Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 11:11 PM

109 posts, read 335,279 times

Advertisements

hey all, i am hoping to move from MN to AK this sept. I was wondering what all goes on when you cross the border? do they run a background check on every person that crosses or something? how do they know if someone has a troubled past? i was also curious if anyone knew any laws or rules about taking a small african parrot with us on the move as we dont want to get rid of it. i bought a copy of the milepost magazine so i am set once i get across the border but i'm nervous about the border thing. any help would be great, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 11:27 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,121,949 times
Search.....best thing you can do.

Read here
Crossing the border and other things

Here
Canadian Border

Old 08-11-2008, 11:49 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,100,717 times
In addition to the references Warptman provided, here are the two official sites you need to follow to the letter --
the Canadian government to enter Canada:
AMCITS • Entering Canada • U.S. Consular Services in Canada (http://www.amcits.com/enter_canada.asp - broken link)
and the U.S. government to enter Alaska from Canada:
U.S. Customs and Border Protection - Travel (http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/ready_set_go/land_travel/ - broken link)

"how do they know if someone has a troubled past?"
Because it's been in both borders' computers for a long time.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:39 AM

so your saying they run everyones name through there computers before they let you through? or do they only run your name if they are suspicious of you or searching your car?

Old 08-12-2008, 11:01 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,541,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akbound08 View Post
so your saying they run everyones name through there computers before they let you through? or do they only run your name if they are suspicious of you or searching your car?
I believe there's a random factor as to whether you're run through the computer. Certainly, if they suspect something, you'll likely be run. Based on our trip this summer, US Customs checked both ways and Canadian Customs checked only one way. You'll most certainly be checked by US Customs, but they won't deny entry because of your background. I'd guess you stand at least a 75% chance of being checked by Canadian Customs because you're moving and they'll be suspicious you might set up residence in Canada. There is another thread where someone with something on his record, paid a fee to cross the border. You might search for that.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:31 AM

4,989 posts, read 10,020,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akbound08 View Post
...but i'm nervous about the border thing...
Why, is there something specific that you are worried about? If so, then it would be best to deal with this through the proper channels beforehand, rather than just leave it up to hope that everything will be fine at the time of crossing.

To answer your question, I can only go on personal experience and agree with akck that the decision to do a background check must be some sort of random spot check process or risk profiling. Most times I have crossed there simply could not have been enough time for the agent to have done anything since the encounters were so brief.

Crossing the border and other things

The only other possibility I can think of is that they may have some type of automated system that reads license plate numbers as you are waiting in line and has the relevant data already up on a display by the time you pull up to the booth. Then the decision to do further checks depends on if there are any discrepancies between your personal information and what was pulled by the computer. But this is just speculation.

I will tell you though that in all of my trips, there is usually much more scrutiny at the crossings back into the US. Often, the US agents will disappear into the back somewhere with my passport, I assume to run it through their super-secret Captain-Crunch decoder rings or whatever they do. Upon their return, I'm then usually required to pay a toll of some kind in the form of handing over my bag of beef jerky, or whatever other tasty snacks the border agents happen to be craving at that time. Our tax dollars hard at work!

Old 08-13-2008, 08:56 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,821,950 times
I've never had a problem crossing. And the one time I asked to get my passport stamped is when they did a background check.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:00 AM

thanks for the help everyone. i think i'm going to pay the extra money and take a ferry from bellingham up. i have a past dui and want to avoid the possible trouble at the border. anyone taken a ferry up? i'm just curious what its like if you don't get a room. i read something about sleeping on the floor on the solarium deck, is there room on decks inside somewhere to sleep? i have a one year old daughter going and am curious weather or not i can make the trip without a room.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:50 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,687,636 times
If you have a one year old child GET A ROOM. You be glad you did and so will everyone else on the ferry..

Old 08-13-2008, 09:52 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,121,949 times
Yea, what Stiffler said...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska