U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pass on 5 Acres @ Deadman Lake (Near manley hot springs)
Run! Run away as fast as you can! Even for $1,000 3 50.00%
It's OK, just don't expect much. You get what you pay for. 1 16.67%
I love this area and can't get enough of it. 0 0%
Not an area for the timid hearted or more people would live there. 3 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 02:18 AM

6,381 posts, read 13,756,459 times

Advertisements

Did any of the guys trying to get to Deadman Lake make it there or did the fold and pass on it?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 04:12 PM

2 posts, read 8,272 times
No one knows this lake better then Tim Berg or I. I lived full time on Deadman lake from 1992 to 2000. Built a couple log cabins and helped build several frame cabins there. The guy making the comments about drug dealers and baby rapers living around there....WTF? The people around there never gave me or my ex ol' lady any trouble. In fact, once you put in your time there and gain some respect, you will find people most helpful. Great friendships with some of the most honest hard working people in the world. Hard living, but it is healthy and wholesome out there. Just keep the hard alcohol away, and you will have no problems with others. Anyone buying a lot at Deadman site unseen is probably not going to be all that happy. Why live on a lake that is so remote and then not buy a lakefront parcel? you are missing the best part of bush comfort. Ease of access to drinking/bathing/cooking water, fishing out your front door, less bugs, and of course the incredible view are reasons to buy lakefront. Problem is, a lot of the waterfront is already owned, and what is left is not very desirable because of permafrost, bad building sites, etc. As far as walking there goes, forget it. Impossible in summer, and in winter you are better off hauling in stuff with a snowmachine using the old telegraph trail from Manley unless you know the way there from Fairbanks or Nenana. Most people don't last out there very long for one reason or another. It really isn't very remote once you live there awhile. Good luck to you all.... "Ranger Ron"....

Old 09-18-2013, 04:35 PM

2 posts, read 8,272 times
No one is walking there in summertime, at least not anyone with good common sense. Charter Andy Greenblatt of Shadow Aviation. (If he is still in business then he is very knowledgable of the area, and a great pilot as well. Well worth the money!) In the winter, access is easy on a snow machine from Manley Hot Springs using the old telegraph trail, as long as you know what your doing that is. Carry an extra belt and headlight along with a bumper jack and snow shovel. A chainsaw is good to have along the way for clearing parts of the trail if needed. It's only 23 miles one way from Manley to the lake. I've made the trip dozens of times for my mail and extra supplies, propane and gas. Try to stay off the Tanana River as much as possible. Much safer to stay on the bluffs if you can, although you will need to travel on the river once in awhile. Good luck.

Old 02-14-2014, 04:13 PM

19 posts, read 34,188 times
Hi everyone , I bought land at deadman lake , southeast side. planning on living there permanate . most likely in 2015. kinda early retirement , really cant take the lower 48 any more. selling off everything at this moment to head that way

Old 02-14-2014, 07:29 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,002,499 times
Good luck and I hope you can post your progress.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecameron View Post
Hi everyone , I bought land at deadman lake , southeast side. planning on living there permanate . most likely in 2015. kinda early retirement , really cant take the lower 48 any more. selling off everything at this moment to head that way
Hope you had some time to stand on the property and get a good feel for it.

Have you decided what kind of snowmachine you will get for winter transportation?

When I was hauling supplies out to Totek Lake where I built my cabin, I had a track rig and snowmachines to haul freight out to build the cabin from Nenana. A guy came up to me when I was putting gas in them at the gas station and asked if he could follow use to the lake where he had bought land. I told him it wasn't a problem and asked what kind of snowmachine he had, and he said he had an Ford pickup.

He had sold everything in the States, loaded up his truck and drove to Alaska. When I told him he could follow us about half a mile to where we crossed the Nenana River, because that was where the road at 10th street ended. He said "No, there is a winter road there", seems the guy that sold him the land said he could drive there in his truck in winter.

That isn't the case, and pointed out that we were using snowmachines and tracked rigs for a reason.

Needless to say, I have never seen him out there in the last five years or so....

Just make sure you do your homework before you get started and good luck on your adventure.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:31 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,002,499 times
I am assuming that the Nenana never freezes over?

Old 02-18-2014, 04:42 PM

any up dated pictures of the lake

Old 02-18-2014, 04:50 PM

thanks starlite, yea im selling almost everything and when I get up there im buying a new snowmachine and 4 wheeler. and if I have to live in town a while , while im learning and takeing supplies out to where I want to be.I know it will be an awakeing. but am researching and gathering all info that I can.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
I am assuming that the Nenana never freezes over?

Yep, the Nenana River freezes over.... But it isn't a major winter travel route like the Tanana or Yukon Rivers except to cross in most cases.

There is a lot of misconception about the Town/River of Nenana... The river in front of the town of Nenana where the "Nenana Ice Classics" is played in spring, is in fact on the Tanana River, the Nenana River comes in from the South, just West of the town where it dumps into the Tanana River.

As for Freezing, the ice where the Tripod sits that people bet on spring breakup ($300,000+- pot), is normally about four feet thick of ice under it. The Nenana river also freezes over, but as in most of the big rivers, they do not freeze solid, they always have a river of water under them flowing. At times when the cold gets really bad, say under -20f, that water will freeze deeper and then the water flows up on top of the ice and causes "Overflow" because there is no room to flow under the ice, which in a lot of cases you can't see because it flows under the snowcover. But if you drive over it on a snow machine, the water splashes up on the metal parts and freezes almost instantly causing you to be stuck unless you can get it jacked up and put logs under it to keep it from freezing in, or pulled out. In either case you don't want to be wet at sub zero temps, it can be very dangerous.

To acess my cabin, I have to cross the Nenana River, and like all the big rivers, there may be open leads that don't freeze over, and those can be dangerous to someone who isn't use to river travel and if you drive over by those areas, you can go through thin ice and be pretty much a lost cause.

www.nenanaakiceclassic.com

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska