Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 09:25 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,287,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAM View Post
on last night's new Flying Wild Alaska episode, a girl dressed up to go to a prom, was wearing black bunny boots under her dress, with pink laces. she was hopping into a bush plane in UNK to go pick up her date who lived in another village. so i guess bunny boots can be acceptable formal wear in AK!
I've seen Xtra Tufs at a wedding, so bunny boots at a prom isn't surprising. What I think is funny is when I see people around here wearing bunny boots when it's like 30 degrees out. I guess some people just like them, but they look so big and clumsy I can't imagine wearing them when you don't have to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 09:34 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,379,117 times
are UGG-type boots popular there? thats my favorite footwear, aside from cowboy boots of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
I've seen Xtra Tufs at a wedding, so bunny boots at a prom isn't surprising. What I think is funny is when I see people around here wearing bunny boots when it's like 30 degrees out. I guess some people just like them, but they look so big and clumsy I can't imagine wearing them when you don't have to.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:04 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,287,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAM View Post
are UGG-type boots popular there? thats my favorite footwear, aside from cowboy boots of course.
I've seen people wear them in the summer here. I haven't owned any, so I'm not sure how waterproof they are. Don't know if I'd tromp through wet snow and slush in something like that, but they might be alright in drier areas.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:30 PM

868 posts, read 1,426,745 times
I see them quite a bit in Anchorage. If your plans for the day allow you to keep to walkways that have been cleared, they would probably be fine in town. A couple of sidewalks I use every day are not only rarely clear, but often buried in snow that's been plowed off the street. I haven't worn anything but my Sorels outside since the day I got them, and probably won't until after break-up.

They look like comfy boots, though, and they would probably be nice on cooler summer evenings, and in the fall.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:45 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,914,585 times
Is there a name for the loose-fitting mukluk type boots we had in the Canadian Army? They are somewhat like the Cabela's mukluks used by the guy they sponsor in the Iditarod, but they were dated about 1965 or so, and were all white canvas and rubber material construction. They had 1) a major rubber bottom sole, 2) a felt insole, 3) next, a waffle type hard plastic insole that lifted your foot off the first felt sole, and 4) an inner felt bootie.

The key, of course, is never have anything too tight on your foot. With these boots I also wore a silk inner sock, and then a nice CLEAN! (important!) pair of wool socks with a nylon weave for strength and non-stretch. Again... too tight means cold!

I always wondered what they called them, unless it was, in typical Army parlance: "Boot, Army, Winter, White, Heavy-Duty, Mukluk"!!!.

Or... Beaver Bootz?

Old 12-26-2011, 01:07 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,783,915 times
One quick warning about 'bunny boots' Make sure if you are ever going to attempt to drive a vehicle; Make sure before you ever start that vehicle up; that you have clearance on the brake and gas for that boot. On some vehicles your boot might stick or not fit !! That can in some cases be the cause instant disaster.

Old 12-26-2011, 03:48 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,821,950 times
I have a pair of Ugg type rubber boots with steel toe. I don't like them. They have no traction on diamond plate steel or ice. Bunny boots are far more superior I think.

Old 01-07-2012, 02:12 AM

2 posts, read 9,119 times
I. Saw that episode and it actual turned me onto bunny boots (white)/mickey mouse boots(black). I'm gonna get a pair as soon as I'm done with college cuz I love snow camping and am gonna be working in all sorts of weather. I did find a few different websites that sell them reasonably cheap but the place I'm gonna get mine also sells all sorts of military surplus items, here is a link to the site.

Coleman's Military Surplus, army surplus. survival gear, hunting, camping gear

Check it out for all sorts of good stuff including bunny boots and other military issue cold weather gear.

Old 01-07-2012, 05:44 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,876,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
One quick warning about 'bunny boots' Make sure if you are ever going to attempt to drive a vehicle; Make sure before you ever start that vehicle up; that you have clearance on the brake and gas for that boot. On some vehicles your boot might stick or not fit !! That can in some cases be the cause instant disaster.
Well I have one type of comfort boot to drive in and keep the heavy duty boot in case of emergency.. I am very cautious when it comes to driving and restrictive foot wear...

when you take claims and listen to deaths due to not being able to react quick enough you learn to adjust the habits.. no experience in the Alaskan winter driving but next year I will get that experience if all works out...

Old 01-07-2012, 08:02 AM

10 posts, read 18,465 times
We used Baffin Polar series boots on our trip to Fairbanks last week. Most of our outdoor excursions were only for an hour or so, but we did a couple that were longer. The Baffins worked great and were lightweight and easy to pack in our luggage. We were not really around water at all, so were not concerned about having waterproof protection.

I wear a size 11 shoe and easily got the boots into a set of large Cabela's Outfitter Pro snowshoes.

I agree on checking that you can drive a car while wearing the boots. I drove our rental SUV a short distance wearing the pac boots and had a difficult time with the pedals. I wound up bringing extra shoes for driving.

-Ax
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska