when you leave P.R. Prince George is a little less than half way and a good stop. I've gone to Quesnel and Williams Lake which makes the next days driving shorter. All three have many hotels and options. If you're a member of AAA, order their BC travel book and get a Trip Tik. The book lists lodgings available in each town.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:17 PM

21,368 posts, read 37,942,379 times
You can keep an eye on the road conditions at:

Drive BC

Canada Travel Information - Highway and Road Conditions, Traffic and Transit

Road, Weather and Traffic Reports for US and Canada

Old 08-21-2008, 10:57 PM

98 posts, read 317,945 times
When I was a kid and then again in 99' we stayed in Prince Gorge for a night at a hotel called (I'm not sure of the spelling) Ester's inn. If you are driving from Rupert the first traffic light you come to if you make a left turn and drive for a few minutes you will see Ester's inn on the left side. It has indoor pools, hot tubs, A few little water slides for kids, and saunas. Worth looking into... I hope it's still there.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:04 PM

21,368 posts, read 37,942,379 times
Be careful when you drive into or out of Prince George, there are a bunch of crazy drivers there. I hate staying there and I hate the traffic there that seems to never stop no matter what time you go through there. The nice thing about it is that there is a Starbucks there when you come all the way down from Alaska.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:07 PM

98 posts, read 317,945 times
Starbucks=over rated or maybe Ketchikan is just blessed with many good places to buy coffee.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:31 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,614,552 times
Ester's Inn is still there. Crazy drivers in Prince George. I try to stop in Quesnel instead. If it's dark out the stretch of road between Prince George and Quesnel can be dangerous due to all the moose on the roadway. Last month I saw a collision between a moose and a Greyhound Bus. Neither one of them won. Also you may experience a lot of ground fog between Prince George and Prince Rupert. Caution advised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: