Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 01:10 AM

2 posts, read 11,316 times

Advertisements

Hi there, My name is Allen and I'm a 35 yr.old man who has always wanted to go to Alaska and work as a deckhand or something exciting but not to crazy or dangerous. I have had a lot of jobs threw out my life but all mostly construction or sales jobs. I am a strong and tall man who wants to broaden myself to more of a great workout and some good money to. Can anyone point me out in the right direction as to what a beginner who loves the discovery channel and want to live out the life and see the beauty's of Alaska and do something fun and rewarding before I get to old and regretful later. I'd like to go out during the summer months, anyone looking to hire a temp. deckhand greenhorn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 11:04 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,640,053 times
You might be too late for some fishing jobs... But a great resource for seasonal work in Alaska is here: Alaska Jobs | CoolWorks.com

Old 05-07-2015, 05:09 AM

195 posts, read 280,104 times
World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms - WWOOF

WWOOF usually has sites hiring in Alaska. There isn't big money to be made, but it's a cool way to see the state.

Old 05-09-2015, 09:03 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,321,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasha2000 View Post
Hi there, My name is Allen and I'm a 35 yr.old man who has always wanted to go to Alaska and work as a deckhand or something exciting but not to crazy or dangerous. I have had a lot of jobs threw out my life but all mostly construction or sales jobs. I am a strong and tall man who wants to broaden myself to more of a great workout and some good money to. Can anyone point me out in the right direction as to what a beginner who loves the discovery channel and want to live out the life and see the beauty's of Alaska and do something fun and rewarding before I get to old and regretful later. I'd like to go out during the summer months, anyone looking to hire a temp. deckhand greenhorn
Quote:
My name is Allen and I'm a 35 yr.old man who has always wanted to go to Alaska and work as a deckhand or something exciting but not to crazy or dangerous.
Firstly, you disqualify yourself with the above sentence. Commercial fishing is exceptionally dangerous.

Quote:
and some good money to
Next, commercial fishing only provides an opportunity, read POTENTIAL, to make some good money in a short period of time, it is NEVER a given. Ponder the word fishing and all it implies, that should illuminate the "light bulb".

Quote:
I'd like to go out during the summer months, anyone looking to hire a temp. deckhand greenhorn
Making inquiries for the fishing industry positions should begin in late March - early April, though you may be able to find a place at a processing facility or on a floating processor,or tender, if you really want to work hard. Know also that if you want to work in the fishing industry AND see Alaska, well you will not have time to see Alaska, you will working every waking moment.

Lastly, disregard all that BS on the Discovery channel, it does nothing more than romanticize Alaska and mislead people like you.

Old 05-09-2015, 10:55 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,125,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasha2000 View Post
Dear Allen,

Working as a deckhand is extremely dangerous, unless you're a deckhand working on The Love Boat. Period.

Your Cruise Director,
Julie McCoy

Old 05-09-2015, 11:29 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,917,833 times
Old legends die hard.

I'll just leave this here.

Crab fishing: Most dangerous job not so dangerous anymore - Jul. 27, 2012

The same pretty much holds true for the salmon fishery. I can't even remember when the last time someone lost their life in the commercial seine fleet.

Old 05-09-2015, 11:50 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,125,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Old legends die hard.

The same pretty much holds true for the salmon fishery. I can't even remember when the last time someone lost their life in the commercial seine fleet.
Interesting. Thanks, Met. I normally pay pretty close attention to information like that since I work in dangerous industries, but I totally missed this.

Dear Allen,

Don't listen to me. I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Your Cruise Director,
Julie McCoy

Old 05-09-2015, 12:07 PM

20,325 posts, read 37,338,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
Interesting. Thanks, Met. I normally pay pretty close attention to information like that since I work in dangerous industries, but I totally missed this.

Dear Allen,

Don't listen to me. I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Your Cruise Director,
Julie McCoy
Me thinks that the OP has been watching some of them Alaska fishing shows.

Last edited by RayinAK; 05-09-2015 at 12:22 PM..

Old 05-09-2015, 01:32 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,255,030 times
Just buy a one way ticket to dutch harbor, you're guaranteed a job!

Old 05-09-2015, 01:32 PM

2,136 posts, read 2,321,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Old legends die hard.

Well, having commercially fished for 10 years in the waters of Prince William Sound, Cook Inlet and Bristol in the shrimp trawl , black cod and halibut long line as well as the salmon drift gill net fisheries, I can attest to how dangerous the pursuit is. Loss of life is not the single determining factor of risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: