Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2008, 02:04 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,520,987 times

Advertisements

So I tried to search for "fishing tourism" here in the AK forum, but couldn't find what I'm looking for. Does anyone know about fishing tourism in AK? We were having a discussion with my brother about going up and catching some halibut, salmon, or ??? , having it processed/frozen and shipped home to California. I know I saw something like this on a TV program and was curious if any locals knew about this and had any recommendations?

We wouldn't be interested in ice fishing (we're from California, don't forget ) but something like going out on a boat and reelin' 'em in would be fun and delicious/nutritious for months to come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 02:07 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,253,458 times
Theres plenty of halibut charters out of the Kenai Peninsula. The state has a limit of two per person I believe. Look up halibut charters out of Homer, the "halibut capital" of Alaska.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:45 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,738,970 times
Ketchikan. A whole sub culture built just on charter fishing. I recommend these guys. They put on a good trip. I talk to them every week and they are just honest, nice hardworking people.

Silver King Alaska

Old 10-27-2008, 02:54 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,578,699 times
You can also get salmon/halibut charters out of Ketchikan, Sitka and Juneau. Check the F&G web site to look for the latest restrictions on visitor catch limits. Here's a link to charters in the Juneau area:

www.juneau.com - Juneau Alaska Community Website

One for Ketchikan:

Ketchikan Alaska sportfishing

And Sitka:

Welcome to Sitka, Alaska

Timing wise, your best bet for catching fish are in late July or August. That period gives you a shot at good coho salmon runs and halibut, with chances to pick up a feeder king. The charters usually know how to deal with shipping fish back home.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:15 PM

2,048 posts, read 3,825,377 times
Prowl around in Alaska Outdoor Directory....

You'll find guys there that can help you, answer your questions, and direct you to guides that won't rip ya off...

Alaska Outdoors Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Old 10-27-2008, 07:23 PM

2,048 posts, read 3,825,377 times
And....the fishing charter guys at Craig on Prince of Wales Island are as good as they come

3 hours west of Ketchikan on the IFA ferry system.....and ya don't have to put up with the cruise ship sheep & crappolla associated with Ketchikan

Easy access from Seattle...hour and a half flight to Ketchikan and either a 30 minute flight out to the Craig waterfront or a nice ride on the ferry

Old 10-27-2008, 11:03 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,904,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Theres plenty of halibut charters out of the Kenai Peninsula. The state has a limit of two per person I believe. Look up halibut charters out of Homer, the "halibut capital" of Alaska.
I think that is per day, and do it in the late spring, summer, and might want to ship back in a box or cooler after flash frozen, cheaper on the plane even now than Fed-EX or otherwise....

Old 10-28-2008, 09:27 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,928,888 times
Most any town on the peninsula has fishing charters. Seward, Cooper Landing, Soldotna, Kenai, Clam Gulch, Ninilchik, Anchor Point, Homer...

Have a look in the Peninsula Clarion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska