Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 10:08 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,855,137 times

Advertisements

Any mountain pass,no matter where in blinding snow, is worth many kudos, girl - give those boys lots of hugs, and that doggie too!!! That adrenaline and shaky legs, god hate that feeling.....Megan, once again you rock - the boys helped after you agreed on direction and duty..., if you would have lost it, nobody would have had a chance...You go girl

PS - I so love this story, all was good and the way it should be, perfect world, stop to help, perfect ending....Ahhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Only on the internet, but glad it happened for them!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 10:31 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,961,623 times
Deb I wouldn't want to go up the hill to where you live in a snowstorm like the one that Pat was in.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:08 PM

639 posts, read 1,916,737 times
I think I had my fill of adventure for a while. Now I am waiting to see what the temp does for the night at last check it was -16 and it is suppose to go to -30

Old 10-26-2008, 11:20 PM

Your water pipes are insulated, yes?

Old 10-27-2008, 12:19 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,434,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megensmom View Post
I had emailed about our adventure to some of my relatives down south and they can't belive that I am not ready to throw in the towel and move to Fairbanks. Yeah it could've been bad,really bad because we could've been stuck up there for many more hours if it wasn't for the fact that the DOT guy was up there and could call base to let them know what was going on. But I now belive fully in packing a gear bag and would tell anyone traveling a road where there isn't a lot of traffic even if they are going in the middle of the day to have one. You just don't know what could happen and my event sure showed me how quick it can.
I have never been in weather so cold that it actually froze my hair. And my lord my two boys they worked they really stepped up to the plate and without them I would've been in more of a bind. They shoveled snow,kept my windshield clean and then walked in front of the van so that we could move forward when we got off the snowdrift. I told them both when we were safely off the mountain that I was so proud of them and that they kept their heads and helped. I could see though where someone might panic with the snow blowing the way it was I was disoriented and I even got a little upset(thanks to them I gathered my mind and was moving again) but I kept saying I can do this,I will do this and I just paid attention to everything and only moved when I knew exactly where I was going.
My gear bag though kept my little one who is 6yrs old nice and warm and she even cuddled under a blanket and slept.
Today the report up there is snow drifts over 8ft high,60-70mph winds,and the wind chill is like -40 the last I heard. The road of course is closed. The one mistake I did make though was I didn't call to someone up here before I headed up even though they wouldn't have known about this storm they would've known I was on my way up. So my other word of advice is call someone and report in often.
Are you required to at least carry snow chain in area such as the mountains? The reason I ask is because in CA., when then Mountains are capped, in order to dive up the mountians roads, you are required to have snow chains on your tires.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:04 AM

639 posts, read 1,916,737 times
Our temp got to -31. Yes everything is insulated even though we don't have running water they are done because we will have eventually. We also made another change yesterday we took out our old small woodburning stove and put in a barrel stove and wow the difference with the temps last night I was sure glad we did.
As far as I know I don't think chains are required here for anything other than big rigs. And even if I had on chains with the conditions I was in it wouldn't have made any difference.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:32 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,855,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Deb I wouldn't want to go up the hill to where you live in a snowstorm like the one that Pat was in.
Barking -that one of ours isn't so bad with the trees on the sides, helps block some of the wind, and pretty well stays plowed since one of the few highways in AK and used so much - and the DOT yard is right across the road from ours!!!! I'd take that anyday before a mountain pass, I hate heights anyway and throws my equilibrium off

Old 10-27-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
I hate heights anyway and throws my equilibrium off

I guess you don't wear heels much then do you.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:07 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,562,225 times
Wow what an adventure. I really didn't know that you can have conditions that bad in October. Coodles to you and your boys for making it home safe and for what they did to help, when to outcome could have been much worse.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:12 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,434,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post

I guess you don't wear heels much then do you.
only under snow boots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska