Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 01:17 PM

17 posts, read 43,511 times

Advertisements

yea great help thanks again everyone. Not sure if anyone would know but are renters of houses likely to rent to us with just getting off plane no jobs no address ect.. we didnt have a problem when we moved from Ohio to the fl keys (which is off the grid kinda like i imagine alaska) we would be able to show how and what we had in orlando and would have refrences but as many times as i have seen you guys in posts talking about how most dont stay im worried renters may be cautious and we end up homeless lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 01:46 PM

21 posts, read 45,780 times
As for shipping things to yourself, just rent a box at a place like Mailboxes etc. Not only can you mail things but they accept UPS and FedEx and such. You can forward your mail there and just use that address until have a permanent home. We did that when moving from AK last spring, it was great, we had things waiting when we arrived and used it for all our mail while renting until we purchased our new home.

Old 11-13-2008, 02:05 PM

OMG just tried to call a few places up there I have free long distance but still cant call there is it international or something lol im confused

Old 11-13-2008, 03:16 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,032,996 times
Your free long distance must not include Alaska

Old 11-13-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleetsB View Post
OMG just tried to call a few places up there I have free long distance but still cant call there is it international or something lol im confused
Welcome to life in Alaska-better get used to it!!!!

Old 11-13-2008, 05:34 PM

yea had to call phone company 6 cents a min. wouldnt be an issue once there just a pain in planning

Old 11-13-2008, 05:44 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,943,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akor View Post
As for shipping things to yourself, just rent a box at a place like Mailboxes etc. Not only can you mail things but they accept UPS and FedEx and such. You can forward your mail there and just use that address until have a permanent home. We did that when moving from AK last spring, it was great, we had things waiting when we arrived and used it for all our mail while renting until we purchased our new home.
Akor did they limit how much they would hold for you? Just curious how that works if you shipped a larger box of books or something, but only rented a small mail box. This is really a great idea as I had thought about mailing myself whatever I could fit in my vehicle but wrote it off to not having a permanent address to mail to. Thanks for the great info!

Old 11-13-2008, 11:17 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,567,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyoness View Post
Starlite, you just put a great spin on one of my dilemmas, great idea! But I gotta spread the luv I would be curious if anyone had ideas about how to mail yourself some of your things if you have no permanent address yet too. Would anyone know if you could just call the post office and have them hold mail for you ?
I would either put the stuff in storage there, and then ship it as a pallet of "Freight" which is much cheaper than mail.

Most storage areas are connected to a shipping company. One pallet may cost you a couple of hundred dollars to ship (or more), but it will be even more at the P.O. one box at a time.

When I was in Ohio at the in-laws, I had to buy a bunch of tools to do work on the house. Mailed them back, three boxes at about twenty pounds each were a total of almost one hundred dollars by slow boat. Not a great deal anymore. The pallet with plywood sides can be filled with boxes and will get to you when you want it shipped... where ever you are at in Alaska.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:26 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,364,648 times
Sleets - Private message me if you're interested.........we rented a "vacation" home that's fully furnished for 30 days while we looked for our rental. We are now finishing up at that one and should be into our permanent rental in Wasilla in the next week or so. I can send you a link for this "temporary" place with more pertinent details......don't want to activate any rules for posting about it publicly.........
Dawn

Old 11-14-2008, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyoness View Post
Akor did they limit how much they would hold for you? Just curious how that works if you shipped a larger box of books or something, but only rented a small mail box. This is really a great idea as I had thought about mailing myself whatever I could fit in my vehicle but wrote it off to not having a permanent address to mail to. Thanks for the great info!
Not sure how much they hold but it not limited to what fits in your box. We had several large boxes waiting for us.

As others have stated I would ship the bulk of items a different way, we used a shipping company but that took 3 weeks, we just used the box for our mail and items that we needed to be waiting for us when we arrived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska