U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2007, 08:36 PM

395 posts, read 1,601,314 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of going toward Haines by car to Washington then by ferry to Haines. Though I've been in Haines several times, it was during the Summer months. What is the general weather like during that period? Are all the snow gone by then? Is it faster and/or less expensive by ferry or is it better driving there assuming my start point is S. Ca.?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2007, 11:43 PM

15,599 posts, read 37,091,514 times
I've only been on the ferry from Wrangell to Petersburg. It was kind of nice to just kick back and not deal with having to do any driving. The Alcan is nice in April. I did it last April and the roads were pretty much dry, going down and back.

Old 02-21-2007, 01:53 AM

3,774 posts, read 10,494,052 times
I did the Inside Passage from Bellingham to Juneau and the ferry from Juneau to Whittier. I've never done the Alcsn, but I hear it's a hoot.

Old 02-22-2007, 10:28 PM

Hi Mal,
Did U take some wheels w/U and what time of years was it? I was thinking of taking my wheels w/me since there seem to be a lack of any auto rental agencies in Haines. I do know the ferry people seem to have good computer records of people travelling w/a vehicle. I was embarrassed last year when I guess at the length of one of my vehicle while travelling between Haines and Juneau. They politely said I seem to be a foot shy and proceed to measure it. It seems a year previous to that, I gave them a number that match their measurement. Still they were very, very polite about it. That is the great thing about U Alaskans. Nothing fluster U. It reminded me of my farming days 60 years back when neighbors were family.

Old 02-24-2007, 04:10 PM

3,774 posts, read 10,494,052 times
Took a Chevy Cobalt, and it was in June. A great trip. Make reservations early as a lot of tourists also use the ferry, and dates fill up quickly. It's a pretty friendly group of people, and in June, you can sleep on the deck.

Old 03-17-2007, 04:53 AM

4 posts, read 24,015 times
If you want to come up to Haines I can give you a great scoop, I live here. The ferry is going to be your best bet because it is going to cost you about the same amount of time to drive as it would to take the ferry. We have had a record amount of snow this year. If you come up in April there is more a chance than not that there will still be plenty of snow on the ground. Put it this way. We have had so much snow in Haines this year that the only windows in our house you can see out of without looking up are on the second story.
The good news about coming up in April is that the driver goes free on the ferry. If you wait until May it will cost up to $300.00 more. JavaPhil is right though, make your reservations early the tourist season is just about to begin so space will go fast. And do yourself a favor, don't get a cabin on the boat just bring along a small inflatable bed and a cooler of food. They have Lockers you can fit a small cooler into and public showers that they keep pretty clean. This will save you at least another $400.00 on the trip. The ferry system does have great food, but if you don't want to spend a lot bring along a lot of quick breakfast and easy lunch items and just eat dinner in the ships cafe.
And do yourself another favor if you are driving up to Bellingham to get on the ferry. Get to the terminal early! The ferry typically leaves Bellingham at 5pm be at the terminal by noon, check in and get in line. I took a trip down to the 48 last December,supposedly the dead of the season. I didn't get reservations coming home from Bellingham and was the 11th person on stand by waiting to get on the boat. I ended up being the second to the last car to get on the ship. Talk about a nail-biting experience.

Hope you have a great trip.

Last edited by amhs03; 03-17-2007 at 05:24 AM..

Old 03-17-2007, 10:13 AM

14 posts, read 71,549 times
Ferry's a great ride , bring a camera .

Old 03-19-2007, 12:35 AM

Thanks for the tip, AM. Yes, U guys have a great ferry system. Since the fast ferrys came into service, it has been even better. I don't know about the other areas, but the number of trips I took between Haines to Juneau and points south were the same price for the slow boat as the fast one. Now this snow thing. Gee, I thought snow in Haines were only averaging in the inches, not in the feet. I was commenting in another thread how much warmer it would be in Haines as compared to Soldotna or the Anchorage areas. So, to drive in Haines in April would mean chains or, the very least, studded tires? I certainly will try the sites put out by UAF. Thanks!! My other choice is to fly into Juneau and rent a car for the trip to Haines.

Old 03-19-2007, 08:41 AM

14 posts, read 71,549 times
Chains arent for long hauls , ya cant get much over 30 or 40 mph before they come unglued and give your car a spanking .

Old 03-19-2007, 10:44 PM

Hi Placid,
Are U recommending snow tires? AM, what are you and the locals using on the cars even after the snowplow come thru. I remember distinctly one of the R.E. agant saying the city roads are taken care of during the winter so I assume it meant snowplowing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska