Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 08:30 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,507,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Metal View Post
maybe they shouldn't be going around hunting moose! anyone ever think of that? what did the moose ever do to them, to deserve to die?
I'm going bear hunting in a couple weeks in VT (could now but I'll wait, by the end of the month the fur's usually a bit nicer, and I'll have until November 19 to get a bear). Are you a bear hugger too? Animals kill other animals all the time for food. Humans are part of the food chain, as hunters and gatherers, and sometimes prey if an animal overpowers a human. I find it telling that the animal rights supporters usually (yeah there's exceptions but as a rule) are ignorant people from big cities who haven't got a clue how to survive unless someone else does all their work for them (namely, growing or butchering food, wrapping it in plastic, putting easy microwave instructions on the package, etc.). We've got millions of ignorant people in this country who couldn't last a week on their own, and they're intent on forcing their ignorance on the intelligent. The PETA type groups prey on the ignorant city dwellers in places like CA. Keep your ignorance of the real world in California where it fits in, people in other states, such as Alaska or much of VT, won't tolerate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 09:09 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,327,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrennie View Post
Exactly. Plus it's a bigtime f&g violation to leave your kill in the field. They HAD to stay with it or pack it out. You have to think about that before you shoot.
Even that isn't enough, sometimes. Was a guy who flew to one of the islands near Kodiak to hunt elk, then a wicked storm came up and it was about an extra week before his pick up plane could make it back. In the meantime, a bear got his elk - the guy wasn't going to argue with a bear, after all, and he didn't have a bear permit, so he couldn't shoot it. His life wasn't in danger, just his year's worth of meat. Fish and Feathers charged him with wanton waste, in spite of there not having been anything else he could do, confiscated his rifle and nailed him with a big fine.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:17 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,507,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
Even that isn't enough, sometimes. Was a guy who flew to one of the islands near Kodiak to hunt elk, then a wicked storm came up and it was about an extra week before his pick up plane could make it back. In the meantime, a bear got his elk - the guy wasn't going to argue with a bear, after all, and he didn't have a bear permit, so he couldn't shoot it. His life wasn't in danger, just his year's worth of meat. Fish and Feathers charged him with wanton waste, in spite of there not having been anything else he could do, confiscated his rifle and nailed him with a big fine.
You can kill a bear in defense of property not just your life. Still, based on what I've read about the F&G Dept. in AK, reporting to them anything that may get you in trouble isn't too smart (I'm not one to advocate breaking a legit. law but what I've read is pretty bad). I remember reading a couple stories on the AK Outdoors forums that people who shot moose found the antlers had some old damage on them, reported it to F&G, they were fined thousands of dollars because of that. F&G knew they'd done nothing themselves to the antlers, no intent to break any rules, didn't care, went after them with whopping fines. I think the F&G department is shooting itself in the foot doing things like that when there's obviously no intent of doing something wrong, just results in unreported takes/etc. out of fear of the fines, messing up the calculations and such used for determining seasons and limits. Results in hostility and less cooperation.

Old 09-13-2008, 10:51 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,327,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
You can kill a bear in defense of property not just your life. Still, based on what I've read about the F&G Dept. in AK, reporting to them anything that may get you in trouble isn't too smart (I'm not one to advocate breaking a legit. law but what I've read is pretty bad). I remember reading a couple stories on the AK Outdoors forums that people who shot moose found the antlers had some old damage on them, reported it to F&G, they were fined thousands of dollars because of that. F&G knew they'd done nothing themselves to the antlers, no intent to break any rules, didn't care, went after them with whopping fines. I think the F&G department is shooting itself in the foot doing things like that when there's obviously no intent of doing something wrong, just results in unreported takes/etc. out of fear of the fines, messing up the calculations and such used for determining seasons and limits. Results in hostility and less cooperation.
There are ways to get even. One of the favorite games when I first got to Kodiak was for someone to 'find' part of an eagle carcas on a beach. Someone official would have to go out and write up a report. Then a couple weeks later, another part of the carcas would be 'found' on a different beach - back to more report writing. It could take months for the whole carcas to be found, that way. Not that anyone ever killed one, it was just that finding one on a beach covered with sand fleas led to some very ingenious pranks with what Ma Nature provided.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:24 AM

273 posts, read 588,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
My bear rule would have come into play on that one.
That's NOT a frolicking bear

Old 09-13-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Can you tell it's nearly a full moon?

Yep, excellent time to hunt.

Old 09-13-2008, 01:21 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,842,411 times
So anyway...let this be a lesson people. If your going hunting this season...think about what can happen out there. Be prepared for the worst.

Old 09-13-2008, 01:28 PM

391 posts, read 1,030,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
So anyway...let this be a lesson people. If your going hunting this season...think about what can happen out there. Be prepared for the worst.

So true. I will say that I am AMAZED at some of the locations hunters end up being in. I've been doing alot of night/night vision goggle (relevant because you can easily see the campfires under goggles) over the last three weeks...and I've been in the middle of B.F.E. for the Interior and sure enough, there's a campfire. If ANYTHING happened to some of these hunters, it would be a hard way to go as far as getting to them (provided they have a satphone). Hard bark...and pretty cool to see men's presence way, way, way out there from the nearest road or river system.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best is a good motto for such situations.

Old 09-13-2008, 01:36 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,966,617 times
I remember seeing an article in the Frontiersman last winter about a local elementary school taking the kids up to Hatcher Pass for winter survival training. I'd hope that the training is reinforced over the years & sticks with the children.

Old 09-13-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
I remember seeing an article in the Frontiersman last winter about a local elementary school taking the kids up to Hatcher Pass for winter survival training. I'd hope that the training is reinforced over the years & sticks with the children.
The classes are required here. My daughter had to pack everything she'd possibly need in a coffee can before they boated out to another island. Good training.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska