Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 08:11 AM

16 posts, read 222,044 times

Advertisements

Hi! We are thinking about relocating to Fairbanks and wanted to know if the US military issue bunny boots are really that much better than say Sorel's -40 to 60 F boots? I have not seen the bunnies in person, just online so I am not sure who has authentic (vs cheap Chinese knock offs) and the sizes (I have wide feet and find it hard to find a wide shoe/boot without it having to be a few sizes bigger than I need). Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 09:32 AM

12 posts, read 74,940 times
Thermo man,

Bunny Boots are the preferred choice of boots here on the slope, and most Army/Navy stores here in Alaska carry a wide range of sizes for them.
But, unless your working out in the weather during those temps, I don't know that you need such an extreme weather pair of boots.
If you are, on the other hand, then yes, get some.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:32 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,441,429 times
If you buy a pack style boot plan on extra liners as they need to be changed every day or two.

Bunny boots are the best as long as you change your socks daily. Buy the ones made in USA by Bata or mill surpluss. Watchout for Korean knock offs as they are not as warm. Yes they have them in your size, and the white ones don't like fuel or gas so if your working around petorleum then get the black ones. Make sure you leave the valves on the sides open if you fly someshere. Most temps I wear a light pair of wool or medium cotton socks then wool for colder days.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:52 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,031,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermo Man View Post
Hi! We are thinking about relocating to Fairbanks and wanted to know if the US military issue bunny boots are really that much better than say Sorel's -40 to 60 F boots? I have not seen the bunnies in person, just online so I am not sure who has authentic (vs cheap Chinese knock offs) and the sizes (I have wide feet and find it hard to find a wide shoe/boot without it having to be a few sizes bigger than I need). Thanks
It depends on what you are doing. If you are going to be outside in -40 weather for hours on end you can't beat the bunny boots. If you are only out for an hour or so then the sorels are lighter.

If you are going to be traipsing around in the woods where you might fall through the ice and soak your feet in below 0 weather than the bunny boots are the way to go.

If you are just worried about walking from your car to the office, loafers work just fine.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:37 AM

4,989 posts, read 10,016,720 times
Bunny Boots are not necessarily any better than other extreme cold weather boots in terms of insulation. In fact, some of the newer, hi-tech type materials used in boots such as Sorel's have better insulative properties than the felt based construction of Bunny Boots. However, where BB's excel is in their ability to keep your feet warm if you should happen to fall in the water. I actually prefer my newer style Baffin Boots to wear around for general use if I know I wont have any chance of getting my feet wet. To me at least, they are lighter, more comfortable, and don't have the annoying chafing problem at the top of the cuff. However, for slogging around in the back-country where the possiblity of falling into water exists, BB's could quite literally save your feet.

Old 10-26-2008, 12:41 PM

391 posts, read 1,029,822 times
Thermo,

UNLESS you and/or your wife are going to be working / playing (ie hunting/snowmachining) outside for EXTENDED periods in the winter, you are over buying any of the pac or bunny boots. Same goes for getting "snow pants", etc. VAST majority of people wear....jeans (or similar weight) with long underwear, good insulating hat, gloves and coat. Personally, I have a pair of Thinsulate, waterproof Carhartt leather work boots that do more than fine for everything I do in the Interior winter. My pac boots (dust). In actuality, the Carhartts are worn 10-20% and "approach shoes" (low hikers) or every once in a blue moon hiking boots do most of my daily duty IN/around town.

If you're for sure going to be outside for more than 30 minutes and be stationary, have at it. I just don't want you blowing a bunch of cash that the majority rarely find the need for.

Old 10-26-2008, 12:49 PM

16 posts, read 222,044 times
Default Thanks

Hey thanks everyone! Yeah right off the bat I would just be going from the car to work (inside), playing outside with the kids, and etc. Bunnies sound like they will work once we start to go hunting etc. Will be a while before that starts since we will need to get settled in and get to know the area better etc.

I have another question. What do I need to do or pick up inorder to "plug the car in" in the winter. When we lived in Minnesota I remember people doing that but not in Ohio or here in Va. I know it helps with the battery bc it is harder to get the car to turn over but what do I have to do to retro fit the car to be able to do that (2003 Dodge Caravan: mini van)?

Old 10-26-2008, 12:58 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,560,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermo Man View Post
If you live in and are going to be around Fairbanks, then just a good pair of Snowmachine type boots will do you fine with felt liners. If you are going to be somewhere when you can be stuck outside for extended periods of time at sub zero weather, then the BB's are the best option. Even in a car breaking down on the highway, snowmachine or other item where the options are limited in an emergency. You can't "Upgrade" in the "Panic Mode".

Old 10-26-2008, 01:27 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,802,580 times
check these out.....

Muck Boots: Arctic Sport Extreme Conditions Boot

I personally have the muckmaster's and wetland's. But be advised, the soles wear quickly on concrete, and if you do like them, order one size larger than your normal shoe. They fit exact.

http://www.hanksclothing.com/muck_boots.html

Old 10-26-2008, 02:34 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,942,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
check these out.....

Muck Boots: Arctic Sport Extreme Conditions Boot

I personally have the muckmaster's and wetland's. But be advised, the soles wear quickly on concrete, and if you do like them, order one size larger than your normal shoe. They fit exact.

Muck Boots & Muck Shoes at hanksclothing.com
I like the look of those much better than bunny boots. Great link!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska