Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 11:02 AM

109 posts, read 289,169 times

Advertisements

Just for the newbies cruising through, okay?

Fall is my favorite time of the year.

The leaves are turning, awaiting the big wind to strip them bare-but for now, they tick tick tick gently down like bright coins from the branches, the winds of passing vehicles sweeping them into waves of color alongside gravel roads. Homeowners grouse about getting them off their lawns, but most enterprising people use them as good mulch on their perennials.

Any place near the woods, you can smell that certain aroma of over ripe high bush cranberries-distinctively wet socks in a gym locker. Since most of the leaves have fallen off the berry bushes, this makes for easy picking for those who harvest what our lands provide. I generally make sure I pick an ample supply, even if it means putting off something else that needs doing....there is nothing quite like good moose summer sausage dipped in cranberry ketchup! Already in my freezer are strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, cranberries (high and low) plus others, as any person who puts by for the winter will agree-you can't have too many berries!

This is the time of singing chain saws, as folks work ferverishly to cut, split and stack firewood for the cold to come. You'll hear them as a back drop to air nailers, compressors, excavators, dozers and dumptrucks as people scramble to get projects buttoned up for winter. The pace of the noise is directly related to hunting season, increasing after 14B closes and the menfolk are home to get those last "honey do's" squared away.

It's also the time of enticing aromas near BBQs and the ever present Chief smokers-it's time to pull the salmon that you've been hording in the freezer from your fishing adventures, and get that smoker fired up. Many a jar is shared on porches and decks with friends and neighbors as recipies and methods are debated and evaluated at length. Some will be busy cutting up moose or perhaps a beef steer, and others will be frantically processing what they gleaned from their gardens. The poulty are either butchered or needing attention to their winter quarters, and livestock owners are scrambling to get hay, make repairs and improvements before freeze up.

The fuel tanks get topped (those that can afford it) and the kids are well settled into the routine of school and homework. Evenings are spent working through the fall chores, and last fishing trips for silvers and trout. The kids will whine to ride the wheelers, get cold and muddy, and huddle in front of the wood stove to warm up before dinner.

The mornings are seriously dark and now the home and barn lights are on so a person can see-but it's still light to 9 or thereabouts and who needs to sleep early? There's still plenty to do, like digging out the studded tires, putting away all the garden and outdoor items, and whatnot.

For myself, I will be spending the entire weekend processing things from the garden....the tomatoes out of the freezer into sauce, zucchini (of which I have a bountiful batch this year) into zucchini relish, some moose into stew to be pressure canned, and I will start the canning of potaoes and carrots. The berries in the freezer and smoking the salmon will just have to wait as the veggies won't-and neither will that cabbage I have sitting on the garage floor staying cool-it gets canned also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 11:09 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
We need to get the garden also. Sigh...

Old 09-26-2008, 11:58 AM

Rance, I wouldn't wait much longer....the last thing in my garden now is the brussel sprouts, which I plan to pull this weekend. What my son doesn't eat right off the stem we'll have with dinner over the weekend for sure. Nothing like fresh baby sprouts, yummy! We've also taken a shine to grilling our zucchini, and even did some beets on the grill...and nope, we aren't entirely nuts-they are actually pretty good, brushed with olive oil and sprinkled with sea salt and cracked pepper.

Old 09-26-2008, 12:00 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
Topping off fuel tanks is a hot issue down my way right now. People are behaving badly.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:11 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,942,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuValley View Post
Just for the newbies cruising through, okay?

Fall is my favorite time of the year.

The leaves are turning, awaiting the big wind to strip them bare-but for now, they tick tick tick gently down like bright coins from the branches, the winds of passing vehicles sweeping them into waves of color alongside gravel roads. Homeowners grouse about getting them off their lawns, but most enterprising people use them as good mulch on their perennials.

Any place near the woods, you can smell that certain aroma of over ripe high bush cranberries-distinctively wet socks in a gym locker. Since most of the leaves have fallen off the berry bushes, this makes for easy picking for those who harvest what our lands provide. I generally make sure I pick an ample supply, even if it means putting off something else that needs doing....there is nothing quite like good moose summer sausage dipped in cranberry ketchup! Already in my freezer are strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, cranberries (high and low) plus others, as any person who puts by for the winter will agree-you can't have too many berries!

This is the time of singing chain saws, as folks work ferverishly to cut, split and stack firewood for the cold to come. You'll hear them as a back drop to air nailers, compressors, excavators, dozers and dumptrucks as people scramble to get projects buttoned up for winter. The pace of the noise is directly related to hunting season, increasing after 14B closes and the menfolk are home to get those last "honey do's" squared away.

It's also the time of enticing aromas near BBQs and the ever present Chief smokers-it's time to pull the salmon that you've been hording in the freezer from your fishing adventures, and get that smoker fired up. Many a jar is shared on porches and decks with friends and neighbors as recipies and methods are debated and evaluated at length. Some will be busy cutting up moose or perhaps a beef steer, and others will be frantically processing what they gleaned from their gardens. The poulty are either butchered or needing attention to their winter quarters, and livestock owners are scrambling to get hay, make repairs and improvements before freeze up.

The fuel tanks get topped (those that can afford it) and the kids are well settled into the routine of school and homework. Evenings are spent working through the fall chores, and last fishing trips for silvers and trout. The kids will whine to ride the wheelers, get cold and muddy, and huddle in front of the wood stove to warm up before dinner.

The mornings are seriously dark and now the home and barn lights are on so a person can see-but it's still light to 9 or thereabouts and who needs to sleep early? There's still plenty to do, like digging out the studded tires, putting away all the garden and outdoor items, and whatnot.

For myself, I will be spending the entire weekend processing things from the garden....the tomatoes out of the freezer into sauce, zucchini (of which I have a bountiful batch this year) into zucchini relish, some moose into stew to be pressure canned, and I will start the canning of potaoes and carrots. The berries in the freezer and smoking the salmon will just have to wait as the veggies won't-and neither will that cabbage I have sitting on the garage floor staying cool-it gets canned also.
I have re-read this at least 6 times. Heaven, total heaven, and I am so jealous!!!!

Old 09-26-2008, 08:35 PM

Are there any pumpkins for sale?

Old 09-26-2008, 09:23 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,100,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Are there any pumpkins for sale?
I purchased two perfect and heavy pumpkins at WalMart of all places...they were supposed to be $4.99/pumpkin, but rang up at $2 apiece.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:36 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,842,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandLady View Post
I purchased two perfect and heavy pumpkins at WalMart of all places...they were supposed to be $4.99/pumpkin, but rang up at $2 apiece.
Lucky you - I saw some the other day at Fred's for .59 a pound, walked away....Will have to break down next week to get a decent one, we (Lizzy) have to have the cold, gooey, slimey experience of gutting the pumpkin

Old 09-26-2008, 09:38 PM

I like gutting the pumpkin & carving its face. I haven't done one in awhile.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:00 PM

Heehee hee!! I actually HAVE a pumpkin! That I grew myself! And, best of all, its a pir type. It's sitting in the garage, and is well over the size of a basketball.

Seriously, I am so proud of myself, I have been trying to grow pumpkins for years, with marginal results.

Wanna know the secret??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska